Security Installer Community

Advice On Buying A Cctv Security System Due To Numerous Thefts

Hello, im new on here but new to the forum worlds, bascially ive seen a few security cctv systems on various auction webites, so many out there so hard to choose.

http://www.ebay.co.u...ht_17030wt_1025

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-CHANNEL-16CH-1000GB-NETWORK-VGA-AUDIO-DVR-MACHINE-/170682725058?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item27bd7bb2c2#ht_13878wt_932

http://www.ebay.co.u...6#ht_2916wt_842

Basically im looking for 2/3 outdoor camera's and 1 indoor camera which have switch on sensor so when they detect movement, then they'll ideally record the scumbag of a thief/s stealing my parts, which i can view on laptop over internet or a hard drive

IM on a limited budget for now couple of hundred quids as the business is a start up but in future would like to upgrade to the state of the art system combating theft of my carparts.

advice would b very much appreciated as the local plod cant do jackall as no evidence even thou have a good idea who it is, so require video footage catching them in the act as we've done may stake outs but they always seem to come when were not about

any advice would be very much appreciated

thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the first one isnt a sony camera. Just has a sony component in it.

Cant judge on res alone its like buying an engine on bhp alone.

2nd one. Unknown bit of kit no specs on it could be good but probably isnt.

3rd one, again low end, but the cameras are low res. May be all the dvr can handle.

Personally id avoid 'kits' you will probably have different requirements per view.

What do you want to be able to do with the footage? What are the views (ie length width etc).

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hello, side of garage where i park cars is about ft 30ft long then there is another side 20ft like a sort of L shape so 1 wont be enough to cover the area

then one on the front of the building as there's only 1 door about 35ft

I want the camera to have a automatic function which switches on and starts recording as soon as a THIEF is detected

I dont want super quality DVD quality pictures, just enough in colour to make the person's face as we have a very good idea who it is, but as the coppers said no evidence as could b someone else

Then I want the system to record the scum thief so can go and report them to the coppers maybe on a disc or upload the clip onto youtube and put out a wanted ad LOL

This is why i dont think need mega pro type equipment with zoom in functions etc... there is no need, only enough quality just to make out the scum thiefs face

ive spoken to the last ebay seller of the £189 odd system and he says his would b ideal but then again he would say that he's sold sh7t loads, im also waiting for some of his customers to get back on how they found the system

thanks very much for the advice

I don't think you'll get much advise on any of that stuff.

Most people in the trade would class that as very very low end and wouldn't even go near it.

There's a lot more to CCTV than throwing any old camera's about a premises.

Also it's very hard to recommend equipment based on rough measurements and not seeing the site.

As mentioned most of these "kits" should be avoided for multiple reasons.

You have taken the right first step in asking for advice but you have also come with assumptions, as Mr Happy has stated on your other thread. It is going to be much more difficult to get facial recognition level pictures than you think and likely more difficult with the kit you have asked for advice on.

You have requested colour but all the cameras you have selected have IR and require to turn b/w for the IR to work - nevermind possible white out issues if the thief is close enough to the camera to get a proper facial pic.

I am not putting you down, just trying to highlight why you need proper advice and looking at specifications on Ebay is not the way to get it (on unbranded kit at least), use ebay and you very well may be robbed in a different way. Why not get a professional installer to quote you?

"There's a lot more to CCTV than throwing any old camera's about a premises."

like what? if your in the trade you should at least b able to give a rough idea what kit i'ii need on them measurements, just like myself giving u a estimate on a heavy front smashed car from pic's ive been doing it for 8yrs so can give u a very good indication frm pic's what parts u'll need and if chassis bent, so i would of guested its the same with cctv fitters e.g. what cctv cameras do u recommend to cover a area of 20ft long width of a car 12 ft aint rocket science finding a camera to cover this area ?

As I mentioned in my post assumptions!

so i would of guested its the same with cctv fitters

Sorry but your wrong, to use your own example, its easy to see what parts need replacing on a damaged car when you know what the car should look like undamaged, a CCTV Installer does not have that luxury and every install is different, why do you think there are so many different types of cameras?

You have taken the right first step in asking for advice but you have also come with assumptions, as Mr Happy has stated on your other thread. It is going to be much more difficult to get facial recognition level pictures than you think and likely more difficult with the kit you have asked for advice on.

You have requested colour but all the cameras you have selected have IR and require to turn b/w for the IR to work - nevermind possible white out issues if the thief is close enough to the camera to get a proper facial pic.

I am not putting you down, just trying to highlight why you need proper advice and looking at specifications on Ebay is not the way to get it (on unbranded kit at least), use ebay and you very well may be robbed in a different way. Why not get a professional installer to quote you?

where else do people look? yes i did have a quote from a adt chap to the tune of £1250 when we first moved in for a measly few pr sensors/ camera and alarm box/ auto dialer LOL im not making no assumptions only gave examples of what ive seen from a seller who's sold 0000's of them, i know the traders on here may not like me highlighting ebay cctv's , partly due to the bargin prices of the systems

the cameras will b mounted 20ft high on the bulding with a metal cage i'ii b building around them so can b tampered unless you smash them off with a sledge hammer

ive come on here for proper advice nothing else

ive got replies frm most ppl who ave bought the system and they all recommend it 5stars

As I mentioned in my post assumptions!

Sorry but your wrong, to use your own example, its easy to see what parts need replacing on a damaged car when you know what the car should look like undamaged, a CCTV Installer does not have that luxury and every install is different, why do you think there are so many different types of cameras?

so you are saying there's millions of cameras out there to cover a area of 20ft long and 12 ft wide to provide a colour picture and auto record feature so it switches on when the thief walks past?

shall i take a picture of the gravel and colour of building as that might give u a better idea of what i'ii need LOL

thanks

"scale site plans then"

20ft by 12ft wide and camera will b mounted 20ft high

is that good enough? as ive said b4 i dont know nothing abt cctv's only what ive seen on ebay and what other buyers have saidm 0000's of them, i was lookin for pro advice

thanks

Archived