Security Installer Community

Just Setting Up..

RAMBO

I hope to god I can pay for my kids to go to uni and leave with great degrees and no debt. I am fairly sure they are the reason I go to work in this crappy industry in which I find myself in.

I would agree with the first bit, I do it for my kids too. But I dont think this industry is quite as crappy as we all think. I doubt I will ever become a millionaire from it but unless someone invents a paint that stops burglars I shall stay far better off than quite a few

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm +1 on the crappy industry,

I could easily chuck it & fit sky, telephones or just work in tesco. Won't pay any better but I assume way less hassle

I wouldnt be doing this if that was the case for me, but then again I havent got co's round this way selling their gear on Ebay either

I dont think its crappy but it has changed. Its changed beyond recognition imo and sadly quality is no longer the mass market. I can only spek for ourselves where we dropped the numbers game many years ago and went down a different route. We do offer something different imo. But we also went down another route and offered a mass market option. Change/evolve/redesign your offering or die imo. Just when you think you know which direction your current market is going you respond. all in my humble opinion of course

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Experience counts

But i find it odd that people are knocking qualifications so strongly.

Because they don't have any? I did the NVQ and C &G 1852?? I think it was. Didn't do anything for me, very easy but out of 21 in the class I got a distinction, one lad got a pass 19 failed. So maybe they do mean something?

Experience counts

bringing this down to the most basic level - i've interviewed guys before who have done years of C&G this and that and can't wire up a roller shutter & a JB.

bringing this down to the most basic level - i've interviewed guys before who have done years of C&G this and that and can't wire up a roller shutter & a JB.

That's a different twist on the situation. I take your comment re the interviews as - done the courses (and not necessarily paid any attention) but lack the experience.

The apparent reluctance to recognise qualifications seems to be at odds with the argument that companies in the security profession should be accredited. Something not right with the argument there.

Experience counts

I have a good electronics training and at one time could repair a control panel at component level,(Components have moved on a bit since my time at college theyre a lot smaller for one) it has helped and I am sure that without it I may not of acheived as much as I have. However, the bits of my training that I have used do not outweigh over the bits that I learned and have never used.

For example we have an osciliscope in the workshop that never gets used nowadays, I could use it to repair cameras or even CPU's but the kit is so cheap nowadays its far more economical to replace a bit of kit than it is to repair it £50-£60 per hour for my time versus a £150.camera is a no brainer.

Qualifications are all very well, but the ones aimed for this industry could be learned without the classroom, an apprentice will pick up far more from a bit of understanding how the equipment he is installing works and experience of what goes wrong IMHO

Archived