Security Installer Community

Cctv Status Monitoring - Remote Sites

JasonOfOz

Hi Everyone,

We had a problem on a remote site recently with a newly installed CCTV system.

Power supply suddenly failed shortly after installation.

Fortunately we picked it up after completing our post installation inspection but I was wondering if there was another way we could plug something into the DVR so that we could "poll" it to test for things like:

1. Power failure;

2. Camera failure;

3. Not recording...

etc

Has anyone come across anything?

Ultimately wouldn't it be great to be able to know that there's a problem with a client's system before they do?

ps. I think I may have found something interesting but don't want to post it as i'm interested to see what you may have found

We have developed our own hybrid nvr and we do just that, all systems that are on contract are checked every 15 mins for overtemp, recording status, camera contrast, processor capacity, load, hard disk SMART status etc. We did the same a few years ago with dm. Dm have an api that allows you to write something that can do this for you.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I dont rely on the units to send me issues i ask the units and expect a reply. Its our own code but similar to nagios in implimentation.

email is fine but wont report a dead machine or link issue

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

An application for you that may give you some food for thought.

We have a number of our IP/GPRS SPTs operating in a chain of stores that in the first instance provide alarm transmission from Galaxy's (Connected to the RS485 data bus, Extended SIA3 format & Remote Servicing Supported) and Line monitoring to EN Grade 4.

Now the relevant bit. In addition the client has one (or more) DM Sprites within the store. The SPT monitors the DM sprite's local IP address, and sends an alarm should contact with this disappear. The alarm is a fully configurable SIA event, so specific text may be sent to the ARC, such "DVR 1 Fail" (if you have more than one for example).

If your DVR has any other outputs to signal fault conditions these could connect to one of the 16 outputs on the SPT.

And...finally, if you're worried about the router, or the DVR "locking" you can use one of the 3 relays on the SPT to connect to the power source and reboot said Router/DVR.

For those of you who say..ah but if the router has failed you've had it...no...you can do all of this over the GPRS route.

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

There's more to life than line monitoring and signalling a bunch of hardwire pins...if you've got the right kit.

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

Archived