Security Installer Community

Proposed New Ip Camera System - Opinions

ncohen

Hi all,

I am new here and looking for some help on a new cctv system!

I have decided to go ip. An increase in quality comapred to the normal cameras is the main reason.

It will be used in a home, 6 outdoor camera, perhaps add one or two indoor in the future. 3 in the front of the house and 3 in the garden.

So proposed system:

Cameras: Vivotek IP8332 1MP http://www.use-ip.co.uk/vivotek-ip8332-network-bullet-camera.html

NVR: QNAP VioStor VS-2012 Network Video Recorder (2tb HD) http://www.use-ip.co.uk/qnap-viostor-vs-2012-network-video-recorder.html

Power Over Ethernet: SMC GS8P 8-Port Gigabit POE Switch http://www.use-ip.co.uk/smc-gs8p-8-port-gigabit-poe-switch.html

Will be running new cat6 cables from the cameras to the NVR located in the basement.

So, thoughts on the system? Anyone care to reccomend anything else?

Others more experienced in IP cameras wil likely comment, selection depends on your budget and to be honest the real need to spend more money on hi end CCTv than on a good, cost effective traditional kit.

your running cables, trust me there is absolutely no need for CAT6, just use CAT5e UTP,

while CAT6 sounds really sexy and hip, the take up is very sluggish (i install LANS), while some people well sell you CAT6 based on futur proofing (so using fear tactics lol!), which it will have, in large industrial or commercial locations, but to be perfectly honest a total wast of money and effort for your personal needs,

To be able to reap any benifit you will need to own, have access to and the knowledge to operate a serious network analiser, cost circa 3k+ , otherwise you can have performance faults taht are critical to CAT6 network bandwidth etc, but your low CAT5e 'pull' you will never know about.

i exsplain it this way, fitting CAT6 cable and sockets and switcheds it will be like sticking a 20 gallon tank on your petrol strimmer, it will never ever need or use the capacity, especially on a dedicated house cctv system.

as it happens, i went on an IP CCTv introductory course last week, and have to say the kit demo'd really rocks, while it is conciderably more pricey. to reduce cost, instead of a NDR, i would concider looking at IP cameras that record direct to built in SD cards, then you are not imited by the recording hardware ability, hard drive size or any hard disk failure issue, taking out the whole system.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

It looks like that gear is consumer grade, not pro. At this level any unmanaged switch will be fine, as Arf says no need for cat 6 either.

My past experience of vivotech cameras was poor so I couldn't recommend.

If I HAD to recommend a bullet ip camera I'd say acti.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

instead of a NDR, i would concider looking at IP cameras that record direct to built in SD cards, then you are not imited by the recording hardware ability, hard drive size or any hard disk failure issue, taking out the whole system.

Arfur

The QNAP kit is good stuff. And whats with the sudden desire to have the recorded images outside, unprotected in the vulnerable location??

wow thanks for the quick replies!

well the price difference of cat 5 to 6 was minimal so i thought why not...but if it will cause issues ill just get cat 5 (suitable for outdoor use) and be done with it.

i decided on those cameras as the videos of them on youtube looked great, but im up for whatever you recommend. budget is about £300 per camera, but can incease if its worth it.

regarding the qnap NVR, i want to have the output connected to a tv to be on the whole time, is this possible?

I have had a look for axis ip cameras but they all seem £4-500 plus...unless im looking at the wrong place??

Thanks for the responces and the quicked the better as i hope to order them for tomorrow/tuesday latest!

The QNAP kit is good stuff. And whats with the sudden desire to have the recorded images outside, unprotected in the vulnerable location??

If vulnerable camera location I'd agree.

Be down RA, I think 'we' have to balance a very high degree of expansion with Sd card used as individual device solid state backup, against if server being compromised by local power down nosey fingers, disk failure or simply down times for system maintenance needs.

With 1 TB of SD on the map, has to be considered IMHO just as stand alone use.

Arfur

wow thanks for the quick replies!

well the price difference of cat 5 to 6 was minimal so i thought why not...but if it will cause issues ill just get cat 5 (suitable for outdoor use) and be done with it.

i decided on those cameras as the videos of them on youtube looked great, but im up for whatever you recommend. budget is about £300 per camera, but can incease if its worth it.

regarding the qnap NVR, i want to have the output connected to a tv to be on the whole time, is this possible?

I have had a look for axis ip cameras but they all seem £4-500 plus...unless im looking at the wrong place??

Thanks for the responces and the quicked the better as i hope to order them for tomorrow/tuesday latest!

Can I respectfuly suggest you are Comming in from the wrong angle?if going ip then tbh if budget is a consideration- forget it.

You can still cable in ordinary CAT5e, nothing special is required onless going overhead on straining wiire abd just poking out for a housing or to a weather resistant box.

I detect you reading to much technical info and being blinded by it. The cameras used for ip are generally in the Hd range, but have less low light sensitivity to be considered.

There is so much more to know, before you can truly make the 'right' decision to be honest. Without doing so you may as well buy a kit frim marlins or eBay.

Arfur

I understand what you mean.

I'm trying to do as much research as possible and have spokne to many companies and people about it.

I just need to decide on the right cameras to go for and ill be set :)

the main reason for going ip is the much improved quality of traditional cctv systems.

any other main points to consider? what else is needed to know before i can make the right decision?

thanks!

If vulnerable camera location I'd agree.

Be down RA, I think 'we' have to balance a very high degree of expansion with Sd card used as individual device solid state backup, against if server being compromised by local power down nosey fingers, disk failure or simply down times for system maintenance needs.

With 1 TB of SD on the map, has to be considered IMHO just as stand alone use.

Arfur

Sorry, but you're throwing red herrings in to the mix. By you're argument traditional Storage methods are also vulnerable and so should also be avoided.

If the Server is down, SD storage is likely to be down also. PoE remember.

Archived