Security Installer Community

Snow @ Work

james.wilson

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no i was on a site a few weeks ago and someone was checking the external temp (building site) saying that 2 more degrees and they could have the day off.

It appears there is a minimum temp like offices etc (but obvioulsy a bit lower lol)

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

probably a company policy there is no minimum, it's all down to thermal comfort and other factors such as cold related stress. You must provide a warm area relevant PPE and allow more frequent breaks iirc

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Nice one James lol!

If the work has to be done up here then get yer thermals on!

If i told my customer it was to cold for the guys to work he would laugh in my face as half his workforce work in these conditions.

Just shows how easy it is daaaan saaaaaaf!

!

probably a company policy there is no minimum, it's all down to thermal comfort and other factors such as cold related stress. You must provide a warm area relevant PPE and allow more frequent breaks iirc

gotcha. It is a public sector build and a huge contractor so you could be right.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 3 months later...

Hi new to this forum, I bought the ideal work vehicle for snow, no need for 4 wheel drive, it is a Citroen Berlingo XTR + van, I can highly recommend it, Same body as normal van, but it is classed as an occasional off road vehicle. I got around East Lancashire in lots of snow and never missed an appointment, wasn't even late for any, didn't have to take any stock out of the van to get up hills etc, went like a dream. It has a limited slip differential fitted to front wheels so the wheels do not lock, it has a skid plate fitted underneath to prevent beaching it. It has firmer and higher suspension than standard van and it has larger wheels and tyres than the standard van with mud and snow tyres fitted. The same applies to any vehicle if on solid ice on a hill is still tricky, but I anticipated this and already had extra spare wheel and trolley jack in the back, fitted both spare wheels with snow chains so when needed instead of trying to put chains on just swapped to spare wheels, far easier. The big advantage is the van on normal roads in normal condition does nearly 40mpg fully loaded, far better than 4x4, and it is a normal van body so easy to load and unload, if changing your vehicle soon check this one out, be warned though I had to order mine 3 months in advance, if the salesperson is to be believed I am the only one in England that has one, although the post office has some in Scotland to get up snowy hills......

Archived