Security Installer Community

Diy Regulations / Standards

magpye

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can give me a simple answer, I can't find it anywhere.

Could you tell me,does a DIY alarm system in any way fall under the control of any of the British or European standards?

When I say DIY I mean just that, a kit bought from a high street shop and installed by any man in the street, not an alarm installer.

To clarify, I mean alarm system regulations, ( PD:****, EN:**** etc ) NOT electrical or noise pollution

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

A company (be it sole trader or plc) is bound by the trade descriptions act and sale of goods act to (should the need arise) prove their goods and services are fit for purpose and their competance in the event of an injury or loss. They can do this by having a recognised qualification and following a laid down BS and/or EN standard coupled with (optionally and additionally) 3rd party accrediation & suitable experiance.

A DIY'er is not.

However should a DIY'er muck up and cause injury or damage they may find it very hard to find a suitable defence for their actions as ignorance is no defence in law (eh Gus ;) )

C.

:)

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can give me a simple answer, I can't find it anywhere.

Could you tell me,does a DIY alarm system in any way fall under the control of any of the British or European standards?

When I say DIY I mean just that, a kit bought from a high street shop and installed by any man in the street, not an alarm installer.

To clarify, I mean alarm system regulations, ( PD:****, EN:**** etc ) NOT electrical or noise pollution

Is this following on from the "debate" in another thread?

Having lurked around here for some time and read (and surprisingly understood) a lot, I personally believe not, apart from any standards that the manufacturer/seller must follow.

Every time it's been raised opinions are given but no evidence is ever produced. :rolleyes:

Guest anguscanplay

simply put - is it connected to the mains ?

then yes - it needs to comply with the requirment to " make reasonable provision for safety...." thats contained in the requirments for compliance with Part P of the building regs, the standard way to achieve this is to follow BS7671 (16th edition regs) for the 240v elemants and PD6662 for the " signal and control ......" equipment

BS7671 / PD662 are non statutary and the O/P could show he complied by following another pemited code (listed in the regs themselves)

however the building regs are law and non compliance with them IS a criminal offence.

Part P of course only applies to domestic property so diy in a lock-up/shop etc would not come under Part P, also with any equipment compliance with an installation standard is generally only there when properly installed, so literature often states something to the effect of 'compliant when installed to xxxx' or 'when part of a xxxx installation'.

there has been much discussion, mainly between Angus and I about this aspect, stalled a bit while angus's researchers get their act together ;)

alarms or engineers are not controlled or obliged by legal requirement to conform to any regulating body like CORGI is for gas, you or a diy'er will not be prosecuted simply for fitting your own control unit and wiring to a provided mains outlet.

the spur should be provided by a qualified sparks and certifiedfor safety if nothing else. the competence of such wiring from the equipment to the spur could be called into question, and if found wanting the diy'er could imo be prosecuted if another person like a plummer gets hurt or if they subsequently move out, and new owners/tenants take over and get hurt or killed as a result of poor practice, but that i'd say would be fairly unlikely situation to happen, and we could launch into if the sparks trips over your bell cable in the loft, gets whiplash or kills himself falling into the water tank - but we won't -yet!

there are standards laid down and anyone with sense should follow them best they can, because they are generally the best way to approach the job. as with any such standards, often some interpretation has to be used (and often misinterpretation is used) so as to apply them properly for a given part of the job in hand.

you are already aware of the legally enforceable noise pollution and electrical safety issues which have to be complied with, i'd also add if the diy installer connected a voice dialer to a bt line he/she must also comply with their regs, although unlikely ever to be prosecuted unless he/she manages to stuff 240 mains down the line towards the exchange - and i've seen it done folks :P .

regs

alan

we will all now await Angus to tell me i'm totally wrong - but not why ;) (some things in this world are totally predictable - like No9 buses always arrive in 3's :rolleyes:)

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
there has been much discussion, mainly between Angus and I about this aspect, stalled a bit while angus's researchers get their act together ;)

we will all now await Angus to tell me i'm totally wrong - but not why ;) (some things in this world are totally predictable - like No9 buses always arrive in 3's :rolleyes:)

LOL - I told you why above (follow the link) people fail to grasp that the rules are written in several places and "pulled.." together under health and safety legislation

simple example

how many diy`ers have fitted there 490x in the airing cupboard, or next to the boiler in the pantry WITHOUT checking the bonding ? (bet you its everyone of them.......!!)

how many diy`ers have fitted there 490x in the airing cupboard, or next to the boiler in the pantry WITHOUT checking the bonding ? (bet you its everyone of them.......!!)

Sorry, not me. :ninja:

And Angus, I think you forgot to read the initial question thoroughly before launching into full flow :lol: , it was quite explicit about what area was being queried and it was NOT electrical (or noise regulations).

"To clarify, I mean alarm system regulations, ( PD:****, EN:**** etc ) NOT electrical or noise pollution"

Sorry, not me. :ninja:

And Angus, I think you forgot to read the initial question thoroughly before launching into full flow :lol: , it was quite explicit about what area was being queried and it was NOT electrical (or noise regulations).

"To clarify, I mean alarm system regulations, ( PD:****, EN:**** etc ) NOT electrical or noise pollution"

your right of course, but we have to use an example to demonstrate the explanation that some things legislation cover others things it don't in relation to diy.

regs

alan

(and anyway, i just could not resist setting angus off - well he started it :lol:)

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived