Security Installer Community

Proposed New Ip Camera System - Opinions

ncohen

Nope. look again.

There is NO mention of total.

the reason why it says upto is also linked to cameras also upto. so if he uses 8 1mp cameras total is 8mp

but if he uses 6 1.3mp which will give him 7.8 mp.

that is a poor nvr plus output is vga ....... if he uses a 3mp camera he can only view at vga res just a waste.

the reason why it says upto is also linked to cameras also upto. so if he uses 8 1mp cameras total is 8mp

but if he uses 6 1.3mp which will give him 7.8 mp.

that is a poor nvr plus output is vga ....... if he uses a 3mp camera he can only view at vga res just a waste.

That's not how i read it.

Mind you, i was also looking at the pro version at times.

well care to suggest a different unit then?

thanks

Hi ncohen. looking at your pictures i would go hybrid and use some of your gardens existing cameras. i would not advise that you use network cameras in trees. if it is got at and shorts out or anything it will also knock out your full camera network. this system takes your existing cameras but also can take 5mp on each channel thats a total of mix and match upto 48mp http://www.avermedia.com/averdigi/product/Detail.aspx?Id=263&Tab=Specification

Hi ncohen. looking at your pictures i would go hybrid and use some of your gardens existing cameras. i would not advise that you use network cameras in trees. if it is got at and shorts out or anything it will also knock out your full camera network. this system takes your existing cameras but also can take 5mp on each channel thats a total of mix and match upto 48mp http://www.avermedia.com/averdigi/product/Detail.aspx?Id=263&Tab=Specification

hi thanks for the reply

i dont want to use any of the existing cameras, they are atleast 5-6 years old and just not very good.

i will make sure the cables are carefully protected to make sure nothing will be able to get to the cables.

how much is that unit?

thanks

hi thanks for the reply

i dont want to use any of the existing cameras, they are atleast 5-6 years old and just not very good.

i will make sure the cables are carefully protected to make sure nothing will be able to get to the cables.

how much is that unit?

thanks

hmmm! cameras in tree's yummy! -:,

Grey Squirels are a very very determined vandals, they just love nothing more than a good crunch on a lump of plastic conduit and/or plastic boxes, and then to have branches, and loads of spiders who like to make webbs, and changinge densities of foilage, and birds doing a 'nelson' on the lens, and - do i need to go on?

you mention using a composit to UHF converter, this is ok for having a look on Tv's around the home say if you hear a noise or looking after the kisd palaying, but to be honest if your intending to do this at the main viewing point, and after spending so over much on IP kit, you might as well put in a wonderful billy bee's sound system - and play it through some boot sale bough knock off binatone speakers.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i was thinking about it and decided to get vga extenders over cat5, there are 2 tv's which the cameras will be viewed on so will run the vga over cat5 to them, that way they will get the best possible picture to the tv.

they will be a viewing point, there are dedicated tv's for them (27 inch or so lcd's) so if doing vga over cat 5 will be fine. also each pc will be able to view the cameras.

so...probably going to order the qnap 2008 pro tomorrow and get all the wiring done and when i decide on cameras i will order them.

so...camera suggestions after seeing the pictures?

thanks

i was thinking about it and decided to get vga extenders over cat5, there are 2 tv's which the cameras will be viewed on so will run the vga over cat5 to them, that way they will get the best possible picture to the tv.

they will be a viewing point, there are dedicated tv's for them (27 inch or so lcd's) so if doing vga over cat 5 will be fine. also each pc will be able to view the cameras.

so...probably going to order the qnap 2008 pro tomorrow and get all the wiring done and when i decide on cameras i will order them.

so...camera suggestions after seeing the pictures?

thanks

all i can do is give advice. the qnap will not do what you need. my key fail points . your back camera is to far away you will need to bridge the network to go that far and you will also need power there (poe will not go that far). vga extenders are fine but they degrade the picture quality. but with two monitors you will also need a vga splitter and that will stop you using your mouse to control your system on the tv. then you are going to have the cost of a good network switch. and then the cost of illuminators or pir lighting for your ip cameras.

all i can do is give advice. the qnap will not do what you need. my key fail points . your back camera is to far away you will need to bridge the network to go that far and you will also need power there (poe will not go that far). vga extenders are fine but they degrade the picture quality. but with two monitors you will also need a vga splitter and that will stop you using your mouse to control your system on the tv. then you are going to have the cost of a good network switch. and then the cost of illuminators or pir lighting for your ip cameras.

Tom

I dont know the gear (the nvr bit) that well, i have only ever seen QNAP devices as NAS units, but. A decent VGA extender or even better KVM extender will be fine. Used them myself over shortish distances <100m with no loss on quality at 1600x1200 res. Works well.

If its a KVM extender then if he gets one designed for 3 locations, or uses an IP one it will also work well.

The original IP cams he was looking at have built in LED;s. Now as im sure most of you know im not a huge fan of anything with built in leds, as i have an led based torch and the bulb based maglite is far far better. Also seems to only be cheap and nasty (in a product range) that has built in leds but some image is better than no image so i suppose they have their place.

I have only ever played with one vivotek camera and it was awful, but that was a few years ago and if they hadnt improved they wouldnt sell any.

I do agree with the sentiment that you should concentrate in some areas on better cameras and pixel count, but pixel count is only part of the story, how many times do you read reviews of digital cameras where a cheap 12 megapixel is outperformed by a slightly dearer 8 megapixel etc.

If i had to recommend a camera for external use (ie no housing required) id go for these

http://www.iqeye.com/products/sentinel-series.html

Not cheap but a very very fine unit, however you will need some illumination. You may have enough leaked light etc to not need additional illumination.

Id still say axis for the normal stuff, well priced and excellent performance

But the vivoteks look cheap, and the spec sounds ok. But then as has been said if you were buying a car would you buy it on number of wheels, internal space and cost? Or would other factors affect your decision?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived