Security Installer Community

Alarm Spur From A Spur

brum69

My airing cupbard contains a heating system, which has a fused switched spur in there. My alarm system has been installed off this spur, via a fused connection of its own.

Is this allowed?

Regards

Brum69

More information required before an educated reply can be given:

Is the heating spur taken off an existing ring final circuit?.

If not it isn't a spur it's a radial circuit from the consumer unit -is there a fuse/breaker marked up 'heating' or the like?.

If it's off the RFC what size is the cable feeding it, load on it?-is it an immersion heater supply for example or just boiler.

If it's a radial what size is the cable.

Brum69, call me paranoia but are you looking for stick to beat your existing alarm with or something ?

My guess is his alarm co cant wait to see the back of him. Sometimes customers dont know how good they have it.

Customers!

My guess is his alarm co cant wait to see the back of him. Sometimes customers dont know how good they have it.

We have a few customers I would love to see the back of, funny how most of them are domestics.

same here, got an email from one of my domestics just now moaning they can't remotely see there rented house over the internet.

This one emails me at least 8 times a week about silly things.

umm friday night, eastenders on, chicken kebab just delivered! LEAVE ME ALONE

Im not sure i agree here, sorry lads.

I accept that some clients expect us to be available 24/7 and attend for free. But most dont. IF a contracted customer has an issue the its professional and right for us to do something about that.

If its not on contract then IMO they are no longer a customer. But while they are a response is IMO expected. That may not be a visit mind.

Just my 2p mind. im probably in the minority

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I fully agree with you James

A customer paying for your time either by contract or one off fee for labour is quiet right!

I am all up for helping my customers if they are on a contract if not on contract if the issue is small then I will help over the phone or email not a problem.

But this one emailing at least 8 times a week is a waste of my time especially for connection issues or moaning that the camera recorded nothing.

same here, got an email from one of my domestics just now moaning they can't remotely see there rented house over the internet.

you need to put your out of office on and get a premium rate #

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

My airing cupbard contains a heating system, which has a fused switched spur in there. My alarm system has been installed off this spur, via a fused connection of its own.

Is this allowed?

Regards

Brum69

Yes

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Brum69, call me paranoia but are you looking for stick to beat your existing alarm with or something ?

Not at all mate!

My new alarm company inspected my alarm and made a comment about a spur off a spur not being allowed. They have not stated that it needs to be changed before they take it over, but I'm just curious. I can see your point about paranoia, as some people just don't know when to let it go :proud: !!

More information required before an educated reply can be given:

Is the heating spur taken off an existing ring final circuit?.

If not it isn't a spur it's a radial circuit from the consumer unit -is there a fuse/breaker marked up 'heating' or the like?.

If it's off the RFC what size is the cable feeding it, load on it?-is it an immersion heater supply for example or just boiler.

If it's a radial what size is the cable.

I'm obviously not an electrician, but I think I know what you mean. There is no breaker on the consumer unit marked up as heating, so I assume that it is fed from ring circuit. It's part of a gas powered heating system, so I guess that it doesn't need a lot of amps as it just powers the electronics and pump - not an immersion heater. The alarm is then spurred from it, but I can't see the grade of cable between the two boxes as they are next to each other.

Regards

Brum69

You're entitled to your opinion, but in this case I'M the one who can't wait to see the back of them. If you knew the background of the lies and grief from these people, you wouldn't have made that comment. I've even found out that other installers have given my system a nickname, as they are known to cut corners :- !!

timestamp='[/color]1336805511' post='284180']I've even found out that other installers have given my system a nickname, as they are known to cut corners :- !!

Personally I can't abide those that slate others to win work, also when offered other installers systems I like to ask why they want to move providers & often find aggrieved subscribers like yourselves who are unhappy that there existing co. won't attend for free for misuse or 3rd party damage ect....

As an incoming co. I'd ask you to provide a copy of the cert for the FCU, I'd image like just about every house in the UK you'd been unable to provide any current documents for the electrical installation & quick glance around the property would reveal the possible spur of a spur to be least worrying issue in your property

Mr? Veritas God

So this person is not on any support contract with you?

No! did an installation of two camera's connected it to the internet, went to there house installed application on there PC & iPhone - Fully showed them how to use it sat for about an hour with them.

They email every day without fail about something not quiet right or they cannot connect - Explained how the connection works and it is reliant on internet at your end and the end where the DVR is.

I am all happy to help over phone & email not a problem! It is just the amount of times and silly things I have to deal with. But the saying goes "The customer is always right"

It is probably just my nature wanting to help but there becomes a time when my help is enough you have used up too much of my time over silly things.

That why you're changing your company name?

As an incoming co. I'd ask you to provide a copy of the cert for the FCU, I'd image like just about every house in the UK you'd been unable to provide any current documents for the electrical installation & quick glance around the property would reveal the possible spur of a spur to be least worrying issue in your property

Apologies, but what is an FCU?

often find aggrieved subscribers like yourselves who are unhappy that there existing co. won't attend for free for misuse or 3rd party damage ect....

I think you'll find that I DON'T fall into that category at all !!!

I think you'll find that I DON'T fall into that category at all !!!

really?

I asked the alarm company to attend site FOC, which they refused to do. Not because I wanted the visit to be FOC, just because they didn't think that there was anything wrong with the system. Customer service is not very high on their list, as I obviously feel a charge is relevant if I am at fault.

Mr? Veritas God

really?

Yes indeed.

Firstly, that's a quote from a different thread in a different forum - not to be confused with this one. Secondly, I wanted them to attend site as I thought that the problem was with their original installation - due to information received from two separate ARCs. Why would I pay if I was in the right? As I stated later in that thread, which you conveniently didn't quote, I stated that I would indeed have paid them if it was found to be operating correctly.

Hope that explains things, as I'm not one of those people who expect something for nothing - just good customer service!!

I wanted them to attend site as I thought that the problem was with their original installation - due to information received from two separate ARCs. Why would I pay if I was in the right?

Well hats off to the service provider (that you don't rate), they where correct after all & saved both the embarrassment & expensive of having an engineer attend.

Mr? Veritas God

Archived