Security Installer Community

Diy Regulations / Standards

magpye

hi Angus,

3, par (a) sorts it it out imo, alarms are not considered in the same way as you believe.

most of that 'notice' obviously refers to high power electrics

on the CORGi subject, you can install all the heating pipe work and fittings, even the boiler and water pipes to it, so other than the actual gas feed and final connection, that has to be done by a GORGI registered company, who crazily can cover a non corgi engineer under their registration - in the words of my heating service engineer can't repeat it

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
hi Angus,

3, par (a) sorts it it out imo, alarms are not considered in the same way as you believe.

yes now go read it again - that is a list of exemptions from notifiying I posted - NOT A LIST OF EXEMPTIONS FROM REGULATION

most of that 'notice' obviously refers to high power electrics

hi power ? you mean 11kv and above ? thats dealt with by a different set of rules - you cannot escape the requirment set out on page 30 to " do it safely ........ "

on the CORGi subject, you can install all the heating pipe work and fittings, even the boiler and water pipes to it, so other than the actual gas feed and final connection, that has to be done by a GORGI registered company, who crazily can cover a non corgi engineer under their registration - in the words of my heating service engineer can't repeat it

I`m still researching this - its my belief you can self certify a gas install via building control, but at least if I`m shown to be wrong I will admit it with good grace

regs

alan

Actually it didn't, its just that anguscantplay has highjacked the question to pontificate on Part P.

So that makes it ok to ignore anything electrical and working safely then eh?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

So that makes it ok to ignore anything electrical and working safely then eh?

No it doesn't, nobody is suggesting that, just answering the original question - DIY alarm installers do not have to install to EN/PD/BS the question has nothing to do with electrical safety and specifically stated that it wasn't about "electrical".

No it doesn't, nobody is suggesting that, just answering the original question - DIY alarm installers do not have to install to EN/PD/BS the question has nothing to do with electrical safety and specifically stated that it wasn't about "electrical".

It's good to know that there is someone out there who can read and understand the English language.

I'm not surprised that there has been only one comment on post #15, can't understand what the B.S.I.A. says?

Perhaps that's why all this has gone away from the original question.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Guest anguscanplay

what is it then - clockwork?

do you have to install to BS? - the answer is yes

why do you have to install to BS? - the answer is to comply with Part P of the building regs

is it a legal requirment? - yes the building regs are statutary

so which part of that do you two have so much trouble over?

Tops - you`ve proved you dont understand that which is known as Part P and with Magpye it looks as if neither of you actually understand what is contained within EN/BS6662 either,

You (and Andy) can look for a "magic" sentence with the words " though shalt not......" it doesnt exist, you need to PUT TOGETHER the published regs, guidlines and amendments to arrive at the correct legal position, thats how legislation works in this country, rules are implied and inferred, the worry I have is in believing that with your lack of understanding, do either of you comply in your own day to day activities or are you choosing to ignore them there too?

be careful of advising DIY`ers the rules don`t apply - your wrong

do you have to install to BS? - the answer is yes

The answer is no - a DIYer does not have to comply with any BS/EN or PD written for alarm system installations.

BS 4737 EN 50131 and PD 6662 are not statutory documents for the public in general, they are requirements for reputable professional alarm installers who charge for their services and claim to install to those standards, they are policed primarily by the Inspectorates but could involve Trading Standards Laws if false claims are made.

Equally an non-inspected alarm installer can install a system for payment and if he confirms that his system does not comply with BS 4737 EN 50131 and PD 6662 and as long as his customer understands that and is not misled there is no necessity to install to those standards.

This has nothing to do with the safety of mains electricity which should be paramount at all times.

Guest anguscanplay
The answer is no - a DIYer does not have to comply with any BS/EN or PD written for alarm system installations.

BS 4737 EN 50131 and PD 6662 are not statutory documents for the public in general, they are requirements for reputable professional alarm installers who charge for their services and claim to install to those standards, they are policed primarily by the Inspectorates but could involve Trading Standards Laws if false claims are made.

nope thats just not right - the inspecterate have there own codes of practise EN/BS is THE STANDARD for an alarm installation irrespective of who is fitting it

Equally an non-inspected alarm installer can install a system for payment and if he confirms that his system does not comply with BS 4737 EN 50131 and PD 6662 and as long as his customer understands that and is not misled there is no necessity to install to those standards.

you dont know trading standards law either then?

This has nothing to do with the safety of mains electricity which should be paramount at all times.

it has everything to do with mains electricity, its how you prove your install is safe - by showing compliance with the published regs for that elemant which in this case is EN/PD

Archived