Security Installer Community

Laptops For Engineers

Pav

So basically I just need 2 rs232 to 485 convertors, connect 1 at each end, plug 1 into serial port on laptop and link pin 2 and 3 on the far end, start typing in hyperterminal, everything duplicated=okey dokey.

Is there any way to actually 'see' the rs485 data though?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

So basically I just need 2 rs232 to 485 convertors, connect 1 at each end, plug 1 into serial port on laptop and link pin 2 and 3 on the far end, start typing in hyperterminal, everything duplicated=okey dokey.

RS485 is very simple - look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rs485

The simplest way to "see" the data will depend on what it is; what you've described would be good for a stream of bytes. :rolleyes:

Guest anguscanplay
RS485 is very simple - look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rs485

The simplest way to "see" the data will depend on what it is; what you've described would be good for a stream of bytes. :rolleyes:

yeah right me i think wiring a bellbox is very simple

it gave me headache just readingthe title lol

• 2 months later...

To see a visual representation of RS485 you need a scope. You will then be able to see the (typical) 5 volt square waveform.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

To see a visual representation of RS485 you need a scope. You will then be able to see the (typical) 5 volt square waveform.

Funny, been told by many engineers that they can do this with a multimeter!

Ilkie

Funny, been told by many engineers that they can do this with a multimeter!

Ilkie

No mate, you can read 5volts buts thats yer lot. If you need to see data you need a scope.

I went up into the attic...I found a Stradavarius & a Picasso. Unfortunately.....

Stradavarius couldn't paint, and Picasso made a shocking fiddle.

My Facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1279556853&ref=name

• 1 month later...
well my 2p our engineers dont have them. It would be another thing that got broken or nicked. The 2 senior engineers have them and we have replaced 1 3 times and the other once in the last 2 years

Question how do you program an adpro fasttrace, routers for cctv,certain access systems (when the pc is in another building in another city) and micky dome's protocall without one. You cant is the answer. P.s you dont neen an all singing and dancing one just a mid range one. plus there classed as tools so get writen of from the company's tax bill. All my engineers have them they have all site details on them which we update between us so if a site crashes any engineer can go and upload the system in a matter of minuites instead of days. They pay for them selves, Also buy lockable racking systems for vans/cars so they dont get broken.

TVX systems what a good idea by the time the picture had downloaded the intruder would have been long gone.
SFE.Solutions security systems

Guest anguscanplay
Question how do you program an adpro fasttrace, routers for cctv,certain access systems (when the pc is in another building in another city) and micky dome's protocall without one. You cant is the answer. P.s you dont neen an all singing and dancing one just a mid range one. plus there classed as tools so get writen of from the company's tax bill. All my engineers have them they have all site details on them which we update between us so if a site crashes any engineer can go and upload the system in a matter of minuites instead of days. They pay for them selves, Also buy lockable racking systems for vans/cars so they dont get broken.

hi chalky

you carry all your site details on a laptop - scary

Angus ( ps welcome to the forum )

hi chalky

you carry all your site details on a laptop - scary

Angus ( ps welcome to the forum )

Programing details only and you need user names/passwords to access programs to run them.(no alarm stuff access and cctv).

TVX systems what a good idea by the time the picture had downloaded the intruder would have been long gone.
SFE.Solutions security systems

Archived