Security Installer Community

Bsia Recommend Insurance Approval Before Any

james.wilson

Arf, I don't want to rethink no.

You might want to by looking into the availability of the gprs network and its priorities.

I agree that a land line can easily be knocked out, but what would you say was an acceptable up time for gprs....98%,96,94 %?

Compare that to a land line also.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

a few. At least then the spec will be passed to the insurer for approval etc.

can count on one hand how many specs get asked for & phone calls tend to just ask eg is it redcare.

Ive always wondered why the insurers dont insist on G4 comms. They used to when they specified redcare etc.

judging by how long its taken them to recognise ssaib (not a slur :fear: ) reckon they still think redcare = G4 in many cases. met insurer on site few weeks back & asked for his input re remote signalling, answer: dont care what you do so long as its redcare.

Arf, I don't want to rethink no.

You might want to by looking into the availability of the gprs network and its priorities.

I agree that a land line can easily be knocked out, but what would you say was an acceptable up time for gprs....98%,96,94 %?

Compare that to a land line also.

James,

at the start i said with a good gprs signal (and that also applies to redcare/gsm), place what you state against gprs, tou can't leave the phone left off hook, mr BT Man down manhole or in exchange, roadworks, adsl attached, client moves line from BT to talktalk, impervbious to failed messing around with phone systems (as per BT's retracted attemprs), i think GPRS stands up fairly well tbh, and like i said a bit later nothing to stop both gprs and landline being connected, as belt ad braces.

becomes a bit like the debate between hard wired and wireless kit, each has advantages and disadvantages so neither are 100%

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Each do have merits. But like I said with gprs what do you think is an acceptable up time. 100 %

95 ?

And I'd also assume good signal area etc.

where are those stats from?

each network has dead spots in diferent places due to mast locations, but even 95% would be really unlucky for a signal not getting out, due to loss of the gprs line, which would be signalled at the site when unset.

so if it was a regular loss the client would see this on the keypad way before it was an issue.

i updated a block of alarm panels in hampsead to G595's from 9800's, one flat asked the question (having read the user manual) about voice diallers, these alarms are via the landlord, so all occupants are tennents.

he got permission to have his system hooked to the phone line for the voice dialler, for about 12 weeks after he got upto 4 line faults a day, there has been a lot of sewer works around the Frognal area. those line faults stopped when those sewer works stopped,

but prior, could i convince him there was no issue with the euipment , kept asking me to dial in to check - on a and line that was out of service :rolleyes: .

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Arf.

I don't know how else to say this. They are not stats but a question. In not talking coverage. I'm talking about up time, or availability.

Nothing will have 100% up time, also the gprs network has outages, when it just doesn't work. What in asking is what % of this do you feel is aacceptable.

I assume you don't think that if it Ias ssignal it will work 100% of the time?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Gents....95% availability actually equates to 18 hours downtime of the network over a year. Monitoring all networks, (PSTN, ADSL, GPRS etc) we find that they all provide at least 99.8% availability on the whole. As consumers, both private and business, we simply would not accept it any other way. However, there are individual sites on all forms of communication medium that fall well below these figures. Be it radio coverage, filter application, interference, contention or distance from the exchange etc, etc that are to blame. As providers my company has to identify these sites. The desired availability requirement is 99.8%, and as I mention above, this is what you get on the majority of circuits (whatever the comms medium).

Going back to the grading of the system. In communication terms we have to remember that G2 has a reporting time of 25 hours notification of a line fail, Grade 3 is 5 hours and Grade 4 is 3 minutes. This is where you start to determine the risk, and I guess its a question of explaining to the client what will happen (or won't happen!) if a fixed line is cut.

Hope that's useful?

Jim

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

Archived