Security Installer Community

Landmark On Watchdog

PeterJames

By the by, just to prove how even the NSI would be so utterly useless in this situation;

What is Covered?

NSI is concerned mainly with the investigation of technical complaints relating to electronic security and fire systems, ensuring they are installed and maintained in accordance with NSI codes of practice and the appropriate British and European Standards. NSI will not investigate and does not have power over:

• legal liability
  • consideration of questions of a financial settlement between an NSI approved company and its customer
  • discussions and negotiations regarding loss of claims or potential loss claims
  • outstanding payments, or interpretation of NSI approved companies' terms and conditions of contract
  • other financial, commercial and contractual disputes which fall outside of NSI's remit or jurisdiction

So basically all they want to make sure is you're technically competent at installing your kit. Not the way they are run. it is a complete JOKE.

I dont think that the inspectorate can dictate pricing, but can be involved in the way it was sold.

Unfortunately without the level of evidence that say, watchdog took, I think most would be taken as a disgruntled customer and fobbed off. Majority of the time I would expect them to side with the co's. Like you said if someone gets the hump with the NSI they can just plod over to the SSAIB and be welcomed with open arms.

My key point is. I've searched on google for 10 minutes and cannot find any article of NSI or SSAIB fining, reprimanding, shouting at, pulling by the ear, or kicking out of any of their members. We all know that people dodge and cheat the system. Look at the work bloody OFGEM have cut out for them! How can Joe Punter look at their nice websites saying that all firms with this badge are the best, they do this standard and we make sure of it" but have no other record of people falling foul of the line? It just doesn't seem to all add up.

The biggest problem imo is having 2. daft situation. If one kicks out a firm they can run to the other.

QFA

No dissrespect to the SSAIB co's here but i have to agree with James on this one. I remember how it was before SSAIB had URN's and NACOSS had teeth back then.

And Inspectorates need teeth

We should have 1 inspectorate looking after the top companies who achieve what they expect in Britain.

There should be 2 meetings a year where a managing representative attend with all major insurance companies to talk about what is happening with crime and what needs done.

That way both get involved and come to an agreement over issues.

This if you are nacoss or ssaib is just a joke imo.

!

My key point is. I've searched on google for 10 minutes and cannot find any article of NSI or SSAIB fining, reprimanding, shouting at, pulling by the ear, or kicking out of any of their members.

Would they advertise it if they did? I am aware of co's that have had to pay for additional audit visits. And I do remember companies getting kicked out of NSI but not recently

The whole accreditation is a joke.

discussions and negotiations regarding loss of claims or potential loss claims

Basically if the co fudges your install, the insurers find out and refuse to pay. You, the client, the people we are here to serve and the inspectorates are here to safeguard. Will get shafted because it will go down to the Co's interpretation of the standard, their interpretation of the work and the NSI's bloody uselessness at doing anything about it. That sentence to me just stinks. "If, by chance, one our our AMAZING companies, doesn't do their job right and you're premises/house goes up in flames/gets burgled and they have done wrong and you get no payout. We as the body that says these guys are the dogs danglies, will help you, only as much as we can be bothered, or until lunch"

Would they advertise it if they did? I am aware of co's that have had to pay for additional audit visits. And I do remember companies getting kicked out of NSI but not recently

They should. Every other non self funding body does. OFGEM, OFWAT, OFSTED. These guys all look after the companies they are supposed to and publish news when they are being naughty. I would find it highly dubious that a body says it is looking after a group of companies, making sure they are doing what they say they are doing, and don't publish news of people being naughty. because they bloody do and it makes a mockery of all the hard work the like the people on this forum put into this industry.

Archived