Security Installer Community

A massive thank you

Guest Chewie

I find gromets to be more trouble than they are worth, I have used them in the past. Upon filling the chasing, I make sure that it squeezes right into the socket box hole. The cable is completely encased with no chance of movement or touching the sharp edge of the hole.

Things move over time.

I.e when you constantly plug and un-plug items into them.

also your mains cable should be capped to prevent damage or someone being blown up because they fancy putting up a shelf after the wall has been decorated.

as for co-ax run with 240v. Inductance will eventually blow up your tv

also your mains cable should be capped to prevent damage or someone being blown up because they fancy putting up a shelf after the wall has been decorated.

Not really. Capping is for protection from plasterers trowels. It is not for protection against drill bits, screws and nails, which is just as well as it doen't protect against much really.

as for co-ax run with 240v. Inductance will eventually blow up your tv

Hmmmm......... :hmm:

Chewie it was all going so well!

No tube to cables makes it impossible to re-wire circuits if damaged in future.

How have you complied with Part P?

Have you carried out the nessacery checks and tests?

This looks a very poor and possibly dangerous installation, no grommetts, cables plastered into walls and coax passing through a socket box.

Any approved contractor would condem it, please stop before it is too late and get an electrician in!

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

This house was built in 1986, there is not one single gromet in any socket or switch box, cables are plastered into the walls with that plastic capping covering it. As far as i can tell the only use that is for is holding the cable to the wall.

So by your logic, I should have the whole lot ripped out and rewired, because it does not comply with "current regulations", therefore it must be dangerous.

No way of pulling cable through that capping either, so while I am at it I need the whole house replastered.

OK, I will get right on it.

Would not let me edit my post for some reason.

This house was built in 1986, there is not one single gromet in any socket or switch box, cables are plastered into the walls with that plastic capping covering it. As far as i can tell the only use that is for is holding the cable to the wall.

[facetious mode]

So by your logic, I should have the whole lot ripped out and rewired, because it does not comply with "current regulations", therefore it must be dangerous.

No way of pulling cable through that capping either, so while I am at it I need the whole house replastered.

OK, I will get right on it. [/facetious mode]

Lets take the analogy of a chain, and the fact that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

I have a steel chain that I want extended, I could add some titanium links, but would that make the chain any stronger? No. If the chain is going to break it will break on one of the steel links.

So because I could fit titanium links, but choose to fit steel, does this impair the chain in any way? No.

So to use another analogy, I have added some steel links to my chain, replaced a couple of rusty ones, and also given it a good misting of WD40, why?

Because on removing sockets and light switches, I found at least half a dozen metal back boxes that were not earthed, which I subsequently made sure were earthed.

Because the house only had a 6 way consumer unit. An external rcd switch had been fitted to supply power to an electric shower, hence the cable between the switch and the consumer unit was protected only by the 100A main fuse.

So I had the board replaced with a split load board with an rcd protecting both socket rings, the shower and the cooker. This also meant my Alarm could have its own mcb

Oh and look at the dates on the photos, part P was not in force when this work was carried out

:P

Chewie, remember that these guys HAVE to do things the right way. The regulations for Electrical wiring have changed a lot these last couple of years, now to the extent that any wiring you do yourself should be fully checked, tested & inspected.

They do have your best interest in mind, and after submitting your piccies to the boards thay have been quick to point out your wiring short cummings.

The advice given may seem to be a little be-littling, but that's the way it sometimes goes on here. Understandably your a little miffed, especially after doing your best and not fully knowing the latest wiring requirements. But don't feel too dis-heartened, you've had a go and in my opinion not done a bad job overall. The lads have pointed out there concerns and you will no doubt take all advice into consideration.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Sure, point taken, and if given advise by those in the know then I will take it. But to say that my work is poor and dangerous is just insulting.

Not quite, but any NEW wiring should comply with the current requirements at the time of the wiring. And yes at the time Part P did not apply.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

With a few exceptions, it's not too bad a job. Especially for your first attempt.

For your own peace of mind though, get the whole lot inspected and tested by an electrician. Show him all you've done incase there is anything dangerous.

If you don't know......ask.

Archived