Security Installer Community

Radio

IAS

i just remembered,

that house with the falling bell that nearly crowned me as it happens.

early last year, and changing out the affected detector with no solution, after scratching my chin really really hard, i eventually traced an intermittent 'lost device' issue to their cheapo radio door chime.

there was no obvious indications and the chime still worked fine, but i hit on the theory if the transmitters battery was low, perhaps it was causing spurious radio jamming type interference.

replaced the battery, and end of the problems. so as above sometimes with inspired observations you don't always need any sort of meter to resolve a problem.

it also occurs, this might happen with radio button garage openers, so imo well worth being aware of and asking the relevant questions to see if there is any likely correlations.

i also wonder if that might be the cause of that radio device multi failure in earlier post? just a thought.

regs

Arfur Mo

I would normally say

'lol'

but i know your serious

very true, and i should have said "you may lay at my feet in Holy Adoration" :P !

regs

Arfur Mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

so were all agreed?

you don`t get wireless faults .............. other than all the faults you`re getting with wireless.

pound for pound wireless has cost us more in return visits, time and spares than anything else we do.

so were all agreed?

you don`t get wireless faults .............. other than all the faults you`re getting with wireless.

pound for pound wireless has cost us more in return visits, time and spares than anything else we do.

lol

Yes and No

IMO when we use wireless (and we use now than we used to) it is with reservation. I think brand is a big reason for that. Like i said we use the domonial wireless without issues, thats not to say there never will be any there will. But I have got options with that radio, ie more receivers. Even Visonic make a repeater unit to increase range if you have issues.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

perhaps it would be an idea to list the kit your using, and the issue's you have had. your then going to benefit from more accurately targeted advice and comments. at the moment its like doing a take over on someone else's troublesome system.

i would argue radio can never be as reliable as a wired system, but then tbh, i also believe many faults are down to the resistant attitude of the install engineer, if you have no confidence then you have no trust and thats in any kit. if a roblem occurs, you will be biased to blame the 'c##p radio device', and perhaps overlook the real causes and i'm ot having a pop at you.

like with the iD systems, they cause very divided opinions in here. personally i love it but then i appreciate how absolutely vital it is to make very meticulous sound connections, the slightest intermittent or short can cause all sorts of issues, but it seems to me rarely appreciated. i'm not claiming to be a genius, i have one head yes i counted) 5 digits in each hand, and sometimes i'm called a clever dick when wearing my shorts :whistle: , but if i can make it work why not others?

many will slag off the technology first in frustration, i argue in most cases it is really down to oversights or poor installation techniques employed, and i'm not knocking anyone - the devils really is in the detail on that kit.

so i look at it like this, with the Agility and Wisdom panels that i use, and also the hi-brid add on receivers, i can fully pre-program a system and test it on the workbench before going to site, so installation is very swift.

this way also follows how i was taught to do any installation, where you tested the panel as the very first thing, if ok the parts list was complete, then if duff or missing your firm had time to react, no good finding out last thing in the day it won't work, you would be late home and got a bollocking to boot.

i can also ensure using my own experience so not relying on the engineers application, all the stupid faults like dodgy battery clips are tight, batteries are good, lid contacts properly adjusted and so on, all are eliminated early on, i.e. most of the stuff you would normally do once its up on the wall near the end of the job.

now lets turn to conventionally wired, you can't always get the detector where it would be best placed due to decore or structure, modern laminated floors remove many of the traditional hiding places we used to use. the use of mdf for flooring makes it harder to run cables out of harms way, under the boards and the buildings disturbance is very high.

but lets assume we have now installed all nice and proper, over time cable is often damaged during decorations, rodents, hot water pipes where cables get moved by builders, carpet fitters, builders cutting walls etc. to diagnose and find the fault, especially with concealed slightly damaged cables, can take skills not many very good installation only engineers have, you spend time on measuring cables, visually looking along it for damage, guessing if there is rodent or damage problem or was it client error?

ok you can charge if you do find damage, but all service calls are toxic in accounting terms. in reality you never recoup the cost of the lost time at a price near where it really pays you to do it, but obviously a necessary evil. you might charge £100.00 for a 2 hour call but you know you could have earned perhaps £800 for that day, but instead you had to be there for 10:s0 am after the school run, hey are going on holiday so have to be before 3pm, and now have to split the intended job over 2 days not one.

so there is imo a good case fr both techs

regs

Arfur Mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Even Visonic make a repeater unit to increase range if you have issues.

too many times now when we`re called out the background RRSI is off the scale and thats out of our control.

I have 300mtrs of armoured 10core cable spare if anyone wants their shed doing?

The new Texecom Ricochet seems to be a good idea , bit expensive but if it works as well as they say it does its worth it. Ive just quoted to replace an old DA Abacus wireless system thats getting a bit sqiffy

Archived