Security Installer Community

Had My First False Alarm Today :(

After 4 years or so of faultless use my system gave me a false alarm yesterday. I was at work and the mobile started shouting about the French windows. Checking the CCTV feeds showed reassuringly that no windows were broken or open but it was rather embarrasing getting the neighbours out for nothing.

The detector in question is a Viper glx (combinbed contact and shock). The sensitivity was turned down to half although double knock not engaged. I tested it extensively at the time with the old teaspoon and it seemed fine. Log shows detector+ and detector- in the same minute so I'm guessing it was the shock part that got triggered. I've turned down the sensitivity to around a third now although still don't like to engage the double knock (maybe I should?).

Looking at the CCTV afterwards there appears to be a massive fly buzzing around before and after shock+ so I'm wondering if it's not him that's flown into the glass and set it off.

Thinking of putting the door contact back on and another, seperate shock (got an Elmdene Spider lying around somewhere).

Any suggestions anyone?

It'd be pretty stupid to put a shock on double knock mate :lol:

Put it on soak test or just replace it

Well that's what I was thinking! :) But then again the option is there...

Do you reckon it's "fooked" then, seriously? (thanks Cubit, I don't know what I'd do without you :lol:). Are there any known issues with the Vipers?

It'd be pretty stupid to put a shock on double knock mate :lol:

Put it on soak test or just replace it

i think he means double knock on the detector, not the panel :lol:

Well that's what I was thinking! :) But then again the option is there...

Do you reckon it's "fooked" then, seriously? (thanks Cubit, I don't know what I'd do without you :lol:). Are there any known issues with the Vipers?

I think the tea spoon maybe the issue.

Had the LED latched on the viper? If so, it did detect something, if not, it could be a cable or panel issue.

I assume you have more than 1 viper fitted, so swap it with another and see how it goes

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Thanks for the pointers guys. Just the one Viper. I could easily install more though, left, right and above? When I installed it originally I used the 6 wire option with neither the LED not the FTA facility. If I go back and wire up the LED will it differentiate between the shock sensor and the magnetic contact ie does it not activate when the magnetic contact goes open? Logically I guess that's the point of it.

I'll check the cable again but it would be a massive coincidence if that was the problem (but I'm sure everyone here has examples of just that!). I have 26 zones running and over 4 years up until the Viper was installed not one false alarm (installed the Viper a few months ago).

Archived