Security Installer Community

Paperwork In control Panels

arfur mo

TBH

We never realy need the laptop to access the stick while on RM visit. Next to the controls pinned to the wall is a double sided laminated sheet with a zone list on one side and a step by step guide on remote reset on the other. We use that for a walk test.

Only if we need more info or plans of the building or an as wired plan on a fire job we would have to ge the laptop out.

TBH

We never realy need the laptop to access the stick while on RM visit. Next to the controls pinned to the wall is a double sided laminated sheet with a zone list on one side and a step by step guide on remote reset on the other. We use that for a walk test.

Only if we need more info or plans of the building or an as wired plan on a fire job we would have to ge the laptop out.

hinged?

I had a inspection about 2 weeks ago by the NSI, I asked about paperwork in the panel and was told it had been a point of some debate for a while within the NSI and the current thinking was it was OK to put paperwork in the panel but to try not to put any paperwork near any sources of heat.

:'(

We still use lockable boxes for our paperwork with a CD-R of the full spec within the panel

r24977

My God It's Full of Stars

I suppose with newer panel not having heatsinks its less of an issue

imo depends more on the room available in the end panel and the amount of paper to be stored there,

the practice started way back as old panels were of an enormous case size in order to hold all the dry cell batteries. as they migrated over mains power they still had loads of room as sheer size impresses the punters of value.

the doc boxes solve many problems but they add a cost, and like the end panel not of an infinite size. the clients don't always like extra boxes in their cloak cupboards and the plastic sleeves suffer degradation and overloading, including other bits stuffed in like the washing machine warranty and cooker nstructions.

perhaps panel makers could include a document space within the casing if just to hold the engineers manual and spec, at least it would be secure - and keep the gas bills out of it ;)

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

perhaps panel makers could include a document space within the casing if just to hold the engineers manual and spec, at least it would be secure - and keep the gas bills out of it ;)

you dabbled with ade's id controls ?

I used to have the doc's stashed between the plaggy outer lid & the metal endstation,

ade-ultimate.jpg

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

you dabbled with ade's id controls ?

I used to have the doc's stashed between the plaggy outer lid & the metal endstation,

ade-ultimate.jpg

i claim to be one of the 1st enginers.firms to install one in the London Area if not nationally, i happened tobe in Surelife Security Supps, Stratford E15, when the tech rep bowelled in, ended up both he and i doing the demo it to Alan (the buyer).

i order 4 kits there and then :) and installed the 1st to my own home and the other 3 within 2 weeks.

worst thing about the panel was not the iD technology, but the freeking lid screws, always losing them in dark cupboards as the lid came off, that was until i had the bright idea to stuck some tape over the screw hole first, before unwinding the screws.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was informed by my SSAIB inspector that a log book in the panel is fine as long as it's in between the battery and the panel lid, ie clear of the PCB. I think this was more of a personal opinon than SSAIB policy. I can see the logic (ish).

Case number 1

I had a call from a previous customer who had refused to have a

maintenance done for at least 8 years.

Problems started during a power cut. The customer could not stop her alarm from sounding.

For some reason the Pyronix system had defaulted to manufacturer settings during power-down.

The problem here was the battery had died (possibly few years ago).

There was a big split in the side of the battery and all the paper-like stuff had blown out through

the split and landed on the paperwork that the installer had left in the panel causing the paperwork

to go brown and brittle.

It looked just like cold black tea had been poured all over it and crumbled away when touched.

What ever print was on the paper had been destroyed by the battery acid.

A horrible mess in the panel remained but after a good clean up, a new battery ans several

power supply tests the system was up and running again.

The only victim of the exploding battery was the paperwork.

Case number 2.

Last year i was called out to a faulty alarm system that was only inatalled around 6 months ago.

Inside the control panel I found a dead MOUSE!

Before it's untimely death it had chewed through some of the 6 core cables.

If there was paperwork stored inside that panel i'm sure Mr. Danger Mouse

would of eaten that too! hahaha.

Ian.

Banjax, (Formerly Keiko.)

Archived