Security Installer Community

Beware The Airing Cupboard

antinode

Did a domestic upgrade/install today and all was going well until I started clipping some cables in the airing cupboard. I was chatting to the customer on the landing when all of a sudden water started to run out of the shower pump. Turns out the vibration from my clipping (which was very gentle if you ask me!) had caused an already knackered rubber washer inside the shower pump to give up and leak. As it turns out, this piddly little washer is the only thing connecting the hot/cold mixer output and the pump impeller assembly together! No locking nuts, no rubber seals, no bracket, nothing. Totally **** design. Anyway, 2 and half hours later, we managed to repair it and get everything working again. Beware the expensive tot that is Aqualisa.

Oh and to top the day off, was replacing a faulty bell in the cold and dark last job when it transpired that the shiny new Nova 4 I replaced it with was also faulty out of the box. Luckily, I had another one in the van :rolleyes: Definitely one of those days you just want to put behind you and hope never happens again!

Trade Member

Leave the plumbing to the toilet technicians, but what was the problem with the Nova4?

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Think this was the first time, other than a faulty G2-12 that I've had a piece of new gear not work out of the box! Probably wouldn't have bothered me that much normally but I just wanted to get home lol.

It just wouldn't power up at all, either from the battery or from the hold off supply. You usually get a 3 second blast from the sounder when you connect the NiCad which didn't happen. Connected the hold off, still nothing. Buzzed the cable out which was fine, replaced the bell for another one which thankfully worked first time.

Trade Member

I spent 3 hours stripping down the shower pump, replaced every washer and rebuilding it.

Started off with one leak and ended up with three as the hot and cold feed and the feed out to the shower was leaking when I put it back together.

Anyhow after replacing the perished washers in the pipes feeding the unit it was all ok.

Just waiting for the phone call over then next few days to say its leaking again. :(:(:(

It's always the same, customer thinks its our fault as its been ok for 7 years until you turned up banging and hammering in the airing cupboard.

It's always the same, customer thinks its our fault as its been ok for 7 years until you turned up banging and hammering in the airing cupboard.

If the washer was perished it wasnt caused by your banging, its a bit different than if you had drilled through a pipe. They should think themselves lucky that it happened when you were there rather than a couple of weeks later which it probably would of done if you had not been banging

Also I suspect you will be expected to pay for any pump breakdown for the next 30 years seen as you were the one who fixed it.

QFA and if a light bulb blows or if the emersion fails, you'll get the wll it was alright until you installed that alarm system

Archived