Security Installer Community

Customers Smoking

magpye

Mornin' all, yesterday I was servicing an alarm in a private house. The owner was a chain smoker, I was there for about 75mins, he had a cigarette one after another for all the time I was there.

Don't know the make, or care, but stink, did they ever, the smoke got into my system for the rest of the day/evening, b***** awful.

Shower and change of clothes as soon as I got home.

Q. Are there any regulations relating to working in these conditions?

It would be good to know before I decide to refuse to go there any more.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

You obviously can't stop someone smoking in their own home, however, I would also consider someones home a place of work (temporarily) for my engineers. They have the right not to breath in passive smoke so I think if they/you feel that stongly about it then request that the customer not smoke whilst you are there. The chances are they'll tell you to go and jump and then you/your employer needs to decide what to do about that! Me personnally, I don't have a huge issue and could put up with it for a short duration.

We have a smoking in the work place act that was introduced a few years ago, shortly after the smoking ban in pubs etc

Once you enter theirproperty it is now your work place

I usually go outside if someone lights up or open doors etc depending on my mood. I have asked people to stop smoking when I was working

cheers Norm,

that's what I thought, but was looking for something concrete I could quote at him, if you get my drift.

One of the main reasons I asked was because when I got up thismorning I could still smell it, know what I mean?

magpye

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Agreed with all of the above, I read up on this a while back and IIRC they also should not smoke for an hour before you arrive and all the time that you are on site

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Agreed with all of the above, I read up on this a while back and IIRC they also should not smoke for an hour before you arrive and all the time that you are on site

Got some serious searching to do now, I'd just love to find that in some sort of official document, still, I'm not working this weekend :-

Seems I was wrong

That said the ban does not apply in a private dwelling where work is

undertaken solely to:

 Provide personal care for a person living in the dwelling.

 Assist with the domestic work of the household in the dwelling.

 Maintain the structure or fabric of the dwelling.

 Install, maintain or remove any service provided to the dwelling for the benefit of persons living in it.

taken from attached document

Smoking Ban.pdf

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived