Security Installer Community

Proposed New Ip Camera System - Opinions

ncohen

the max cable length us 100 meters including patch leads, 48 volts is supplied at a fixed current from POE devices (currently) allowing fir voltage drop over a 100 meters works out 12.5 watts. Obviously 20 meters you could draw more, the calc was shown on the White board (but i can't remember the format) by the speaker. I hope i have the coure reference in a booklet from ADI Gardiner.

Arfur

Arf, what sort of house are we referring to here?

Buck House?

Unless the op lives in a big mansion i doubt very much he will hit problems due to volts drop.

From your post the other day after your course you appear to have become an evangelist for storing on sd cards. I must say that when you mentioned it i got the distinct impression you were previously unaware of this feature. Now you seem to suddenly think it's the way to go.

The guy from Mobotix strongly suggested to us to use SD as a buffer to allow for network bottlenecks that can occasionally crop up.

Assuming nothing awkward about the OPs network - when installed. It should certainly be no less reliant than any other network. The NVR quoted is in effect, a NAS. Good bit of kit and will happily run unattended.

As for the camera, i suspect it was chosen on price rather than function. Several better to choose from but budgets will dictate.

house is big, but not that big! each camera will be at max 30-40m, maybe 60m to the back of the garden but nothing more than that.

so the NVR is sorted :)

just need to finalise the cameras!

there is no 100% budget, but around that price is better! but for the sake of £100 per camera, if it really is worth it than i will go for it but if not than let me know what i should do! :)

thanks!

Acti you have show at

http://www.uk-computers.co.uk/StoreFront/evolution_product.html?Product=acti-ip-bullet-1mp-ir-dn-poe-ip-66&idProduct=225978

for £350

if your dead set on your product choice then go for it and let us know.

You usually find on cheaper ip cams they lock up and have poor low light images.

Use axis regually and can heavily recommend.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Acti you have show at

http://www.uk-computers.co.uk/StoreFront/evolution_product.html?Product=acti-ip-bullet-1mp-ir-dn-poe-ip-66&idProduct=225978

for £350

if your dead set on your product choice then go for it and let us know.

You usually find on cheaper ip cams they lock up and have poor low light images.

Use axis regually and can heavily recommend.

thanks for that!

im not dead set, apart from NVR as some have said its good to go for and nothing bad about it.

should i be looked at an axis ip camera as almost everyone has said go for it and as you use them regually and recommend them i cant imagine them being bad!

thanks

There is a huge variety of cameras out there, manufacturers carry many different models and there is a reason for this, no single camera does everything and without a site survey you are asking a lot for someone to recommend a single camera for your situation. There are simply too many variables such as light levels (at night), area to be covered, etc. Megapixel should have better picture quality during the day, although much progress have been made of late, the more pixels you stuff into an area (e.g. 1/3 inch Chip) the less sensitive to light it will be so the more light you will need to make an acceptable picture - a megapixel black screen is of no use to anyone. For this reason and others, I would expect the vivotek bullet camera initially suggested only to be of benefit over an analog camera in a very small defined space and be of very little benefit (if any) over a good analog camera for a large area (at night for both situations)

IMO without a site survey the only recommendation that can be made and to get the full benefit of megapixel is; do not rely on substitute lighting such as IR and upgrade existing lighting so that megapixel colour images can be achieved day and night, if you make this your approach it will be much easier to recommend a camera.

ok so here is an axis camera i have found: AXIS M1114 Fixed Network Camera 0341-001 http://www.use-ip.co.uk/axis-m1114-fixed-network-camera-0341-001.html

its £120 more than the vivotek one, plus i will need to buy an outdoor casing for each one. £30 or so

So, is that camera really worth the extra £150 or so? if so why?

And another: ACTi ACM-1231 Megapixel IP Outdoor IR Bullet Camera http://www.use-ip.co.uk/acti-acm-1231-megapixel-ip-outdoor-ir-bullet-camera.html

no need for outer casing, so its £170 more than the vivotek one

again same question, is it worth it? better than axis? if so why?

I appreciate you guys trying to help me and answering all my questions :) I'm sure you dont want me buying the wrong product!! :)

thanks!!

edit

here is a YCAM camera i found: Ycam Bullet Wireless IP Camera YCBL03 http://www.use-ip.co.uk/ycam-bullet-wireless-ip-camera-ycbl03.html

same questions as above! feel free to show me where i can get them cheaper or if there is a known installer on here who does north west london

while im at it...AVERDIGI???any good? AVerDiGi SF1311H-Bhttp://www.moretonalarms.co.uk/shop/article_286/AVerDiGi-SF1311H-B.html?shop_param=cid%3D26%26aid%3D286%26

thanks

Hi. its ok picking cameras but its down to the nvr, first will it run the cameras at there best settings. plus for home use you can over price what you actually need. they are not many ip cameras that are good at low light. i would look at a hybrid dvr ... use ip for you most important areas and standard for not so important....... that means you can buy better ip (you will only need 3 4mp ip) cameras to cover a massive area the sanyo HD 3500 is the best i have used. the avermedia sf1311h is a new camera from avers (i have 1 here) but you are paying for the wifi side of the camera look at the avers 1.3 mp without wifi to get your price down.

You need to state what you want ti see, faces at what distance, horse in a feild, dustbin sheds, car park, porche.

Example of boot om other foot, please choose a car for me, how much and why? I'm lookking at a new Focus, is buying a BMW going to be better for me? Or should I go for a smart car?

We can offer advice, but not a masters course unfortunately, and tbh the last people in the worrld to ask for a deinstive answer - is a group of engineers :).

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Arf, what sort of house are we referring to here?

Buck House?

Unless the op lives in a big mansion i doubt very much he will hit problems due to volts drop.

From your post the other day after your course you appear to have become an evangelist for storing on sd cards. I must say that when you mentioned it i got the distinct impression you were previously unaware of this feature. Now you seem to suddenly think it's the way to go.

The guy from Mobotix strongly suggested to us to use SD as a buffer to allow for network bottlenecks that can occasionally crop up.

Assuming nothing awkward about the OPs network - when installed. It should certainly be no less reliant than any other network. The NVR quoted is in effect, a NAS. Good bit of kit and will happily run unattended.

As for the camera, i suspect it was chosen on price rather than function. Several better to choose from but budgets will dictate.

We have indication of building, but o/p is looking at ip. I'd guess he knows traditional CCTV kit is far cheaper, he wants advice on certain models, a dedicated NDR is a hefty expense if he can save by using local Sd/hd recording, advice is what the o/p is getting.

You brought up vulnerable cameras, if not s mansion Willkie attract such a determined intruder that will smash IR remove, you can't have it both ways when criticising ;).

so I discussed pro's v cons and also mutual considerations, I'm guessing this is not a 2 up 3 down terraced simply because the implied willingness to spend more without a risk assessment than IMHO is needed.

I am enthusiastic on ip, but then I am on anything that I can make avoiding from, Sd recording I have fit for 10 years, since my 1st memocam, so the SD idea is not new to menu any means.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

thanks for the replies

as far as nvr goes it will be the qnap 2012 pro (going for the pro version to have vga output and converted to be able to view on a seperate tv channel)

as far as my research tells me that will record at upto 4 or 5 megapixel and 30fps, so more than enough than what i will be using it for.

i probably should have been more specific to what the cameras will be looking at...so:

3 in front of house: 1 looking at the house itself, 1 mounted 10m high or so, on the right of the house looking down at the left front and driveway, 1 same as previous but on the left side looking at the right

3 in back of house: 1 looking at the back of the house from the back of the garden, 1 looking at the left of the garden from the right of the house and 1 looking at the right side of the garden from the left of the house. I will upload pics later today to give you all a better idea.

Thanks

thanks for the replies

as far as nvr goes it will be the qnap 2012 pro (going for the pro version to have vga output and converted to be able to view on a seperate tv channel)

as far as my research tells me that will record at upto 4 or 5 megapixel and 30fps, so more than enough than what i will be using it for.

i probably should have been more specific to what the cameras will be looking at...so:

3 in front of house: 1 looking at the house itself, 1 mounted 10m high or so, on the right of the house looking down at the left front and driveway, 1 same as previous but on the left side looking at the right

3 in back of house: 1 looking at the back of the house from the back of the garden, 1 looking at the left of the garden from the right of the house and 1 looking at the right side of the garden from the left of the house. I will upload pics later today to give you all a better idea.

Thanks

the qnap 2012 pro will only run upto 8mp in total. so your cameras will not work unless you only use some 1mp and 1.3mp to run more you will need a sever extention.

i would also look at the way that you want it to connect to your tv...... if you have vga input then that is fine. so if you are going to spend alot of money on the qnap 2012 pro i would look at the total you need in ip cameras first if you are over 8mp i would look at something else

Archived