Security Installer Community

Suggestions For Tsi

Just a brief topic to update us on what you all expect from TSI.

So what are we doing wrong, what could we be doing better and heaven forbid are we doing anything right.

Public post but id like to hear your comments. whatever they may be.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest RJBsec

On the positive side:-

• 1. Good source of information.
    2. Good source of business contact from other areas of the UK.
    3. Contact with the public which can be valuable to the installers but certainly helps visitors.
    4. Opportunity to represent the 'face of the industry' to visitors.

On the negative side:-

• 1. IMO the public side needs more care in subjects that are allowed to continue to be discussed - defaulting, bypassing, 'interfering with' or risking the integrity of ANY system should never be allowed to continue unmoderated.
    2. IMO the public side should be kept 'cleaner' than it is, some of the comments made/arguments/language etc that occurs does nothing to enhance our industry, it is often an embarrasment to be associated with the site.
    3. I think it could be summarised by saying we need more moderation on the public forums bearing in mind the exposure the site has across the Internet.
    4. Few manufacturers continue to 'support' the site and comment on it, could the unprofessional image, (the above points), be at least some reason for that?

Agree with the above.

Also, any thoughts of relaxing the trade section to include people who are not in the security trade, but who have a great interest in the various aspects the sites cover, have been on the forum for a long time, have a high post count and demonstrated knowledge/interest in the subject over a long period?

As anyone who is not working for the trade wont be able to get in, they are missing out on whatever is in that side (mainly the ability to be able to discuss topics in more depth, that cannot be done in public, or rather should not be done in public).

As at present the main qualification seems to be your working for or own a security company, yet If a criminal wanted to get access they could spend less than a hundred, set up a company off the shelf and bingo - their in....

Perhaps as an aside from the above post the forum could more pro-actively seek to encourage manufacturers involvement in the site.

Maybe a simple email to ask them if they have any technical or sales staff who would be willing to answer queries if they arise? Maybe even set an account up for them to pass to an authorised contact if they wish to proceed? (You have to make it as easy as possible to say yes).

'J

btn_myprofile_160x33.png

Perhaps as an aside from the above post the forum could more pro-actively seek to encourage manufacturers involvement in the site.

Maybe a simple email to ask them if they have any technical or sales staff who would be willing to answer queries if they arise? Maybe even set an account up for them to pass to an authorised contact if they wish to proceed? (You have to make it as easy as possible to say yes).

'J

That brings with it certain issues regarding validity of advice and any potential liability thereafter.

Some within Manufacturing have/do try to participate but, and this is a particular hobby horse of mine, they are not allowed into the very forums where any particular detail may be posted.

Also, from a manufacturing perspective, any pertinent issues should be getting raised with them when they occur, as in, at work. Many do make information readily available it's just that people don't seem to be bothered to access it or read it.

Agree with the above.

Also, any thoughts of relaxing the trade section to include people who are not in the security trade, but who have a great interest in the various aspects the sites cover, have been on the forum for a long time, have a high post count and demonstrated knowledge/interest in the subject over a long period?

As anyone who is not working for the trade wont be able to get in, they are missing out on whatever is in that side (mainly the ability to be able to discuss topics in more depth, that cannot be done in public, or rather should not be done in public).

As at present the main qualification seems to be your working for or own a security company, yet If a criminal wanted to get access they could spend less than a hundred, set up a company off the shelf and bingo - their in....

I agree with the above, I no longer work in the industry (well I do the odd bit of contracting) so it would be difficult for me to gain trade membership and also, as we all know, even with a good knowledge of alarms it is difficult to defeat a well designed system so I feel it could be relaxed to some extent.

Trade is trade.

There is ample opportunity to discuss alarm circuitry, Etc. in the public area. The discussions in the trade area go into greater depth & detail and without fear of compromising anyone's security because the discussion is between professionals working within the industry.

Relaxing the rules on illegibility to the trade area would defeat the whole idea of having a trade only area. .... It's got to be trade only or not at all.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Guest old-hand
Trade is trade.

There is ample opportunity to discuss alarm circuitry, Etc. in the public area. The discussions in the trade area go into greater depth & detail and without fear of compromising anyone's security because the discussion is between professionals working within the industry.

Relaxing the rules on illegibility to the trade area would defeat the whole idea of having a trade only area. .... It's got to be trade only or not at all.

QFA

Guest RJBsec
Also, from a manufacturing perspective, any pertinent issues should be getting raised with them when they occur, as in, at work. Many do make information readily available it's just that people don't seem to be bothered to access it or read it.

Unfortunately Andrew, many installers have consistently found that when they report problems the response is "we haven't heard that before" - on a site like this it's more difficult to pull that one if a number of installers all confirm the problem.

However I think a manufacturer's presence would benefit in many areas not just 'complaints', advice of new products/ideas, reporting wish-lists etc.

Unfortunately Andrew, many installers have consistently found that when they report problems the response is "we haven't heard that before" - on a site like this it's more difficult to pull that one if a number of installers all confirm the problem.

However I think a manufacturer's presence would benefit in many areas not just 'complaints', advice of new products/ideas, reporting wish-lists etc.

Hang on, what manufacturer with problem kit would want to be on the forum trying to 'help' sort out problems?

It would be a terrible advert to have problems listed out on a internet forum?

It's a lose lose for them in many ways.

I think that's why they stay away....

A certain fire alarm manufacturer would get totally slated if they dared show up on here!

Hats off to the one's that do show up on here then...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived