Security Installer Community

Laptops For Engineers

Pav

Would a Laptop make an engineers life easier and save the company money or is just boys & toys?

it would depend heavily on the engineers understanding of one, and how often he would use it and what for. in the bigger firms i would think commisioning engineers, charge hands and perhaps a supervisor, so system backups or restores can be effected quickely, they should also be responsible enough to look after it.

you might float the way Shield Protection encouraged enginers to have good tools and look after them, if i bought some decent kit and i paid a 1/3 of the cost before vat, when i left the kit was mine, so not only had it cost you a few quid, you got your tools at a bargain price which meant even the neanderthol doughnuts looked after theirs.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

ive got one and it i cant do without it. its not a toy for me as i really do need it. honest

Same Here, primarilly because all me work is sent to me on it. It's a company supplied Panasonic Toughbook.

Customer sign's the screen when job is complete. Also I can log onto the arc and on-site/see signals/off-site at every job. Also comes in handy for storing all the manuals and specific site info. Uploading/downloading from panels etc.

Couldn't live without it.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

We have laptops and a small colour printer in the same case. all our handover doc's are done on site from the laptop all the maunals are on it and we use it to program intruder and fire panels. We can also use the laptop to connect to the main server in the office to check anything as all dockets etc are scaned into the main computer. If a customer kicks off you can show them a copy of the docket they signed, without returning to the office to pick it up.

Also the customer database is on it so if i am out on site and i get a callout i can check the details and see what type of contract they have and more so if they owe and money.

As customers who dont pay get no service untill paid up.

Would a Laptop make an engineers life easier and save the company money or is just boys & toys?

I couldn't do my job without a laptop as some of the panels I work on "require" a laptop to program them.

Like whistles idea about scanning all docs to server for remote access, is that all on the laptop or do you connect via a G3 phone or what?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

i would have one but would be scared it gets nicked with all that info on it

I have too agree i know you can password protect everything but i also know you can buy software which can get round the passwords

I wonder what n.s.i view point is???

Archived