Security Installer Community

Alarm Installed Not To Original Spec

Guest kmac

wireless PIRs - says he was doing me a favour as they are more expensive - I said I would prefer wired as per the spec and after much arguing about why wireless is better he has relented and will change to wired

hmm - i strongly advise you to change the company. if they really said wireless is better they don't have a slightest idea what they are doing. since their knowledge of alarm systems are on that LOW level it reaches gates of the hell i guess you would get better security system from your florist.

if possible check that they installed end of line resistors in to the detectors NOT into panel end.

No wind up - got a company to completely change my old system to a new one

I have spoken to the company now:

shed - claims he didn't think it needed a door contact but will fit it since it is in the spec

wireless PIRs - says he was doing me a favour as they are more expensive - I said I would prefer wired as per the spec and after much arguing about why wireless is better he has relented and will change to wired

Its just the overall attitude that I was not happy with - the bit about " I'm doing you a favour"

based on what you say, and their suggested sluggish or poor response thus far, i personally would contact the SSAIB and check they are still listed with them. it happens with such bodies, companies either leave or get removed but still claim to be members and thats not restricted to our trade, honest companies hate it with a passion as it brings us all into disrepute.

such trading is not the inspectorate bodies fault, or the local Police as their 'current list' might simply be out of date.

i suggest do not pay a penny until fully rectified including any making good to redecoration caused by the errant works. put everything in writing to the company for later evidence if required as the inspectorate will ned this.

if they drag their feet, then warn it will be removed at their expense and equipment retained against payment of that works, and the local TSO, CPO and SSSAIB will be contacted. it should shake up any normally reputable company, and hopefully a bad one too.

i'd like to think this was just a 'bad hair' moment on this installers behalf, beleive me its not parr for the course in this trade. read some of the battles on this forum, many wars over very fine detail or an opinion how it should be done, shows how much most really care for what we do, that go's for companies even outside the inspectorates - like mine (currently).

regs

Alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hmm - i strongly advise you to change the company. if they really said wireless is better they don't have a slightest idea what they are doing. since their knowledge of alarm systems are on that LOW level it reaches gates of the hell i guess you would get better security system from your florist.

Yawn.

if possible check that they installed end of line resistors in to the detectors NOT into panel end.

I think everyone has got the message now Georg, can we please give it a rest with the "wireless is rubbish" lark.

I would also not recommend fiddling with their work, especially not until this dispute is resolved in some way else any recourse you have will be out of the window if you go taking lids off things.

Trade Member

Guest G.J.M

more like he could not be bothered to run cables.

That's possible and there may have been a perfectly good reason BUT if I were needing to make such changes to the spec I would ONLY do so after discussion and agreement with the customer.

And a docket signed by the customer to say they agree with the change's.

Like Rjbsec i install a lot of wireless systems and do not get a lot of problems with them.

I am also fed up of gorg spouting nonesense about wireless.

the fact that many companies install them does not make it invulnerable for jamming..

THEY WILL BE THE FUTURE :yes:

haven't i said so??!??

:question:

Archived