Security Installer Community

Acpo Approved Inspectorates.

Guest Guest

just had a look at the i.a.i.n site........what a disgrace to the industry...its nothing short of a cartel looking to take work off the big 3....a joke!!!!!remember where you would be without nsi/ssaib :no:

Training, Training, Training well for a dyslexic person it stinks. I have allways found it hard to to put to paperwhat I have been trained. They are near allways finalised in writen format. Why cant we have a practical test exam. Yes we need that initial text book but then it should be hands on. Where I might get 30% and fail in a writen exam I would get 99.9% on a practical exam where i can realey show what ime doing. Its no fun when you whant to do a certon type of job and you go to the intvew and they ask what qualifications have you got and you turn round and say non as I couldnt do the cause but then you say give me a chance and you will see. Well then its we will be in contact with you. Yea right. I have done OK for myself and this is not a sob storey. Infact I am now the Boss and when it comes to recruiting engineers and 1 has the writen qualification and the 2nd has no qualification other then he can prove his worth then I would choose the the 2nd just because I know he will be the best eningeer between the two. Again training is a must but it should be practical not writen

Guest TheCabbage
just had a look at the i.a.i.n site........what a disgrace to the industry...its nothing short of a cartel looking to take work off the big 3....a joke!!!!!remember where you would be without nsi/ssaib

Let us think a moment 3 large companies inter change staff at sales and managerial level all therefore having links with each other and knowing each others pricing structure, work load, engineer capacity, etc.

An architect on a large town centre developement specifies what level of reqirement current regulations and perceived insurance asks might be.

Any building contracter to cover his own insurance costs will off set as much as possible by asking only companies with high risk cover to price to requirements.

Each and every contracter will do the same,therefore the same quotes will be required to be produced.

If one company wins all of the contract it can leave them extremely short staffed for the period of time then over staffed when the contract finishes,if they recruit to meet there needs, not possible due to the great shortage of good engineers we are told about.

Some other solution must be found? do the big 3 lend each other engineers? or does some how one company never win all the contract. How do they manage to know which bit to price competavily, I don't know Iam just a cabbage :wacko:

but the one thing I do know is those guy's in featherbed jobs with the big three companies, that download manuals to do cash jobs at weekends are taking the bread and butter out of the little guy's mouth. :realmad:

[but the one thing I do know is those guy's in featherbed jobs with the big three companies, that download manuals to do cash jobs at weekends are taking the bread and butter out of the little guy's mouth. :realmad:

22236[/snapback]

Unlike yourselves who poach customers from the big 3 then advise them that you can take over "their" alarm system when "their" alarm is the cables and pirs, the rest of it technically belongs to the installing company.

I know because I go to rip them out when customer cancels contract with us.

"hello sir, I'm Chris from Big alarm company, i've come to decommision your system"

30 mins later, all that's left for harry homeowner is a pile of cables ans several holes in their wall where a nice galaxy used to be.

"why have you taken my alarm out" harry asks,

"I haven't" replies me, "read your contract, it's OURS, the cables are yours as are the detectors. don't forget to ask that lovely small fly by night company to replace it with a cheep and tacky Veritas or premier panel"

"they said they'd just have to reprogram it" cries harry.

"How can they do that" I say, as it's OURS.......

Never mind, the bitter smally company can then tell harry homeowner how much money they have saved from getting rid of the big guys.

You then tell the customer that we've overcharged them or that all the national engineers are rubbish and not screened, I've heard it all before, it's all wrong, of the year i've been on this forum, several members have had a dig at the big 3.

yet the majority of the posts i see answered correctly are answered by national engineers !!!!,

"Nationals don't have much experiance of small panels" you cry

I work on over 200 different makes and models, I'm truly multiskilled and can run rings around most so called "Engineers" I meet.

It was interesting to note the other day that when some poor sod had troubles with a texecom bag of sh**e that the only eng that could correctly diagnose and fix it for him was me, every other answer was barking up the wrong tree.

Is this indicative of the technical knowledge level amongst you smallies?

perhaps some training on panels other than those with 8 zones.

(proper panels that you buy from a security wholesaler, not some cheep and tacky one you can pick up from any electrical shop).

I'd love to see some of the "engineers" look after some of the hugely complex systems i have to look after on a daily basis.

come on smallies, it's about time you got your act together and stopped having to leech off the big 3, can't you find your own work?

Remember customers, you only get what you pay for, and if you buy cheap, you'll buy twice.

You want to buy peace of mind and comprehensive security package, go ring a national, they have both the manpower and the facilities to be there when you need us most.

The company I work for probably knows more than most being the oldest alarm company in the world as well as the biggest.

Oh, and by the way, we also INVENTED alarm signalling....

Regards

Bellman

-

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

"their" alarm system when "their" alarm is the cables and pirs, the rest of it technically belongs to the installing company.
So the customer is technically "renting" the system then....
perhaps some training on panels other than those with 8 zones.

(proper panels that you buy from a security wholesaler, not some cheep and tacky one you can pick up from any electrical shop).

We use DSC 832 or Guardall PX panels for our small home systems...

Remember customers, you only get what you pay for, and if you buy cheap, you'll buy twice.
Totally agree with you there
You want to buy peace of mind and comprehensive security package, go ring a national, they have both the manpower and the facilities to be there when you need us most.

If you were that good we wouldn't get customers phoning us up, to takeover their top of the range alarm system then...

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

If you were that good we wouldn't get customers phoning us up, to takeover their top of the range alarm system then...

22246[/snapback]

You can't please all of the people all of the time. <_<

do you often take over and tamper with equipment that is not your property?

and for the record I AM that good.... :P

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

i thinks its safe to say that your post will provoke some comment :lol:

for the record i've worked for 2 national companies modern, and chubb in both an installation and service roll. i left the former after 6 years because of its increasing bad attitude to customers and the latter because of the similar attitude and the fact i had to wait 2 weeks to get equipment from "central stores" when i could have got it from the local gardiners on the same day!

if you work for a national you get varied experience (you also get a lot of experience of being out all night on call at a lot of places).

at smaller companies you generally find a better working enviroment, a boss who is actually based in your office (as opposed to faceless voice on a phone), and most of all APPRECIATION.

i'm far happier working for a smaller company than a big one

oh and for the record re the veritas fault it was patience you had a lot of as well as knowledge. i'm sure you read my comments about your hard work and i stand by them but at the end of the day any competent engineer with access to our resources (the alarm manuals DVD) could have solved it - and it was the middle of the night so not many were on line!!

paul

:yes::lol::P

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Archived