Security Installer Community

Pet Friendly Sensors

Guest stubbsy007

I disagree that that is always the case - I accept that with an unwise choice of detector branded "pet friendly", even an elephant could remain undetected!

fit an elephant catcher ......

Makes you think tho, we quoted against //.National Installer.// and they refused to fit pet tolerant PIRS and lost the sale, they must have had some bad experiences with them?

As //.National Installer.// would never want to lose a sale!

Surprised JBeye hasn't been on here re. pet detectors as he hates them.

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Makes you think tho, we quoted against //.National Installer.// and they refused to fit pet tolerant PIRS and lost the sale, they must have had some bad experiences with them?

As //.National Installer.// would never want to lose a sale!

sometimes you have to admit defeat and walk away...

I disagree that that is always the case - I accept that with an unwise choice of detector branded "pet friendly", even an elephant could remain undetected!

Even good ones if incorrectly sited will cause problems.

However there are some extremely good "pet friendly" detectors available and if used with care, and intelligent placement, they can provide as good detection as any other sensor and better than many I could name.

Couldnt agree more.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

He's not alone,

granted there are some very good pet detectors available now (Bosch especially), but effectively they can never be as sensitive as non pet detectors due to having to ignore movement. :hmm:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

I believe that //.National Installer.// would rather lose a sale than have a system that could be compromised by use of a pet detector.

Surley the best way to do this is to isolate the cat or pet in one room and use perimeter protection, ie vipers on the windows, even though cats/pets have been known to activate these as well.

i always recommend using industrial stregnth 'blue tac' or 'gripfill/no-nails', a blob on each paw and one on the tail, then stick the cat to the ceiling. :bruce_h4h:

:joker: i'm only joking, in the past i have spent many many hours on call-outs caused due to animals within protected zones - makes you a bit anti-feline in fact ant-any animal.

love or hate 'pet freindly' detectors, location and selection of any detector, no matter what technology used, is a matter for the skill and experience of the person specifying the system as well as possible wrisk of lose factors. no blanket answere is ever going to be correct for all the various situations. the //.National Installer.// salesman may have decided this location was not suitable, i praise him for being so honest to stand by his oppinion.

in an ideal world it is always preferable to fit 'non-pet freindly' detectors for the best catch performance where animals are not an issue. but even in a non-pet house, it happens for a pet to be temporarily housed for say a holiday - that results in either a false alarm or the system not beiing used, not good situations at all :hmm: .

concider also the client not using the system if at a later stage a cat or dog is added to the home 'in case they cause a false alarm'. they can't always spend the time to capture it before going out, or it accidently gets left in the master bedroom, and how many of your clients know how to isolate a zone?. cats (and poodles) are very adept at hiding and are not known to respond to the commands 'heel' or 'stay', and this is apart from beloved 'tiddles' ripping the decor to shreds and doing a N0.2 on the carpet to indicate its displeasure at being so confined.

think it through, to install perimiter protection closely matching a PIR would be far more costly to instal, contacts to each door and window openning, vipers and glass break detactors etc for one room, and given the above the 'safe' perimeter zone concept is really no more an effective stratagey to fitting a 'pet freindly' detector, which although in some circumstances might not catch an intruder, the alarm will at least hopefully be turned on giving a 'second chance' of detection from elswhere.

it's important to make your client fully aware of the possible short commings of all the options, in order for them to best decide.

the funniest pet situation i dealt with was a lady who had two poodles, i had suggested to place them in the garage with a blanket, "i could not possibly leave my babies 'pixie and perry' in a cold garage" (even though it did have central heating :rolleyes: ). as the kitchen was being remodeled, i suggested making one of the base units into a sort of kennel. this she accepted as a compromise but unknown to me she told the kitchen company she did not want too many bars, as her babies would feel they were in prison.

well, this kennel cost

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived