Security Installer Community

Alarm Installed Not To Original Spec

Guest kmac

hi all,

is george after my 'mantle' :cold2::P

i fit wireless but still very wary of it, i got that from exsperiences with scantronics who promissed 18 months on a pp3 Duracell battery :no:, but lucky to get 5 - 6 months on a quiet site :bruce_h4h:

given early days problems with such as taxi, police, illegal cb radio's, also florescence lights and heavy electric motors which i lived through, and the jamming caused by it that tends to make you very sceptical, and i think george like me has the 't' hirt and cup on that one.

fit hard wired and you have a massive choice of detectors to choose from, if the client moves out a new one come's in and to can easily swap out if needed.

fit radio, by comparrason you are very restricted in choice of detector, i accept later kit is a massive step forward and vastly improved, Gartec in my home has behaved perfectly in the garage and office (wired elswhere). i have now have several radio installs near my home (so i can go and check on then) and they also work fine.

Radio one day may totally replace wired, but thats not happened yet, and in response to an erlier post, for that matter not either with networking, or telephone systems - ask yourself why?

word of caution, use radio and the maker stops making that model or worse brings out the same with a diferent frequency like Scantronic, confussion reigns. you get a fault then its a total new system needed, where with wired you can fit another make to an existing kit.

wired kit is great and still prefered, but sometimes you can not place a detector in an ideal location without showing cable or half a days work and major disruption, radio is king in that situation.

so for or against - your choice folks.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest G.J.M

wire free is a great option to have when cabling is impossible.

from a fire point of view i would personally go wired but in some instances it's not possible and the same i guess goes for intruder.

For fire the downside is higher equipment cost,having to replace loads of batteries and the devices imo look ugly,due to space needed for batteries.

The intruder guys from the company used to have bother from wire free in the early days(Ademco) but i guess things have got better?

If wire free became the future,it would make it easier for all engineers but i still prefer to go wired.

If wire free became the future,it would make it easier for all engineers but i still prefer to go wired.

naturally wirefree is better than nothing. and it will be a future when they are based on UWB ( also known as "spark" radio ).

I don't think that wire free will ever be the future, but do concede it will be a more prominent part of it.
When is cabling impossible.? Awkward perhaps, and occasionaly not an option with some insistant customers, but never impossible.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

I don't think that wire free will ever be the future, but do concede it will be a more prominent part of it.

it will become technically as reliable as wired when UWB is introduced but naturally it still has its weaknesses.

When is cabling impossible.? Awkward perhaps, and occasionaly not an option with some insistant customers, but never impossible.

QFA!! even here! :lol:

Guest G.J.M

it is Dave when the building is riddled with asbestos or the building is heritage site etc

where conduits etc are not an option

Guest RICHL

I think it will be rising labour costs making wired systems uneconomic to install which will ensure wireless is prevalent - at grade 2 at least.

I think it will be rising labour costs making wired systems uneconomic to install which will ensure wireless is prevalent - at grade 2 at least.

QFA RICHL,

electronics improve and inovate at an amazing rate, just look at the mobile brick phone of 10 years ago, compare that to the smatrphones available today. ok the battery life is back to where it was then with bluetoothe enabled but the features oh the features in a tiny case.

George feels 'spark radio' will be the next generation, i don't know anything of that technology but from what he says i hope if it go's into mobil's soon because then i'll get a signal 15 floors down in an NCP car park or nuke bunker - just like they do for 'CTU' in the '24' program :rolleyes: instead of 'no service' in my back gartden :ranting: .

George any decent rightups i can read up on it? :signthankspin:

reg

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Wired or not i ask myself.

Having worked with a few wireless panels i have to conceed they are going to be ever more popular.

I`m probably flogging a old horse here but what the hell is wrong with wireless tech. People use bluetooth with no reguard to passwords, the ammount of times i can "hack" a laptop, or peal off files from PDA`s is amazing. Get a D500 and the worlds your oyster!

At least with wireless you can alter site codes, make it a bit more secure. Georg has a very definite oppinion on this and fairs fair he is entitled to it. However its not as bad as he makes out. At least he does state there is a future for this technology so isnt as biased as he actually makes out.

As stated above there are situations where you cannot hard wire, do we say to the customer "No sorry we cannot protect your property"...!

As i see it the problem will come when the frenquency`s become so used there will be an issue, once again i feel Georg is correct, to an extent. When the goverment issue new licences and frequencys we should see a major improvement.

To make a point about site codes and engineers lazyness..........Get a FACC or Nice and even a Came remote fob, walk about and press it on factory settings and see how many gates open.

Then again use a Gardtec remote and see what happens as you walk down the road.

Wireless is the future, but it needs to be guided and thought about a little bit more.

cheers

it is Dave when the building is riddled with asbestos or the building is heritage site etc

where conduits etc are not an option

I was reffering to 99% of jobs, and the domestic market. But honestly I have never been to ANY domestic or commercial job that wireless has been the only option. There has ALWAYS been a way to wire.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived