Security Installer Community

Melcom St6100 - Rewire Or Replace Tomorrow?

Simon K

did you not do the insulation and installation tests on the cables as i presscribed?

Personally, for what they cost i'd replace the detector, might work a week, month 3 years with a idden fault, due to DOEL robustness - why risk if you have 'fixed it' for an old detector, how many others show this abuse, but are currently working?

Its callled 'avoiding avoidable faults' and that often requires a good idea where the recycling bin us ;).

I did test correctly, as described earlier.  The fault was that the terminal was not contacting the PCB, which means that the detector correctly closed the loop (testable on the solder side) but the wires connected to the terminal did not pick it up.  I reflowed the solder on the terminal connection point and the bond appears strong.  What can I say, I'm a radio ham, I'm not in the habit of throwing things away if there are easy fixes.

I did test correctly, as described earlier. The fault was that the terminal was not contacting the PCB, which means that the detector correctly closed the loop (testable on the solder side) but the wires connected to the terminal did not pick it up. I reflowed the solder on the terminal connection point and the bond appears strong. What can I say, I'm a radio ham, I'm not in the habit of throwing things away if there are easy fixes.

iirc, you stated earlier you had a fault on one pair going to another detector, and switched them, thats fine but indicates to me you have not checked all the systems cables as i described. sorry, but if i'm right imho you will be fighting furiously with both hands - while one foot is nailed to the floor.

in most technologies a glitch is annoying to the user, in this game a glitch is the same to you, your neighbours, keyholders and likely the Police, and thats before anyone like i get involve ;).

you might think i'm being pedantic, but i call it being very thorough and tbh what i would have done at the outset with the old panel still screwed onto the wall, then you say your a 'radio ham' so you know about Marconi, he had nothing to do with alarms other than making record players used for 999 systems.

Your not given to throw things away yet having bought a new panel without proving the old one (as i also described with fitting wire loops) - so please excuse me if i'm a little confused.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Sorry, I thought I made it clear - I ripped off the old box and tidied up and tested all of the wires.  What I had was a huge unrepentant mess.  No standardisation of colours at all - the tamper loop had blue connected to orange connected to green, the alarm pairs were three different colours to different sensors, the power pairs alternated between green pair and orange pair.  No wires cut to reasonable lengths - just left as they came out from the wall and then folded over and tangled into the mess.  It was truly horrible.  I took everything out and started again.  I disconnected all of the detectors and tested the wires thoroughly (with a fluke 87-5 on high resolution reading resistance).  The cat5 cabling in the walls is good - the problem was with the way that the thing was wired up.  I've attached a photo of the mess (after I'd begun to tidy it up - most of the zone wires are out of shot).

I made a pragmatic decision that, since I'm starting from scratch any way, I would replace the alarm panel so that if it turns out to be bad I wouldn't have to do a large piece of work again.  I don't have infinite time to dedicate to this, and I'm obviously much slower than a professional, so I prefer to only have to connect the panel once.  On the other hand, if a PIR is bad, I can replace that relatively easily.

Marconi had a lot more to do with your alarms than you'll admit, especially the wireless ones that you're so fond of ;-)

2zzsun7.jpg

*shrug* this is the DIY forum.  I'm sure professionals would do it all much faster (and be paid for their time too ;-)).

Nah we help and assist for sod all.

Why some actually do not use the "Public side".

Archived