Security Installer Community

External Sounders In Multi-Storey / Multi-Tenanted Buildings

Hi Everyone,

I have been wondering if there is any point installing an external sounder / bell box in the common area in a multi-tenanted building or external to the building more than 2 floors above street level.

Is there any particular best practice code and/or SSAIB/NSI that requires sounders to be installed externally to a premises?

I feel it is quite pointless in the common area lobby since no one else will hear/see the sounder unless they came up to the floor.

Likewise, if the sounder is installed a few floors up on the external facade of a building, who is going to even notice (let alone the fact that the building owner may not be very impressed with you mounting it on his wall.

What are your thoughts?

I dont think there is a requirement that the SAB is external aslong as the system has one.

installed a couple internally in my time without any problems on inspection.

fit one of these in the common hallway , im sure someone will come and see whats going on :)

http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1432

I would always put the sounder in the common lobby for its detterant value. Lets face it if the flat is higher than the second floor then unless you are spider man the only way in is gonna be through the front door from the common lobby. And if theres no bell box how would the intruder know the place is alarmed

• 1 month later...

Archived