Security Installer Community

Advice On Buying A Cctv Security System Due To Numerous Thefts

If your replying to "if the internet viewing is required an your not great with computing"

Just because you can use a laptop, this has no bearing on computing.

Much the same as just because you can drive a car, doesn't mean you can fix a car.

I have known people who work in IT look at me blankly upon mentioning "port forwarding".

Please bear in mind it's really not just the case of pluging stuff together.

There's a lot of setting up, testing and programming.

Get it wrong and your wasting time and money.

As for your quote, it sounds too good a price for good stuff.

Really he should have come out and properly surveyed the site.

As for the link to ebay...

Don't be under the impression 480TVL is "Hi Spec" or "massive" it's not.

3.6mm fixed lens means you will only get a general view for monitoring, no adjustment and very unlikely indentification of people @ 20ft high.

Take a good look at the screenshots on the "view live over the internet", ignore the other lower "live" pictures as there obviously fake.

There is sort of quality you'll be recording and they look like there mounted at 10 ft high, I think that's very poor and I've fitted 100's of systems.

hello check my site; www.bluechipspares.co.uk should b ready in a few weeks, im no computer boff but ive been able to design a site with minor help of a programmer

no the chap just gave the price over the phone, ive got another company coming out next week, what questions should i ask them?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep thats the one, your looking at his feedback score, that does not mean he sold 0000's of DVRs, maybe 50 DVR and 0000's of BNCs, or sweets! Go to goofbay and look it up yourself. It amuses me that you take the word of an ebay seller but not that of a professional Installer that you (I presume) picked out of the Yellow pages or somewhere.

yeah i just looked in yellow pages and picked people who were at the top, 99.9% of them are too busy and will b coming next week,

Back to the question at hand - looks like an impressive operation (or building at least), really you could waste £500 pound in a heart beat on ebay, if the stuff you are selling 0000's of pounds worth of stuff surely £1,300 is not that big an investment. There maybe other ways you can get that investment to have a lower overall cost, e.g. contact your insurance company to see if a discount would be available if you install CCTV - they will probably insist on a proper installer.

I should send u pic's of inside we've got 00,000's £k worth of state of the art pallet racking to house all the parts, e.g. custom built bays for the bonnets and car panels so they dont get damaged taken me 7 months sorting it out to what it is now, the building is great the centre what we'll start on next

You have a flood light at the center on the front of the building, if on this can have the effect of only seeing on the bright area with little or no peripheral detail, i.e. the camera may adjust to suit the brightest part and darken the other areas despite being within the view of the camera. Light or the lack of it is going to be one of your biggest problems, ignore the specs that say 30meters IR, besides having to vector in the height, etc. these claims are often well overstated and only in ideal conditions (who knows what they are).

Due to the cable runs you have to be aware of power issues, especially with IR cameras and plug and play cables with the kits is not likely to be long enough or good enough.

The best advice I could give you is to get a professional company to do a site visit and assessment (this is usual free) but if you are determined to do this for £500 your on your own and don't waste their time.

im planning to spend a few g's but always like to start off small and work the price down, as if you say to a company youve got a budget of 5k they will take the full 5k from you!!!

is it possible for you to give me a list of pro questions to ask the companies coming out next week, so i can catch out the cowboys trying to pull a fast one

thankyou

We would charge around 2k for a 4 camera system giving basic surveillance. Last time I checked our vans don't get serviced and repaired for peanuts!

Funny, last one we did was a garage, 3 cameras £2300 + vat. I guess he has a better business as he didn't bat an eyelid.

PLEASE DONT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS MR, you dont know my full set up and i doubt there are many who can break cars to more than there worth and repair the sort of cars i can anyway back to the security advice

p.s. my storage site is larger than most main dealers' sites

People like you make me sick laugh.png

i know its one of my habits paying peanuts BUT charging top dollar :proud:

I would start by contacting your insurance company, they may wish to send out a risk assessor and from that set recommendations, if met they may give a discount. They may tell you no discount is available but worth a shot.

You also seemed to be mostly interested in the outside (rather than inside) the building so I will concentrate on that. Personally I would group the most valuable items in a specific area and if possible put physical security measures to protect that area (if they cannot get at them they cannot steal them) while covering with cameras and lighting also. It would give a much more focused area for cameras to achieve the results you are looking for.

Careful planning will save you money, the area in question is quite large with multiple angles of attack, reduce the area of main concern and you will get better results, cheaper. With a plan in place, get quotes, while it is difficult (and not professional) to second guess fellow professionals especially without doing a site visit, you could ensure they give detailed lists of what is being supplied and opinions can be offered on the equipment. Also ask for reference sites they have done that may be similar to yours, if agreeable, a demonstration may give you a better idea of what you will get for your money - ebay maybe cheap (and tat most of it) it cannot offer that level of service or peace of mind.

I would start by waking up!

I am the king of cheap on this site but £1.300 for a fully spec'd, installed, set-up and IE connected system is far to cheap. By the sounds of your replies and arrogance to peoples replies (who all mostly qualified professionals) you clearly have the money to spend but don't want to be ripped off - same as any person. ebay is a not true reflection of the total cost of securing a dwelling. Even if you did buy from ebay, I'm sure you would still require an engineer to install and set it all up? If not, you seem to know to know what is best, how to set up the porting on your router, so, maybe you should crack on and buy your surveillance system with paypal.

Don't take this the wrong way but my personal feeling is; you'd be more trouble than your worth as a client, especially for a Grand!

I would start by waking up!

I am the king of cheap on this site but £1.300 for a fully spec'd, installed, set-up and IE connected system is far to cheap. By the sounds of your replies and arrogance to peoples replies (who all mostly qualified professionals) you clearly have the money to spend but don't want to be ripped off - same as any person. ebay is a not true reflection of the total cost of securing a dwelling. Even if you did buy from ebay, I'm sure you would still require an engineer to install and set it all up? If not, you seem to know to know what is best, how to set up the porting on your router, so, maybe you should crack on and buy your surveillance system with paypal.

Don't take this the wrong way but my personal feeling is; you'd be more trouble than your worth as a client, especially for a Grand!

You shouldnt judge people so quickly, i doubt you are more of a king of cheapness than myself, im new on here but not new to cheapness, id be the first to admit!

do you think i have time to waste asking for advice then not wanting it!!! I cant believe you keep on battering on abt ebay, i only used that example as its the first place the average (me) man looks for a quick guide on items, if someone has sold 0000's you tend to think they r doing something right!

Im a perfect customer; pays on time (CASH READY IN POCKET), always comes back for repeat business and to top it off listerns to advice!!!

There is no question of securing the site, believe me why the scumbag/s is stealing items from outside because they know once inside they might lose a limb or two, im only looking for cameras to record the scums face stealing my parts, not to shot movies with

doubt i'ii have prob's installing it if the instructions are there, as reparing the cars i do are not one's ur average garage would even think abt breaking for parts let alone repairing

dont take it personally but it seems your reluctant to give out advice which might save someone money

thanks

I would start by contacting your insurance company, they may wish to send out a risk assessor and from that set recommendations, if met they may give a discount. They may tell you no discount is available but worth a shot.

You also seemed to be mostly interested in the outside (rather than inside) the building so I will concentrate on that. Personally I would group the most valuable items in a specific area and if possible put physical security measures to protect that area (if they cannot get at them they cannot steal them) while covering with cameras and lighting also. It would give a much more focused area for cameras to achieve the results you are looking for.

Careful planning will save you money, the area in question is quite large with multiple angles of attack, reduce the area of main concern and you will get better results, cheaper. With a plan in place, get quotes, while it is difficult (and not professional) to second guess fellow professionals especially without doing a site visit, you could ensure they give detailed lists of what is being supplied and opinions can be offered on the equipment. Also ask for reference sites they have done that may be similar to yours, if agreeable, a demonstration may give you a better idea of what you will get for your money - ebay maybe cheap (and tat most of it) it cannot offer that level of service or peace of mind.

Hello, i think your getting the wrong point, im not interested in protecting the building as believe me thats already protected, and most ppl know abt it hence why parts r being robbed frm outide, ONLY want to protect whats left outside, my cars and catch the scumbag/s who nicks bit and bobs off them, so we can deal with them ourselves if the local bobbies dont do

Hello, i think your getting the wrong point, im not interested in protecting the building as believe me thats already protected, and most ppl know abt it hence why parts r being robbed frm outide, ONLY want to protect whats left outside, my cars and catch the scumbag/s who nicks bit and bobs off them, so we can deal with them ourselves if the local bobbies dont do

Dont forget to let us know how you get on, I am sure the cameras on ebay will do exactly what you need, and if they dont you havent wasted that much money have you ?

What area are you? Maybe someone on here can quote for the job?

Re the set up; it's not a case of instructions for port forwarding and it's nothing like setting up a web site. I'll be the first to admit it's a pain in the rear end if you don't know what your doing!!

Re the set up; it's not a case of instructions for port forwarding and it's nothing like setting up a web site. I'll be the first to admit it's a pain in the rear end if you don't know what your doing!!

I bet no body wants to quote.

Dont forget to let us know how you get on, I am sure the cameras on ebay will do exactly what you need, and if they dont you havent wasted that much money have you ?

Well im waiting until the other cpys give me quotes next week, shame i'ii have to try and figure questions to ask them, as no one wants to offer any advicecry.gif

I bet no body wants to quote.

why notunsure.png

the warehouse is in north cambs area, cant reveal exact location for obvious reasons, as the only ppl who know im there are the one's i tell, its not the place you can easily come across whilst out on the travelswelcome.gif

cream

The reason i feel some would be reluctant to quote is that you may be looking for a design from that then buy the same gear or what you think is etc.

However back on topic

Personally if i were doing your design, id be wanting to know what you want to achieve. From that we could discuss the options and ball park budgets.

If your employing an expert the questions should be coming from them the expert not the other way around.

You cant compare it to repairing a car as that is like repairing a damaged system that is existing. You want a new system.

However you have stated you want to achieve facial recognition. As i have said before this is difficult with a static PAL (old style analogue) due to the low resolution.

As i have said to achieve this you need 120% screen height of your 1.7m target.

To keep things simple lets assume 100%.

a PAL dvr will record a max vertical res of 576 pixels. The units you have used as reference will not do this and will probably only record at 288 vertical without other issues.

But if we say 576 then that means that a single camera can protect 1.7m vertically. That is a small area when trying to protect externally.

If you think when you are watching football on your 42" plasma if it wasnt for the huge numbers on their back you wouldnt really recognise them from a wide shot.

and id assume your plasma is worth more than the dvr your looking at. Also the camera used will be worth well over £50 etc etc.

But if you look at megapixel cctv say even a lowly 2MP cam. That will give you a vertical res of 1200 pixels. So you can go 2 - 3 times as wide and still get the detail of a std PAL camera. Goto 4 or 5 megapixel then... well you get the idea.

But a decent 5 MP camera will be a lot more expensive than a chinese so called 'sony' pal camera. You will also need a high end NVR to record these things. Bit rate as well as framerate are important here. But as with engines you cant beat size. We have just installed a 12 Tb recorder but even this wouldnt last long with 4, 5 megapixel cams running at 3-7 fps.

What you want to achieve isnt going to happen with the type of kit and budget your talking about.

By all means buy the thing that has sold thousands (why people think this means its any good is beyond me but still) and then you will see what some of us are on about.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

cream

The reason i feel some would be reluctant to quote is that you may be looking for a design from that then buy the same gear or what you think is etc.

THIS LAUGABLE, so your to scared to give any advice because you think i'ii go and do it myself? so indicating the setting up of the cctv is simple for anyone with common sense? If anyone asked myself how to repair a car i'ii gladly give advice BUT i know for a FACT it would b useless as they still wouldnt be able to repair the sort of cars i buy due to extensive heavy damage hence why pick them up at the prices we do!!!

However back on topic

Personally if i were doing your design, id be wanting to know what you want to achieve.

I want 3 cameras' to catch the thief scumbag nicking my parts, nothing else; cant be simple than that, dont want dvd quality pic's just good enough to make out the thief's face/ clothes etc... we already have a good idea who it is, been at the site for 3yrs and this is first time its happened due to no of new tramp benefits type ppl moving not to far from the area

From that we could discuss the options and ball park budgets.

If your employing an expert the questions should be coming from them the expert not the other way around.

Im a listerner

You cant compare it to repairing a car as that is like repairing a damaged system that is existing. You want a new system.

I know i cant because repairing cars especially the one's i do, is on a different level to slapping a few camera up with wiring, ppl or shoudl i say the "old timers" used to tell me jigging a car is like brain surgery, funny that i started to repair cars within a few weeks of buying one to autolign standard; this is what sets your local so called "approved insurance garage" to the proper not blag repairers.

However you have stated you want to achieve facial recognition. As i have said before this is difficult with a static PAL (old style analogue) due to the low resolution.

As i have said to achieve this you need 120% screen height of your 1.7m target.

To keep things simple lets assume 100%.

a PAL dvr will record a max vertical res of 576 pixels. The units you have used as reference will not do this and will probably only record at 288 vertical without other issues.

But if we say 576 then that means that a single camera can protect 1.7m vertically. That is a small area when trying to protect externally.

I want to protect the size of a car so 20ft by 12 ft wide

If you think when you are watching football on your 42" plasma if it wasnt for the huge numbers on their back you wouldnt really recognise them from a wide shot.

and id assume your plasma is worth more than the dvr your looking at. Also the camera used will be worth well over £50 etc etc.

But if you look at megapixel cctv say even a lowly 2MP cam. That will give you a vertical res of 1200 pixels. So you can go 2 - 3 times as wide and still get the detail of a std PAL camera. Goto 4 or 5 megapixel then... well you get the idea.But a decent 5 MP camera will be a lot more expensive than a chinese so called 'sony' pal camera. You will also need a high end NVR to record these things. Bit rate as well as framerate are important here. But as with engines you cant beat size. We have just installed a 12 Tb recorder but even this wouldnt last long with 4, 5 megapixel cams running at 3-7 fps.

What you want to achieve isnt going to happen with the type of kit and budget your talking about.

By all means buy the thing that has sold thousands

(why people think this means its any good is beyond me but still) and then you will see what some of us are on about.

Isnt it common sense that if something sells in 0000's its usually better than the item which has sold 10-20?

what do u think of; a sony camera 480 tvl with a 3.6 9mm lense?

How do you seriously expect to get any more help with your attitude?

You have been given advice but you refuse to accept or even read it.

Your ebay seller has not sold 0000's, I showed you how to check.

You have been given reasonable advice with regards to the outside of your building (not inside)

You have been ignorant, arrogant and very dismissive of the advice given - how did you ever learn how to fix cars with that attitude or did you know it all already?

How do you seriously expect to get any more help with your attitude?

You have been given advice but you refuse to accept or even read it.

Your ebay seller has not sold 0000's, I showed you how to check.

You have been given reasonable advice with regards to the outside of your building (not inside)

You have been ignorant, arrogant and very dismissive of the advice given - how did you ever learn how to fix cars with that attitude or did you know it all already?

i only need for the cctv to cover the area of the car, the chance of someone breaking through the wall is impossible unless they turned up witha jcb and rammed the wall to get rhough, then they'll hit a very strong XXXXXXX, its only the cars im concerned about

i learnt by using my common sense & initiativeidea.gif , im the first to admit i know very little, but when u buy a car for £700 worth £6k with a nice heavy front smash u learn urself to repair or earn no money then go homeless with no food

i currently have a audi a2 never repaired one in my short salvage life frontend ripped off slackjaw1.gif , built the whole frontend up, engine was off mounts/ aircon pump/starter/ intercooler/ pas pump all bashed off hence the cheap price of the car, its a tdi with 56k miles so worth alot ive learnt usin common sense how to repair it, aluminium chassis if u know them cars

cant believe ur getting annoyed because someone is questioning or picking at some of the replies, there is nothing wrong with it, only trying to get advice,nothing elsequestion.gif

THIS LAUGABLE, so your to scared to give any advice because you think i'ii go and do it myself? so indicating the setting up of the cctv is simple for anyone with common sense? If anyone asked myself how to repair a car i'ii gladly give advice BUT i know for a FACT it would b useless as they still wouldnt be able to repair the sort of cars i buy due to extensive heavy damage hence why pick them up at the prices we do!!!

Listen mate. Read what i wrote, i said QUOTE ie spend money to come and see your site then spend time raising a design, I DIDNT say advise.

If you continue to insult members of this board with this attitude i will remove your posts. Please stop it.

I want 3 cameras' to catch the thief scumbag nicking my parts, nothing else; cant be simple than that, dont want dvd quality pic's just good enough to make out the thief's face/ clothes etc... we already have a good idea who it is, been at the site for 3yrs and this is first time its happened due to no of new tramp benefits type ppl moving not to far from the area

How do you know you need 3? but anyone have you read my posts about recognition levels and areas covered? DVD quality is based on the camera quality and dvr. You need to decide on views first before you decide on recording types.

Isnt it common sense that if something sells in 0000's its usually better than the item which has sold 10-20?

No, most things that are cheap and not very good outsell those that are good and more expensive.

what do u think of; a sony camera 480 tvl with a 3.6 9mm lense?

not a lot. What do you think of a car with a 4 wheels and boot?

I want to protect the size of a car so 20ft by 12 ft wide

so thats 6m wide? You will not get recognition of a perp from a PAL analogue camera with a view of that width.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I knew my question would give you a chance to blow your own trumpet! Explains much about your attitude that you think highly about yourself.

You have been given enough advice to come to the following conclusion:

a) The size area you wish to cover and get facial detail is not possible with 3 PAL cameras or your budget! There simply is not the resolution in the cameras for it!

b) It has been suggested that you group your valuable items together (outside, no-one mentioned inside, if you bothered to read the posts properly), this will give a smaller area for the cameras to cover.

c) Get a professional installer and possible savings on your insurance may help pay for it!

You have responded to experienced professionals with comments like "This laughable" and other such derogatory comments. If you see nothing wrong with that, then there is definitely something a security forum cannot help you with.

the chance of someone breaking through the wall is impossible unless they turned up witha jcb and rammed the wall to get rhough,

seen a few breaks in's via hammer & chisel

but when u buy a car for £700 worth £6k with a nice heavy front smash u learn urself to repair or earn no money then go homeless with no food

i currently have a audi a2 never repaired one in my short salvage life frontend ripped off slackjaw1.gif , built the whole frontend up, engine was off mounts/ aircon pump/starter/ intercooler/ pas pump all bashed off hence the cheap price of the car, its a tdi with 56k miles so worth alot ive learnt usin common sense how to repair it, aluminium chassis if u know them cars

if your salvage was repaired using new audi parts it would cost more than the pre smashed audi was worth, cars recorded as Cat c or d are pretty much worthless as you can't finace or part ex within motor trade,

salvage is only ecomical to repair as it mostly used parts & cheap labour, you can jig it or chain it to bolllard & reverse the worse off the damage out.....

Mr? Veritas God

seen a few breaks in's via hammer & chisel

if your salvage was repaired using new audi parts it would cost more than the pre smashed audi was worth, cars recorded as Cat c or d are pretty much worthless as you can't finace or part ex within motor trade,

salvage is only ecomical to repair as it mostly used parts & cheap labour, you can jig it or chain it to bolllard & reverse the worse off the damage out.....

Shows how much you know about salvage cars, we sell ours all for near retail price, as always buy the right car (one's in demand or rare) with low mileage, the decent stuff is autoligned so can get finance

we repair most of our cars especially the brand new <1-2yr old cars with BRAND NEW parts from main dealers as no one is breaking them, they right most of them due to extent of damage which i buy but i know plenty which r written off due to cost of main dealer labour rates e.g. 100quid a hr to bolt a wing or 600quid to change a light bulb on some models LOL

Archived