Security Installer Community

Diy Regulations / Standards

magpye

From NICEIC website:-

From the SSAIB website:-

Notice Re: Part P

Basically, don't fit panels in kitchens, bathrooms or jacuzzis and don't add a ring main while you're there.

or airing cupboards ;lol:

thanks topalarms,

so i wonder if we were not to clip the cables down, stand the pirs on convenient furniture, wedge the bell in an open window and leave the controls on the floor - no problems then :P

at great risk of being accused of splitting hairs everything is in the interpretation when it comes to regs or laws, or lawyers would go bust tomorrow :rolleyes: .

so here go's nothing - the words used are 'electrical installation' where as it be can be argued (imo), 'we' fit an electronic installation' using electrical style connections to pass electronic signals'.

i think the regulations were designed without security and telephony in mind, but to 'catch' as said before systems traditionally powered by 240 volts. new technology allows comparable performance and greater ease at far lower and safer voltages.

without these regs in place any joe soap could fit items like dozens of sets of those halogen lights off a 6amp without considering proper design and be home 'free', but i think incorrectly angus is applying them to 'our' trade.

at wost we may be technically breaching regs, but i'd personally doubt anyone would be ever 'pulled' for it.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Part P only applies to low voltage or extra low voltage, (LV or ELV) so ensure that the installation only involves a fused spur not in a 'special location' and choose a panel that has safety extra low voltage, (SELV) circuits like the new Menvier or Scantronic kit and Bob's your uncle.

Guest anguscanplay
So, in summary, despite Angus' best efforts to try and find a reason why various standards that apply to Professional alarm installers should also apply to us DIY-ers, they just don't.

That's not to say they wouldn't help us do the job better and comply to other things (already mentioned) that we must do, but they aren't mandatory.

:closed:

(takes me back to the Part P debate a while back - I've still got a full copy of Part P in PDF format on my desktop!) :D

Andy - explain how you came to that conclusion ?

Guest anguscanplay
Part P only applies to low voltage or extra low voltage, (LV or ELV) so ensure that the installation only involves a fused spur not in a 'special location' and choose a panel that has safety extra low voltage, (SELV) circuits like the new Menvier or Scantronic kit and Bob's your uncle.

two things

one - there is no such thing as safety extra low voltage, its SEPERATED and Part P still applies

two - you`ve totally misunderstood the requirments of Part P of the building regs - same problem Arfur has had so this is for you both

Part P is the standard for electrical installation in dwellings (nothing to do with the tax man`s classification of our trade) and can be summed up simply as " all work MUST be safe....!" within this is the need to prove your work is safe by showing conformance to reccomended working practises. in the case of an alarm EN/PD662 or in the case of a hot tub BS7671, there is no restriction on who does the work as long as it complies and can be proven to be safe

Now the bit that confuse`s everybody

Certain "jobs" have an exemption from the requirment for the work to be inspected and tested by the BCO, thats all it is - an exemption from testing and veryfying by a third party, not an exemption from having to comply with Part P

it really is that simple Andy etc - you need to show you have done the job safely - that is why a DIY`er needs to comply

without these regs in place any joe soap could fit items like dozens of sets of those halogen lights off a 6amp without considering proper design and be home 'free', but i think incorrectly angus is applying them to 'our' trade.

at wost we may be technically breaching regs, but i'd personally doubt anyone would be ever 'pulled' for it.

regs

alan

Why is he incorrect Arfur?

They apply to 'all'. They do not allow for anyone to decide they don't apply because they didn't think they meant our industry/products.

I agree with the sentiment though.

However, just because we use 12V, does not necessarily mean the install is safe though does it.?

Who's to say the PSU on this theoretical DIY tat is safe? Unlikely, but possible, the PSU (no CE/UL etc approval) fails in a manner that introduces mains voltage on the 12v line?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Archived