Security Installer Community

Proposed New Ip Camera System - Opinions

ncohen

If the NDR has composite outputs could the o/p not run that remote Tv's using baluns and video spitter?

Done that on dvr's several times where LCD monitors were placed in halls and on landings etc with superb results usungthe 7" headrest type monitors.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Tom

I dont know the gear (the nvr bit) that well, i have only ever seen QNAP devices as NAS units, but. A decent VGA extender or even better KVM extender will be fine. Used them myself over shortish distances <100m with no loss on quality at 1600x1200 res. Works well.

If its a KVM extender then if he gets one designed for 3 locations, or uses an IP one it will also work well.

The original IP cams he was looking at have built in LED;s. Now as im sure most of you know im not a huge fan of anything with built in leds, as i have an led based torch and the bulb based maglite is far far better. Also seems to only be cheap and nasty (in a product range) that has built in leds but some image is better than no image so i suppose they have their place.

I have only ever played with one vivotek camera and it was awful, but that was a few years ago and if they hadnt improved they wouldnt sell any.

I do agree with the sentiment that you should concentrate in some areas on better cameras and pixel count, but pixel count is only part of the story, how many times do you read reviews of digital cameras where a cheap 12 megapixel is outperformed by a slightly dearer 8 megapixel etc.

If i had to recommend a camera for external use (ie no housing required) id go for these

http://www.iqeye.com/products/sentinel-series.html

Not cheap but a very very fine unit, however you will need some illumination. You may have enough leaked light etc to not need additional illumination.

Id still say axis for the normal stuff, well priced and excellent performance

But the vivoteks look cheap, and the spec sounds ok. But then as has been said if you were buying a car would you buy it on number of wheels, internal space and cost? Or would other factors affect your decision?

hi james yes i have used the iqeye camera and it is very good and has very good lowlight. the KVM will do the job but a 3 out is a far cost.

After all that's been said, the quest was advice.

Mr Cohen, your choice IMHO as a pro engineer of over 40 years experience, this ip based system is is simply way over the top for your needs, if stood in front of you and knowing I'd loose money for saying it - my opinions would stand.

This kit is fine for shopping malls, schools factories, large shops but unless you have some undiscovered Picaso's (btw where you ever an electrician?), it's simply serious overkill.

No CCTV system is ever going to physically capture an intruder, so unless your going ti watch it, or have someone watch it 24/7 it is only ever going to be used reactivly, in that the event, then the recordings are used.

The best camera in the world can not see through a hoody, or a coat of paint sprayed onto the lens, by all means have the cats knutts system

just trust me, once the novelty wears off and you have showed it to all your admiring relatives and mates (bad idea btw) it will not be much looked at.

My strongest advice would be concider spending you disposable cash on external detection, using Risco WatchOuts.

It is better to try to warn off intruders so prevent the loss, than trying to catch them after the act,

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

sort of agree with the last bit, ie cctv is not the cure for all problems. but

This kit is fine for shopping malls, schools factories, but unless you have some undiscovered Picaso's (btw where you ever an electrician?), it's simply serious overkill.

Dont agree by a country mile.

Megapixel IP is the future, we have accepted for too long poor quality images from PAL composite cameras. I accept the tech is limited and we have got around that by limited views, zoomed in sections, even ptz. But multi megapixel is defiently the future.

My issue with it is that i can but a 10 megapixel decent dslr for £600 ish, but an equivilent cctv camera of that res is thousands.

In time that will come down and then PAL is dead for all but general views and real bottom end cheap systems. There is IMO no major reason why a relativly decent performing 5 MP day night camera cant be less than £500. Then we need the mainstream manufactures to offer a mid range professional DVR to handle this and its off. Until then people will continue to use the wrong gear cos it seems good on paper.

As a side note im yet to see a camera perform in low light as well as a panasonic FIT 1/2 with a good quality fujinon aspherical lens. They all look great until movement occurs. But a FIT panasonic and a Fujinon was over £1k for a pal camera. Dont think we have moved on that much really apart from pixel count

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

After all that's been said, the quest was advice.

Mr Cohen, your choice IMHO as a pro engineer of over 40 years experience, this ip based system is is simply way over the top for your needs, if stood in front of you and knowing I'd loose money for saying it - my opinions would stand.

This kit is fine for shopping malls, schools factories, large shops but unless you have some undiscovered Picaso's (btw where you ever an electrician?), it's simply serious overkill.

No CCTV system is ever going to physically capture an intruder, so unless your going ti watch it, or have someone watch it 24/7 it is only ever going to be used reactivly, in that the event, then the recordings are used.

The best camera in the world can not see through a hoody, or a coat of paint sprayed onto the lens, by all means have the cats knutts system

just trust me, once the novelty wears off and you have showed it to all your admiring relatives and mates (bad idea btw) it will not be much looked at.

My strongest advice would be concider spending you disposable cash on external detection, using Risco WatchOuts.

It is better to try to warn off intruders so prevent the loss, than trying to catch them after the act,

Arfur

You know what, you talk alot of sense.

After reading through countless websites, forums and reviews this is way too much for a house. Would be nice, yes, but not 100% necessery.

I'm not an electrician, but i do like my electronics. I'm a 20 year old student who hates seeing people getting taken for a ride! (example being while i was away a company came and installed about 20 security camera in a site my family owns. The recorder is a dedicated micros eco9, which is outdated and when an incident happened where they needed to view the recording it took hours to find the time where it happened and to burn to a cd took even longer)

Even though this hasn't lead to me buying new cameras, I'm happy that I have a greater knowledge of CCTV and I'm sure it will come into use some time soon.

For the moment im going to buy a cheap 8 channel dvr to work with my current cameras and leave it at that for the moment...until the price of megapixel cameras and nvr's come down.

Thanks for all the replies guys really has helped!! :)

i do feel with your previous spec of equipment that is a good idea.

Get something decent at the right price mind.

I notice you have a 3 series, so you appreciate spending money in the right areas. Cameras and dvr's are the same. The old addage is true with cctv, buy cheap (or too cheap) and you will buy twice

yeah buy cheap buy twice, obey by that rule! and yup got it recently :) love it

at the risk of starting a war on here lol

shall i just buy this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROBOX-8-camera-cctv-channel-dvr-recorder-barracuda-h264-/200527171978?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item2eb059d18a

will be better than what i have now (dedicated micros eco9 - broken too) and has 2 years warranty so will come accross the cctv page in 2 years lol

:) thanks

looks carp.

DM is market leader afaik, granted the eco range isnt brilliant but then it is an eco (think tesco value)

I have been testing for review a unit that is pal/ntsc only and i really rate but is not currently available in the UK (will be by the middle of december) but wont do IP yet.

The problem with asking us what to fit / use (us being pro installers) we all have our own chosen and tested kit,

What i think is spot on other installers will not like or prefer others. Just like with car brands. You like BMW, i like AUDI. we will each have our reasons for it.

You best bet is to break your system down to component parts and ask for opinion. I wouldnt rush your decision as this is a serious purchase,

I would say you were looking at consumer gear, you are now possibly looking at buying pro gear and fitting yourself.

Archived