Security Installer Community

Alarm Installed Not To Original Spec

Guest kmac

I had an alarm installed today by a local company. Had to leave them to do it while I was at work - my wife was at home though.

They have installed the alarm but not according to their original spec:

Two bedrooms should have had wired PIRs and they have installed wireless ones.

My shed should have had a door contact but they have not installed this.

My kitchen should have had a dual tech PIR and they have installed an ordinary quad PIR

My shed should have had a dual tech PIR and they have installed an ordinary quad PIR

I know about the PIRs as they left the opriginal boxes they came in. Also they look identical (Guardtec as the other quad PIRs when they specified Rokonet as the dual tech ones)

I had an old alarm and they left the dummy bell box of the old company on the back of the house (at first floor level) and added their dummy box at ground floor level ( very ugly)!!

This is an SSAIB regulated ocmpany recommended by the local police.

I'm not very happy at all - not a great start to what I was hoping would be a longer term relationship with a professional company.

I will take these issues up with them tomorrow (I have not paid them yet) but just wanted to register the scale of dissapointment with what I thoought would be a professional regulated company!!

They knew they were not going to install to spec as they left a sheet with my wife which was typed up as "installed mostly in accordance to original specification..."

Extremely dissapointed to say the least!!

Two bedrooms should have had wired PIRs and they have installed wireless ones.

absolutely unacceptable!! you paid for decent wired one, not for RF jamming alarms!

My shed should have had a door contact but they have not installed this.

My kitchen should have had a dual tech PIR and they have installed an ordinary quad PIR

My shed should have had a dual tech PIR and they have installed an ordinary quad PIR

if YOU go to buy an Audi - you don't expect to get VW.. do you?

... recommended by the local police.

:police: is not security device / installation expert. they are trained for :bruce_h4h: and :Whip:

I will take these issues up with them tomorrow (I have not paid them yet) but just wanted to register the scale of dissapointment with what I thoought would be a professional regulated company!!

They knew they were not going to install to spec as they left a sheet with my wife which was typed up as "installed mostly in accordance to original specification..."

Extremely dissapointed to say the least!!

i would ask them to take their gear with them and never show up again! :ranting:

We fortunately you got the upper hand in this instance, dont pay them a penny until the system is to your complete satisfaction. They can threaten court action but they wouldnt have a leg to stand on if it went that far.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

hi all,

it seems this guy has not got what he expected, and bits are missing. if i bought a packet of polo's and they were wine gums i'd raise my concerns with the store.

his first call is to the installer to get them to exsplain the differences, may be he used wireless because cables could not be concealed easily to get the pir in the right place - who knows, but we should not jump in until they have a fair chance to remedy or explain the situation - (or so i'm always being told on here :rolleyes: ).

fitting wireless units cost more per unit, i'm not a fan of them either but quicker to fit, and you have the cost of the receiver to add.

Gardtec or Rokonet hmmm! no real issue as they are from the same 'stable' and imo decent make. quad or dualtec, unless 'hostile' enviorement again no real issue except dual-tec are a bit dearer than quad but both will protect and have there advantages..

missed shed door - door locked, ginormous woodworm preventig attachement of device, engineer needs new glasses or did you leave the dog in it?

ask them why the variations - if not happy then insist they return and do the agreed works. if no go then threaten and even go to the SSAIB complaints as rjbsec said and/or local trading standards office .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

This a strange post..................

Is it a wind up?????

Where you not doing it your self in feb 2005 when somebody was asking 400 pounds to add to sysem??

No wind up - got a company to completely change my old system to a new one

I have spoken to the company now:

shed - claims he didn't think it needed a door contact but will fit it since it is in the spec

wireless PIRs - says he was doing me a favour as they are more expensive - I said I would prefer wired as per the spec and after much arguing about why wireless is better he has relented and will change to wired

claims the quads are dual techs - so he will demonstrate that they are dual tech when he comes back for the other bits (not sure how he will show this)

Its just the overall attitude that I was not happy with - the bit about " I'm doing you a favour"

He's not - I just want the work done according to the spec we agreed for the price we agreed. Otherwise discuss any chnages with the customer prior to implementing them ( which he did not)

claims the quads are dual techs
They may well be, many manufacturers such as Rokonet use the same housing for a range of detector types.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived