Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9600 Faulty Keypad

bazzabear78

Hi All

I have a Scantronic 9600 system, and the main keypad has developed a fault with the tamper switch on the back - resulting in it setting off every few seconds, as it believes it is being tampered with.

I know the whole system has been discontinued, but this is resulting in my fitter suggesting two new keypads and a control unit, at about £480!

Can anyone advise how likely I am to be able to just get a replacement keypad somewhere (and where? and whether it'll just be plug and play?)

Or, alternatively, is this a known fault - and if I remove the keypad and take it to an electrician, is there any chance he'll be able to replace or fix the switch on the back?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

£480 for a panel and 2 keypads. I'd snap his hand off.

This panel is so old, realistically how much life do you want out of equipment so old? Ebay is the only real place but it's inevitable that sooner or later this is going to fail.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

20 yr old alarm parts turn up on ebay,

electricians don't do pcb repairs, an electronics workshop maybe able to help you with this however I suspect its way cheaper to chance 2nd user items form fleabay.

£480.00 for replacement isn't that dear when you consider the 9600 & 2 x 9625's would a £250 ish back in the 90's

before labour

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Yeah, I suspected it wasn't a bad price for what he was offering (good to hear it confirmed though!). Just wondered if there was a completely different solution that could save a lot.

Thanks for your thoughts.

There's a 3400 keypad on eBay, which looks all but identical, but I assume they're not compatible?

3400 is a 9600 keypad. Modern alarms renamed it 3400. I don't remember there being anything different to a standard 9600 apart from branding but it is a long time ago so wouldn't want to make 100% claim it's compatible.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I am almost certain we have 2 x brand new 9600 RKP's in stores. Yet I am sure we have non on the books anymore.

We upgraded the last of them a couple of years ago.

Yeah, I suspected it wasn't a bad price for what he was offering (good to hear it confirmed though!). Just wondered if there was a completely different solution that could save a lot.

Thanks for your thoughts.

There's a 3400 keypad on eBay, which looks all but identical, but I assume they're not compatible?

It is the same its not as simple as a plug and play replacement, but is a direct replacement. Though one word of caution it is as old as the keypad that its replacing,

£480 for a panel and 2 keypads. I'd snap his hand off.

This panel is so old, realistically how much life do you want out of equipment so old? Ebay is the only real place but it's inevitable that sooner or later this is going to fail.

If you're worried about using the new one, don't be, the 9600 set the pace in many ways and most current panels are just as easy to use.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Go with the upgrade, also bear in mind that for the quoted price they will almost certainly have to go round every detector to fit resistors (for compatibility) which will add time to the job. So its not as simple as a straight swap.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

I bet the bit of rolled up tape has fallen out

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)