Security Installer Community

Honeywell Galaxy Flex 100 Rs Problem

KyleJuk

Dont need Belden on anything under 100m G2 or dimension etc. Dont need the 680 Ohm either come to that! (we always do tho)
Why do you think don't need the 680 ohm resistor? It is still an rs485 line irrespective of g2/gd/flex and rs485 rules apply.
AgreedOne daft wit here managed a 5km run without resistors once as he had the opportunity. But this was on a "Real Gal".
5000m at 9600 baud? The real gal and all the others are using exactly the same protocols. If you managed this run, how did you deal with reflections?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Ill have to look into the 8 core on a g2 . Would still always run a belden on a new install tho .

On shorter runs there is no issue on using unscreened cable on any panel using rs485 including all the galaxy panels. I agree if possible screened or cat5 is a preferred option but we have managed to get large datalines on unscreened cables by using isolation repeaters.

Why do you think don't need the 680 ohm resistor? It is still an rs485 line irrespective of g2/gd/flex and rs485 rules apply.

5000m at 9600 baud? The real gal and all the others are using exactly the same protocols. If you managed this run, how did you deal with reflections?

Ask James he did it.

He had the chance as the cable had been run and he jumoed on it for an hour or so.

It ran without issues.

As I said he did it, we were chatting one night about resistor issues and the needs for and against as I had a G3-520 with 11 RKPs and about 5 Power Rios misbehaving, Even Honeywell came down and blew up the panel.

In the end I asked for another batch number of the nain PCB (Twin as in the 520( and a different batch number on the power RIOs and hey presto a fully working system accessable from across the world ona sat phone and laptop.

Seems there was a issue with some kit that of course HW had never heard of before.

Same as the back door I found on the G3s.

But that is another story.

I mean what would I know?

I do know at Castle ( Not trying to offend now as things have changed) all you did in the cold stables was learn how to fault find ID not program the stuff.

Plus other interesting things over the years.

Like I said us on the ground and hands on knnow sod all

:teehee:

That does not surprise me with reagards to Honeywell or the batch issue. As I may have indicated before this halo that the engineers have for the galaxy is only there because of the lack of understanding what it really is and how it works. Similar to my bose speakers, galaxy is a mediocre product with good marketing and a reputation as the best based on little more than the manufacturer telling the right people its the best who then convince everyone else it's the best. I suppose that goes back to good marketing.

The time has come for the product to undergo a complete rewrite of its software and components used with more modern ways of achieving things. Half the things it does are half baked and inefficient.

I agree it needs a kick up the backside and they are going there, but in circles I believe. But it is a good product and if they stopped flaffign about and concentrated a bit more they could claw back the ones they have lost.

Not only in the programmng but the end user ease of use and how alerts are dealt with although I believe all have not quite got that bit right.

The keypads especially need a update. Castle and I must admit the big screen Texecom ( for those with (is it short sighted) eye conditions)). And the blue  backlighting on Cooper is terrible, makes me even wonder what I am doing when programming, (then agian I know them and others backwards. Ask me and I might stutter, put a RKP in front of me and job done) why I liked the USB AB connictivity and also it takes about 5 mins to set up a fully loaded panel with text and everything.

Well you know about remote/site UDL, but as I said before you also need the skill to do it via the RKP because sometimes a lappy or other assistance is not available.

I think you forget everyone is either playing catch up with Galaxy (Honeywell, but I like Galaxy better :P) and some have surpassed in certain items but I have yet (Awaiting a test HKC as I type) to see anything outclass it. And please don`t start with ATS , stil still and grit your teeth, or I`ll start on you with early Vista UDL  :P

I do see your point and you are being articulate about it and not, actually I`ll leave that.  And polite and wanting to  discuss, rather than argue and insult. Oops there I go again.

Sorry.

But keep this up, I would love to see why you feel Galaxy is loosing the plot when I have done , as others some wonderful stuff and even to a point put a friends muti million business in the hands of a GD520 with of course lots of toys linked .

To make life easy, why don't you tell me why you think it's all that and then I can explain why in reality this best in class halo is undeserved.

matt you bang on about this honeywell inovation award you got,then slate them,is it just a case of sour grapes as they didnt bend over and take what you asked being a new small company
I haven't asked Honeywell for anything. My dislike of the product is the issues with software that doesn't work, technology that's half baked and I reliability. The difference being if I dislike something, I have it back with testing and real world evidence rather than a vendetta. The other day was a good example. That gd520 that didn't send a confirm intruder on a break in is, i believe, a reasonable reason to be unhappy as isn't that what a burglar alarm is designed to to, detect burglars?

Archived