Security Installer Community

2 Keyholder Requirement An Issue - Any Advice?

THX

whichever 'badge', if you do go for an installer you don't know the track record of then your better off going with one sporting at least one of the above badges, and i speak as an installer who is not a registerd company with any governing body.

i'd suggest get several estimates, but don't give any salesman the script from another, they are all paid to design sell and also exsplain clearly, by not giving anyone a 'heads up' you will be better able to decide who is the better informed and caring of the batch.

Arfur

QFA, very good advice.

I hate it when other firms use my design and undercut on price.

Indeed. I can guarantee if you do your homework and get a good local firm in, the job will be installed better, with a better personal service. We can offer anything that the nationals do, with the same equipment fitted

http://www.nsi.org.uk/?q=approved_company_finder

This isn't a sales pitch by the way :)

apart from established in 1874..now thats a real guarantee

Thanks all, for your feedback.

As you can probably tell this is an area that would take me a great deal of time to gain a suitable knowledge, so your good experienced advice is most appreciated.

I will seek out a few local companies holding the certifications stated and also a few nationals and see how things weigh up. A local company may also be able to provide a local Keyholder service which a national may not be interested to provide.

Thanks;

As you can probably tell this is an area that would take me a great deal of time to gain a suitable knowledge, so your good experienced advice is most appreciated.

I will seek out a few local companies holding the certifications stated and also a few nationals and see how things weigh up. A local company may also be able to provide a local Keyholder service which a national may not be interested to provide.

Thanks;

I take it you have ruled out being key holders yourself?

Thanks;

It's unlikely you will find one that will as they would need a SIA license to keyhold since 2006, we looked into it and it wasn't worth the expense so gave all our keyholding away to a local guarding co, and we normally recommend them to whoever asks us, I suspect the local would have a better idea on who to use though

QFA, very good advice.

I hate it when other firms use my design and undercut on price.

Just hate it when I'm cheaper but loose soley on big name, and they use my design word for word :(.

Smaller guys like me often get used to sqeeze the price of a bigger company, eon't maje them cheaper than me, just cheaper rhan they were, no chance if the work ever intended to be placed here.

One of the Many reasons I don't advertise.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Something Arfur would never of said 5 years ago, Im almost lost for words

Im not knocking the nationals here, but you should get at least one non national quote, and most of us who are providing this advice have worked for at least one national

Tbh Peter I never ever intended ti portray the registered companies as all a bad light, my gripe was with the laxity if the inspectorates, and still is.

I did work for several as then NACOSS firms, all did high standard work, but some other registered firms just mad me mad.

This was my 1st ever forum, so lack of posting skills got me misunderstood and in hot water, my stubborn streak meant I don't backboff, felt insulted by the block denials and so hit back hard.

I'l say sorry to anyone who misunderstood my true aims at that time, but not for my opinion which remains as is.

Arfur

As suggested you could use the keyholding firm as number 1 Keyholder then your other as number 2. The police will check the distance etc involved.

Plus if you think about it, if the police attend and it's genuine and get called away after the stated 20 mins and no-one has turned up. The burglars could still be inside as the police had no access, or your building would be left insecure. It's essential you have 2 and imo for the right reasons.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Seems a strange condition tbh

the people that live in the house can't be keyholders but yet they live the closest. The alarm will only go off to confirmed if they are out, which apart from holidays won't most times be far away.

If both are at work or out visiting, with mobile phones they can still be contacted most anehere, so can call anyone they know with keys available to attend.

Unless things have changed, when did police ever wait 20 minutes? usually it's a quick look, no sign of entry and off to the nick for tea and doughnuts

Just don't seem joined up thinking - well to me least :).

Arfur

Archived