Security Installer Community

Suggestions For Tsi

Not trying to be argumentative, but how many times you been fobbed off with stupid answers from "tech" when you know there is a fault, have seen this fault before and others have mentioned it.

Yet the standard reply is " Wow your the first one to mention this"

I have had one manufacturer change their manual wording and programming from this "Discovery" of a error/fault.

Paul

Made my views known on that point.

Management and R&D certainly knew if i got to hear that stock response was been put out.

...... but back on topic......

I think there are too many areas .... all very confusing for a new member. IMO a slimmed down site would be better.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

lets leave the trade access for now on this thread. If it needs discussing (maybe it does) then please start a new topic for that.

just for the record my thoughts on it.

Trade is just that. ie for people currently in the trade. While every effort is taken to ensure that, yes it is possible that someone could chnage jobs and we would not be aware of it. However when we are, we do remove trade access. Im not sure i like the idea of non trade access to trade. NOt because the 2 people that have noted it here would not be good additions as i feel they would, but how would we control such access. ie trade at some point trade? minefield imo and unrunable.

re manufacturers.

Its my opinion that if manufacturers wanted to be involved they would. While i do see that the few that do get some unfair critism, i do not feel this is a means to justify censorship and protectionism. The forum is open to all, no-one is protected and posts are not modified to provide a nicer view of a product or person. I really dont want to go down that road however honourable the end goal is.

Maybe we should setup an area for manufacturers where we are not allowed to discuss problems or faults or complaints and just list good points? ;)

ive always felt that reviews or comments need to show both sides else the revies may as well be an advertisment, or product glossy. I also feel that a company shows its worth when dealing with problems. Granted problems should never exist and in a utopian world they wouldnt. In mine however they do, and i deal with companies that admit problems and handle them well, not pretend they dont exist and try and make the rest of the world believe they dont exist by denying them. The truth will out as they say.

I also agree with the comments re the professionalism of the public side. However while more posts are edited and removed form this side i do feel we have made great strides in this area. I would be happy to hear of examplles and further suggestions in this area. But id like to stay away from censorship as such, also any rule for posting in public needs to be simple to understand and enforce so as to keep all responses similar.

I also agree on the layot of the site, re the number of areas. We have slimmed it down slightly and i think we need to look at this again in the near future. There is an upgrade to the site software coming in the next few months. Maybe we can plan the 2 together. I think the slimming down of the areas needs to be well planned though and im not looking to ruch into that.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest RJBsec
I also agree with the comments re the professionalism of the public side. However while more posts are edited and removed form this side i do feel we have made great strides in this area. I would be happy to hear of examplles and further suggestions in this area. But id like to stay away from censorship as such, also any rule for posting in public needs to be simple to understand and enforce so as to keep all responses similar.

The rules to provide a 'professional' public side already exist - from the existing forum rules:-

Please bear in mind that the public sections of our Forum is viewable by Visitors of any age.

1: Polite Posts

- No amount of offensive language

- No posting of adult content

- No questionable jokes

- No posting links to pages that contain any of the aforementioned qualities

12: Other unacceptable behaviour:

DO NOT deliberately start arguments. Debates are great, as long as they remain respectful!

DO NOT just make a negative statement and leave the person hanging out to dry. Although you may consider yourself to be an "expert" now, try to remember that we were all new and learning once upon a time. Take it easy on your fellow members!

Do NOT make threats or implied threats towards other members.

Do NOT post security control equipment defaulting information. Your post will be removed.

Do NOT post comments questioning the community rules, or regarding the way in which this site is moderated. If you have a query ask a moderator or admin.

There's no point in ruining a good debate by accidentally (or intentionally) offending someone with a personal comment.

The Security Installer believes in integrity and respects what other forums have to offer. Because we realize members of The Security Installer may also be members of other forums, do not try to degrade or discredit other forums, their administrators and moderators, or their members. This includes slander and other offensive comments.

Following and enforcing the spirit of these rules will surely make for a better public 'image'.

I agree regards slimming down the number of forums.

How many forums get 1 post a month or less on average if any? How many forums 'could' be considered to be covered by another forum?

People are lazy, they would rather have a simple choice than scroll through to find the correct option.

'J

btn_myprofile_160x33.png

I guess alot depends on why we (all members join).

Hard for a rep or manufacturer to avoid selling/defending/retaliating.

Hard for eng with no/little work not to punt for same.

Hard for all pro's to give objective impartial advice & avoid all liability.

Hard for GP to make sense of posts not relevant - (as in why/what).

Its been a good source of info for me as service provider to end user. In return I give what I know, & know wont compromise anyone/system.

I think of tsi as an interactive magazine, agony aunt, new products, reminicing etc.

Dont see why certain retired members cant be upgraded if crb & refs check done.

I think an objective look as to why some of the core members are no longer here would be a good idea (being a second time member Ive noticed certain members no longer being here)

Cutting the rooms down would be good also.

Guest old-hand
I think an objective look as to why some of the core members are no longer here would be a good idea (being a second time member Ive noticed certain members no longer being here)

Cutting the rooms down would be good also.

We know why some "core" members are no longer here.

Second time here myself without "moderator" status either. Looking about there is no need for any real moderating now that "certain core members" have left.

Perhaps some rooms could be reduced, however it is easy to navigate if you know what your looking for.

• 2 months later...
On the negative side:-

• 1. IMO the public side needs more care in subjects that are allowed to continue to be discussed - defaulting, bypassing, 'interfering with' or risking the integrity of ANY system should never be allowed to continue unmoderated.
    2. IMO the public side should be kept 'cleaner' than it is, some of the comments made/arguments/language etc that occurs does nothing to enhance our industry, it is often an embarrasment to be associated with the site.3. I think it could be summarised by saying we need more moderation on the public forums bearing in mind the exposure the site has across the Internet.
    4. Few manufacturers continue to 'support' the site and comment on it, could the unprofessional image, (the above points), be at least some reason for that?

Yes, a competitor (ex-colleague) mentioned the site today, I asked 'did you join?' the reply was 'no way have you seen the amount of bitching that goes on?'

lol but seriously its not a good impression, I mod on another forum and this type of behaviour is nipped in the bud.

Archived