Security Installer Community

Bsia Recommend Insurance Approval Before Any

james.wilson

Basically yes that is it Mr p

got a customer - farmer, rents some of the out buildings. middle of nowhere, electric & bt lines on pole (phone & bb), good vodafone signal. given the weather & history (frequent power cuts, occasional line fault) etc..

dont think its so clear cut these days imo.

Yes jim thanks.

Question.

If you had to signal something single path would you prefer gprs or digi?

James...apologies I have been away all day (Leeds..Burnley...home!) and only just picked this up. Simple question....but complex answer. I'll respond tomorrow when head is in better frame. Quick questions back...if you are talking digi then this is a Grade 2 Comms application, i.e. 25 hours to report single failure, client has little risk, not worried about Police, low end domestic? Suppose that a PSTN circuit is available to connect digi? So we have a choice of comms mediums (i.e. PSTN/GPRS or both). See where I am coming from?

ONe other point...is the digi on a dedicated PSTN circuit or shared with other apps, i.e. voice, fax etc?

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

no probs..I'm off for some shut-eye!

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

Arf.

I don't know how else to say this. They are not stats but a question. In not talking coverage. I'm talking about up time, or availability.

Nothing will have 100% up time, also the gprs network has outages, when it just doesn't work. What in asking is what % of this do you feel is aacceptable.

I assume you don't think that if it Ias ssignal it will work 100% of the time?

Nothing will hit that mark, even old PIU's on private circuits would get knocked out by engineers in an exchange.

The stats was where the info came from that you got to quote them? My phone in a good area has good reception, not soi good if o'm driving about. Were the down time figures for fixed handset or in general use?

I'm guessing unless assessed by a security org, likely taken from a providers info - and they don't ever fib about coverage lol!

not going tiogrind this, I use it as I think a better alternative over all, for my usual clientel needs.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hic

Quick questions back...if you are talking digi then this is a Grade 2 Comms application, i.e. 25 hours to report single failure, client has little risk, not worried about Police, low end domestic? Suppose that a PSTN circuit is available to connect digi? So we have a choice of comms mediums (i.e. PSTN/GPRS or both). See where I am coming from?

ONe other point...is the digi on a dedicated PSTN circuit or shared with other apps, i.e. voice, fax etc?

well lets use G2 as an example in this case.

Cant say low risk but can say G2 risk, with a vulnerable phone line. With Police, Commercial. Yes PSTN available and shared. voice and fax with a bit of data as they also do their banking over it.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

As I said..not all that clear cut, so lets take the scenario further...

I think you'd have to advise that Grade 2 suggests you need a monitored circuit, especially if you want to retain Police, and even more so if

vulnerable to landline attack. A digi will not monitor the condition of the circuit (I don't consider a test signal every 24 hours a check on

circuit availability), so I would not advise fitting a digi..period (in this scenario).

But GPRS on it's own is also vulnerable because network providers tend to take serving cells down at night. A single path failure on GPRS will

be an unconfirmed event (in the early days may generate Police attendance, which will be treated as a false alarm) and it does not take many false alarms to loose Police Mr Customer, and then you have to upgrade to Dual Path anyway.

So...I'd be advising a dual path system, either GPRS/PSTN or IP/GPRS, especially if the landline circuit is vulnerable.

With regards to the Signalling Grade, I'd be pointing out the reporting times of the various grades and the increased security as you go up the scale. Are you happy, Mr Customer, if someone cuts your phone line that you may not know about this for 25 hours, in which time your intruder has cleaned you out? Or would you like better than that?

Customer then has informed choice...spend a little more and he has increased security on his comms and property or stay as he is and run the risk. You've done your job as a consultant.

Oh and one last point...ask him if he'd consider going back to using a dial-up 56Kbps modem to do his on-line banking and internet browsing. Because that's what his security system is using. Smiley face.

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

Archived