Security Installer Community

Laptops For Engineers

Pav

Guest Sparky169
thats breff is a dam fine idea. But if the lads replace them its rarly the same thing that got nicked/broken.

With all our tools i take the tack if it wears out or it gets 'accidently' broken ill replace it. If it gets nicked i wont. But last one that got nicked wasnt out of the van, he left it downlaoding a panel and went outside for a fag. Thought the site was safe. It wasnt

Agree wth the commisioning of access cant see how you could without one, same with fire. But intruder as a rule its rarly used. I have one and dont use it as much as i could, as i gotta get it out the bag, rember to have charged it, plug it in elc etc. Im obviusly just far too lazy

wheres that damm cctv system when you need it most :lol:

on a serious note though did the engineer in question have the kay to the room as if he did id have expected him to lock the door.

Guest anguscanplay

i bought this very laptop in using right now to commision panels - intruder - and its never left the office

hi guys,

would this thread be more comfortable in trade sections?

no problems, but a lot of trade guys don't look in the public area' so won't be commenting

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

it would, but the OP wouldnt be able to see the replies

ok camerbloke, just the conversations getting a bit more 'techy' and operations related.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Are R8's UDL ?

Unfortunately, you have to buy the R8+ if you want UDL Norman :rolleyes:

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

That's interesting Nikko, would you mind telling me what equipment/software you use. Could be useful for telemetry, etc.

I've had my own laptop for work for about 4-5 years now, I do think in this day and age they should be supplied by the company though, programming some panels now takes so long from the keypad and its too easy to miss something, with the lappy its 5 mins to program a 30 zone panel(with text)

Hi Breff

The routine test I use is to connect the 232 port to the RS485 via a 232/485 converter. Ideally I fit the same at the other end. Then, send a text file over the data, (The Quick Brown Fox type of thing) using hyperterminal. Any reflections or discrepencies will appear as corruption on the file received back. I then keep eliminating different pieces of kit until the problem disappears.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

Thanks Nikko, so you need 2 laptops, or do you 'borrow' 1 of the clients PC's.

IIRC if you link pin 2 and 3 on the 232 side it will reflect what you type back to you.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Thanks Nikko, so you need 2 laptops, or do you 'borrow' 1 of the clients PC's.

IIRC if you link pin 2 and 3 on the 232 side it will reflect what you type back to you.

Indeed it does

Archived