Security Installer Community

Diy Regulations / Standards

magpye

you just dont understand Part P do you ? I aint goint to explain it again in detail just this - its nothing to do with NOTIFYING it deals with the safety of an electrical installation and it applies to ALL electrical installations in a dwelling NOT JUST THE BITS YOU HAVE TO NOTIFY

QFA

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Guest anguscanplay

just for you tops

A person who intends to carry out building work is not required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists only of work

All very impressive but still nothing to do with DIYers having to comply with EN/PD/BS - again, they don't.

The original post referred to ANY BS/EN regs, not just those known to be alarm specific.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Guest anguscanplay
Now I'm pretty sure you're wrong there, it's a legal requirement to be Corgi registered (or something similar).

I think it's in the 1998 Gas Installation and Use Regulations.

buy a copy for the site ? I was lead to believe its the same as - if you can prove competance and get it signed off by the BCO its okay not to be CORGI / ACOPS

buy a copy for the site ? I was lead to believe its the same as - if you can prove competance and get it signed off by the BCO its okay not to be CORGI / ACOPS

Have a read here: http://www.miketheboilerman.com/diy.htm if you're interested. Many other similar places to be found.

It certainly appears to be a criminal offence to do it for gain without certification (the actual wording is a "member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive")

Whatever the real position the message seems to have got out to (most of) the general public that it's illegal to do your own gas work and that you MUST employ someone who is Corgi-registered. Probably no bad thing.

PS What's ACOPS?

The original post referred to ANY BS/EN regs, not just those known to be alarm specific.

Actually it didn't, its just that anguscantplay has highjacked the question to pontificate on Part P.

To clarify, I mean alarm system regulations, ( PD:****, EN:**** etc ) NOT electrical or noise pollution

and for angus

Changes to legislation in recent years means that by law only a CORGI (Council for Registered Gas Installers) registered installer can carry out work on a gas appliance. This applies to all of your domestic gas appliances. Installing or carrying out maintenance on gas appliances yourself is therefore illegal and could be dangerous.

Guest anguscanplay
Actually it didn't, its just that anguscantplay has highjacked the question to pontificate on Part P.

nah mate - you asked a question, wont listen to the answer and bury your head back in the sand

ps the "need to pass their work off as DIY to get round the requirments......" WAS aimed at you, for an alleged trade member your mightly concerned to prove theres no rules and regs

Archived