Security Installer Community

Questions about Intruder alarm quotations...

Guest Andy Jones

But disagree regards puting the control panel in the loft, lofts are often subject to extreme tempurature changes which will effect the life of the printed circuit board.

Valid point.

Regarding cable, lots of companies only use 6-core. LOTS. It doesn't mean that they are unprofessional. In a home how much expansion is one going to do from a pir in the front room? We use 8 but didn't use to.

I use 8 core not so much as expansion although it can come in handy but from a point if a core is nicked say when stapling/clipping. Its like a bit of insurance, it dosent cost much extra so it might as well go in.

I agree it dosent make them unprofessional

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Guest Andy Jones

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I would like to say that all three suppliers have been courteuos, professional and helpful at all times. Non of my questions are aimed at suggesting anything different.

I just want to enusure I get a quaility system at a fair price. To do that I need to ask questions and here I feel can get impartial advice. Its very much appreciated.

I have just reread the quotes and the Texecom supplier's covering letter states 'the system is designed to meet EN50131 and insurance standards to Grade 2 ATS B'.

The Menvier supplier just states the spec is for an intruder alarm to BS 4737 Parts 1 3 and 4 and to the requirements of NACOSS. No mention of grade.

I dont have a written quote from the Scantronic guy yet. So nothing to quote.

Thanks for the advice on the K980's I will see if they will replace with Bosch ones where neccessary. Are Visonic non pet imune sensors ok (assuming thats what they normally use) for the other, non pet areas.

As for the Control box position, given the split of opinion then the cupboard will probably do. I dont have anything that would be specifically targetted so any thief is most likely to be opertunistic and hopefully not educated in 'how to defeat any panel in 30 seconds!'

Anyone have anymore thoughts on sensor placement? Only thing bothering me know (for the moment :-))

I will insist on 8 core when they/whoever it is does it.

Thanks again

Andy

But disagree regards puting the control panel in the loft, lofts are often subject to extreme tempurature changes which will effect the life of the printed circuit board.

And battery due to how hot the loft gets in the summer.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

The Menvier supplier just states the spec is for an intruder alarm to BS 4737 Parts 1 3 and 4 and to the requirements of NACOSS. No mention of grade.

Andy

The Menvier quote is fine. Not! BS 4737 is no longer valid; the spec needs to be upgraded to EN.

I will insist on 8 core when they/whoever it is does it.

Thanks again

Andy

Never come across a customer that will ask for type of cable. As Adi says, the main reason is redundancy if there is a damaged core or 2. If there is a problem with the cable on install it is the engineer who will suffer, not you. Although unlikely, if the cable gets damaged post install you will have to pay for its repair or replacement anyway. If it was not the installers fault that is.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I have just reread the quotes and the Texecom supplier's covering letter states 'the system is designed to meet EN50131 and insurance standards to Grade 2 ATS B'.

Anyone have anymore thoughts on sensor placement? Only thing bothering me know (for the moment :-))

Just a few small points which may help

First one should be Grade 2 option B which is a system with a outside sounder (sab/scb) with some sort of monitoring.

the second one, they can't install to BS4737 no more :no: (Its went 1st Oct)

with the last one, its hard to say about sensor placement without seeing your home, so you will need to trust your installer with this one.

hope this helps

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Guest Andy Jones

A plan of the ground floor can be found here...

Its 380k so may take a while to download.

Any thoughts on sensor positions gratefully received.

Pets will be confined to Utility/Kitchen/hall and landing.

Radiators in lounge either side of interior door to hall.

Conservatory gets very hot/cold

Control box most likely in cupboard in hall

If any problems with the image then please pm me and I'll email you a copy.

Thanks

Andy

Just my initial thoughts on this from the drawing. But ideally your installer will survey the property in the 1st instance. I'd also suggest you grant the pets a little less freedom.

Sorry but 476KB.

post-1-1132614981_thumb.jpg

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Just my initial thoughts on this from the drawing. But ideally your installer will survey the property in the 1st instance. I'd also suggest you grant the pets a little less freedom.
Like this approach and if the ideal site survey is not available then we do a risk analysis (we would only recommend monitored systems) giving each room a risk from R1, High to R4, No protection offered. Once the analysis is agreed we ask the reason for your choice and the value we are protecting in your R1 rooms, as well as theft history the location of the property etc. Rooms with R1 on residential get TMD, and once the info is available we would recommend a grade (It

Customers!

Guest Lorraine

Andy,

a few words from past experience as the end user (not hte alarm installer!). Don't get a texecom veritas, I had it in my last house, unless you have the lcd keypad its not that user friendly when you want to do more than part/full set.

menvier ts700 is what i had in my current house before i ripped it out. not bad but the keypads look dreadful!

just installed a texecom premier range and that is really good. easy to use and does everything you'd ever need.

Also when installed my panel I took the risk approach that every room was a risk and just installed a detector in that room! clearly the upstairs is less of a risk but even then at

Guest Andy Jones

Many thanks Dave for the positioning information.

I'm not sure my budget will stretch to all the sensors you indicated but it does confirm to some extent my concerns over the location of sensors proposed by the 3 companies I have had visit. I know they have seen the site and you havent but it gives me more confidence in discussing the positioning with them.

I do take on your concern about the pets. We are used to them roaming around and I guess if I use the Bosch's recommended then it will be a case of seeing how we get on.and restricting them further if its a problem.

Thanks for the opinion on the Texecom Lorriane. The Premier is the one that was selected by one of the installers and I dont see any reason (so far) to use another if they were to do it..

Can the Texecom Premier be expanded to handle (Class 6) wireless detectors? At some point I might want to protect the garage (detatched) and there is no existing way to route cables. I thought a wireless might be the easiest should I decide at some point to protect it.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Andy

Archived