Security Installer Community

Bsia Recommend Insurance Approval Before Any

james.wilson

I meant on a service not remotely. What classes as low enough, and is it the lower the signal the longer the transmission delay?

No i dont ask for sig strength checks on service. i rely on ARC for sig loss :hmm:

Thats part of my q

Customers!

I can't relate to directly jeffs input, but the kit I use I can request signal strength, both at the rkp and remotely via idk or mobile phone.

I know it fluctuates, but should that be such a concern on a site that don't by default to a higher risk?

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Jeff...the slience being because I have only just logged back in, so apologies for the apparent lack of interest! I agree, you should not loose any alarms, period; but.... I don't think I am in a position to comment on why (in this instance) this has occured on a service that competes with our own. Too many variables that may cause this, it could be the mobile service and it could be hardware/software related and many more.

However...I will come back with some more comments on some aspects of radio, probably tomorrow which I hope are useful. Been a long day.

One thing before I go. When you monitor a radio circuit with high freqency end to end polling, you realise that signal strength is a very poor indicator of service delivery. Service availability can only be based on a combination of the two. Radio and especially GPRS is a very good medium for alarm delivery with availability figures in excess of 99.8%. I'd agree that it's prime use should be in conjunction with another fixed line service, but it is a very reliable service.

More later..

Jim

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

Jim

I know you understand this a lot better than me, but the problems do not seem to indicate that GPRS is a good primary path.

Backup path maybe, but as i said, never saw this on paknet (old dualcoms) or on redcare gsm.

The 2 things that concern me from jeffs post

Below i have attached a Policed signal that was aborted (cancel by user) on a digi attached to a Dualcom. The anomily here is the Dual com transmitted all (well almost all as the Open signal got lost in transmission) some 15 minuites + after the alarm event had been dealt with by the customer and alarm co. FIFTEEN MINUTE!!! is that acceptable?

I have this situation on Redcare systems where the Digi signals beat the R/C but rarely. The lost close signal on DualCom is a more frequent than i would like.

Now its a concern that the digi is beating the redcare too, few seconds i can go with but as jef says 15 mins?

We use redcare secure & gsm, and i was also a fan of the old dualcom plus units. So i see this as a a gprs issue rather than a unit issue at the moment.

Jef, what grade is the dualcom on this site?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Yes, 15 minutes delay of the delivery of these signals is not good. But I think it is very difficult to discuss what would (on face value) appear to be an isolated case. I also think it is dangerous to generalise on this one case too (i.e. about the acceptability of GPRS as primary). I think from my stance as a competitor to CSL it is not right for me to comment much further on this one incident and although we compete, we both utilise GPRS as a primary circuit (although admitedly this service forms a minority of our installed base).

All I can say is that from our statistics, in the majority of cases, radio signal and service delivery is perfectly acceptable as the primary circuit. As Installers I think you need to question your providers, (me included) as to how the circuits are monitored, how frequently the local interface is checked, how frequently the circuit actively polled (end to end) and most importantly what are the reporting times.

I would add that the radio installation is the most challenging to achieve where you have a few variables running against you, such as location, building construction etc. But with the right tools and support you can get around these issues.

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

going back to days of the 1st digi's, the traffic from open/close signals is obviously high at normal open and closed times. this would often lead to cngestion at the receivers. while a reciver could handle 100's of digi accounts, the lines in could not.

so i'm wondering, in a similar vein as to internet traffic and swamping question, has that caused the dealy? i.e not the medium used but the receiver's simultaneous signal recption ability?

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Could be, but what if it was a pa, fire or confirm that was lost. Granted its just an open, and that wouldn't normally be a problem. But in this case because the open didn't get through, the auto abort didn't work so this was a policed false alarm.

Jef can you do a support showing other missing signals, as someone said it is only 1 site at the mo.

I can't raise one as we don't double signal like you.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived