Security Installer Community

Questions about Intruder alarm quotations...

Guest Andy Jones

Guest Lorraine

hi andy,

if you have a detached garage I would recommend you get a dedicated alarm for that, you could easily install that one yourself and I am sure it would be much better than a wireless. ONe of my neighbours has a wireless one and he gets problems with interference and its gotten a lot worse since wifi went mainstream.

Lorraine

PS Sorry mod, wans't aware of the price thing!

The rear right corner of the kitchen is likely to be no good due to high level storage.

We dont know what is upstairs which might impede cable runs, such as tiled floors in bathrooms, shower trays etc.

Personally the choice of corner should be up to the installers, and as long as they are fitting good quality detectors, they can face a window (within 50% of its range), so there is no need at all to drag cables to the far side of the house.

The rear right corner of the kitchen is likely to be no good due to high level storage.

We dont know what is upstairs which might impede cable runs, such as tiled floors in bathrooms, shower trays etc.

Personally the choice of corner should be up to the installers, and as long as they are fitting good quality detectors, they can face a window (within 50% of its range), so there is no need at all to drag cables to the far side of the house.

Indeed.

Also, Class VI doesn't really come into it anymore with EN.............I think :hmm:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I think Daves positioning for the Lounge detector is wrong (sorry Dave)

No problem Pete, and If i'd have specified a pir instead of a DT i'd agree. But regardless of where the detector is placed in that room the a pir element of the detector will see the heat from the fire.

I'd actually prefer the patio/lounge door contacted and shocked, and the lounge/hall doors at least contacted. But somewhere we have to draw the line between expense and what's the cheaper way to protect that area. Hence me not even specifying heat/smoke detection.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

if you have a detached garage I would recommend you get a dedicated alarm for that, you could easily install that one yourself and I am sure it would be much better than a wireless. ONe of my neighbours has a wireless one and he gets problems with interference and its gotten a lot worse since wifi went mainstream.

First off, a professionally installed wireless system beats a DIY cobbled wired system hands down. Secondly, your neighbours alarm sounds like a Yale\Response type thing so I am unsurprised that it doesn't work properly. If it is a professional wireless system then it needs looking at. Although I'm not a fan of wireless I don't think your ponts are valid.

Can the Texecom Premier be expanded to handle (Class 6) wireless detectors? At some point I might want to protect the garage (detatched) and there is no existing way to route cables. I thought a wireless might be the easiest should I decide at some point to protect it.

All of the panels listed can be expanded to utilise wireless detectors. Best bet would be to have a word with the installer as they may have their preferred equipment.

As for the pets, mine get shut in one room when we go out which has perimiter protection, (shocks on the windows, contacts on all the doors etc..), I personally wouldn't entertain the idea of having pet detectors all the way through the house.

Guest Lorraine
First off, a professionally installed wireless system beats a DIY cobbled wired system hands down. Secondly, your neighbours alarm sounds like a Yale\Response type thing so I am unsurprised that it doesn't work properly.

I disagree totally with that statement because you have made the assumption that DIYer's don't have access to the same gear you do! I bought and wired a texecom premier system and I bet that is miles better than any wireless system - professional or not!

I disagree totally with that statement because you have made the assumption that DIYer's don't have access to the same gear you do! I bought and wired a texecom premier system and I bet that is miles better than any wireless system - professional or not!

DIY-ers DO NOT have access to the same equipment that professional installers use. And I think you misunderstood Lurch's point. Your panel is not DIY (although available to DIY-ers) per se and he was more than likely referring to the **** you can buy in B&Q or Homebase.

Furthermore, most professional grade systems offer wireless peripherals, so no, your Texecom is not miles better than anything hard wired or wireless, because they all offer the same.

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I think the tone of the previous post was a bit harsh for a moderator

I disagree totally with that statement...........

Just pointing out a fact. I don't think it was harsh. Depends on how you want to read it, or more importantly, how you interpreted Lorraines post, and in turn mine.

Guest Lorraine

HI everyone

my post wasn't designed to be offensive, if it sounded like that i apologise.

I am just at a loss as to why the installers on here don't think that diyer's can buy pro kit. I'm not sure what is pro and what isn't but I gather castle/menvier/scantronic are supposed to be quite good makes which I was told was "pro gear" and my local electrical/alarm wholesaler would have been able to sell me all them.

also on the subject of wired and wireless. I don't see how any wireless system can be better than a wired system. here's what i think the advants and disadvants are but i'm sure the list is by no means exhaustive

wireless

advans: no cabling, easy to install, can be put almost anywhere

disadvans: batteries, liable to interference, frequency jammming?

wired

advans: no batteries, its hardwired so isn't going to go anywhere, cannot be jammed?!

disadvans: harder to install, unsightly wires

lorraine

Archived