Security Installer Community

Proposed New Ip Camera System - Opinions

ncohen

The axis cameras are that price for a reason. Also megapixel places much higher demands on the camera processor. Decent ip camera brands, and I am generalising here, are axis, mobotix, Panasonic (mostly), ycam, acti, arecont and iqvision. You will notice vivotech is absent from that list.

All imho of course

I'd be concerned about stability, low light performance and longevity.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Sorry, but you're throwing red herrings in to the mix. By you're argument traditional Storage methods are also vulnerable and so should also be avoided.

If the Server is down, SD storage is likely to be down also. PoE remember.

Given limitations of current POE of 12.5 watts @ 100 meters, on larger sites local supplies would likely be employed, so no I have not ignored them just, used real life likelyhoods.

how so? we are stuck with current drives but solid state are on the march for the near future viability/price point. and not If the Sd card is fitted in the camera, the NDR even using traditional HD's can't possibly be affected, unless the video signal fails. if the NDR fails it also can't affect the Sd recordings, becomes belt and braces and ideal fir hi profile/risk installations.

On that course, several guys had problems getting to grips with this, helped me as I talked it through with them, i also learnt what clients might ask, so I ended up doing my own mini lecture at coffee break - bet they wished they had never asked lol!

Let's say a cable is broke, fire whatever something happens. Camera as long as it has power is now 'solo' and recording to SD, so it can still be viewed later once the network is restored to camera, or you can retrieve the SD card as normal :).

You can even have a hard drive on the camera to double up so to speak and increase recording capacity.

Both NDR.and DVR are subjected to the same failure regarding hard drive problems, because they are mechanical devices with bearings, so ip camera/s using SD recording locally, are sort of self redundant if one fails, because it will in no way affect the others cameras or NDR for recording.

Once a camera is dead, for what ever cause, it is not going to record any further no matter if that is done centrally or at camera, so all you may get s the approach before attack is made, so vulnerable cameras there is nothing to stop anyone doing both types of recording, but where they are reasonably secure, on a large site then going ip, costwise can be greatly reduced with a higher flexibility offered.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

While i can see the benefit for single camera low security jobs recording to the camera locally, but also where do you get POE is 12.5 watts from?

the max cable length us 100 meters including patch leads, 48 volts is supplied at a fixed current from POE devices (currently) allowing fir voltage drop over a 100 meters works out 12.5 watts. Obviously 20 meters you could draw more, the calc was shown on the White board (but i can't remember the format) by the speaker. I hope i have the coure reference in a booklet from ADI Gardiner.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

right

but

Category 5 cable uses 24 AWG conductors, which can safely carry 360 mA at 50 V according to the latest TIA ruling.[citation needed] The cable has eight conductors (only half of which are used for power) and therefore the absolute maximum power transmitted using direct current is 50 V × 0.360 A × 2 = 36 W. Considering the voltage drop after 100 m, a PD would be able to receive 31.6 W. The additional heat generated in the wires by PoE at this current level (4.4 watts per 100 meter cable) limits the total number of cables in a bundle to be 100 cables at 45 °C, according to the TIA.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

ok so here is an axis camera i have found: AXIS M1114 Fixed Network Camera 0341-001 http://www.use-ip.co.uk/axis-m1114-fixed-network-camera-0341-001.html

its £120 more than the vivotek one, plus i will need to buy an outdoor casing for each one. £30 or so

So, is that camera really worth the extra £150 or so? if so why?

And another: ACTi ACM-1231 Megapixel IP Outdoor IR Bullet Camera http://www.use-ip.co.uk/acti-acm-1231-megapixel-ip-outdoor-ir-bullet-camera.html

no need for outer casing, so its £170 more than the vivotek one

again same question, is it worth it? better than axis? if so why?

I appreciate you guys trying to help me and answering all my questions :) I'm sure you dont want me buying the wrong product!! :)

thanks!!

edit

here is a YCAM camera i found: Ycam Bullet Wireless IP Camera YCBL03 http://www.use-ip.co.uk/ycam-bullet-wireless-ip-camera-ycbl03.html

same questions as above! feel free to show me where i can get them cheaper or if there is a known installer on here who does north west london

while im at it...AVERDIGI???any good? AVerDiGi SF1311H-Bhttp://www.moretonalarms.co.uk/shop/article_286/AVerDiGi-SF1311H-B.html?shop_param=cid%3D26%26aid%3D286%26

thanks

Archived