Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9600

CR Alarms

Hi guys I have a scantronic 9600 in my house, very old system I know but still works fine.I will be installing another bellbox for the back of my house (flashguard Xl). Ideally I would like this sounder on sab just like the front bell box which is also a flashguard xl for maximum volume. I am unsure how much current the bell and strobe output is for this panel? From the 9600 manual It says the maximum current that can be drawn from the system is 1250ma @20 degrees or 800@ 40 degrees ambient temperature. I have taken a current measurement for my alarm and it is 240ma in standby and 729ma in full alarm currently. 

So do you think it would be safe to install the second bellbox set to sab or will it likely trip the poly as soon as the panel triggers? Does anyone know from experience how much the bell/strobe polyfuse can tolerate on this system? My total current in alarm will soon be 1050ma if this new bell is set to sab, or 840ma if I set it scb. The flashguard in sab mode in full alarm and strobe draws 320ma in total, For scb mode it is 110ma. 

Any help would be appreciated on this thanks.

Edited by CR Alarms

Hi I will do my best to make it clearer as this is a very old system. Here is the specifications from the 9600 installation manual. Warning this might be long.

Power Supply

A.

The total current available from the control panel is as follows

System output current (Ambient temperature 20 degrees C) = 1250 mA

System output current (Ambient temperature 40 degrees C) = 800 mA 

B.

Alarm demand current

To calculate the required current in an alarm condition. add all the current consumption of all detectors, sounders, strobes, communicators and any other devices wired to the system. This will provide the total alarm demand current.

Subtract the alarm demand from the power supply output current. Any extra current requirement will be supplied by the battery in an alarm condition. Note that if the obattery is not capable of supplying the extra current it will be necessary to increase the size of the battery. The power supply will recharge a 6ah  battery within the time specified in the British Standards for Intruder alarms.

C

Outputs 

The programmable outputs 1 and 2 are rated at up to 1 amp surge output. However, it is recommended that the continuous current drawn from these outputs does not exceed 500ma. Note these 2 programmable outputs are switched positive outputs,positive applied or positive removed, they are not a true 0v potential.

So there you have it this is a clear as I can make it. There is no mention of what the bell and strobe are rated at. My standby current currently is 240mA and the full alarm current is 729mA. The battery in the panel is 7ah it is the biggest that will fit in the case. Flashguard bellbox in sab mode is 320mA total and in scb mode it is 110mA. When I fit this additional bellbox the total current for the system in full alarm will be 1049mA if the new bell is to sab, or 839mA total on scb.

What I would like to know is will the bell/strobe output take this current or will it likely trip the poly when it alarms?. 

Thanks