Security Installer Community

Dedicated Spur?

Guest Guest

i'm no sparks but over the years like many others installed the alarm spur and automatic lighting (having been trained early days on Chubbs by a guy who was a sparks) but did not legislation come in late last/early this year which basically meant you can not legally do any electrical works now without being qualified, even in your own house? i probably misunderstood this legislation if so sorry for boring you guys.

but prior to this latest ammendment it was it not still a bit iffy (if you could not certify) as i understand it, say you fit a spur all well, good and properly safe, don't you the assume responsability of the whole of that circuit?. then say if you have tapped of a ring which served a wet area as well as the dry area where you 'tapped in' and someone gets hurt, do you become responsible for it?

Yes, sort of. Even in the 'olden days' (pre part p) you assumed responsibility of the instalation, or at least the circuit you worked on. If something went wrong because of something you'd done then you would be held responsible, if it was an existing fault\design flaw or similar and it was noted on the test schedule then you're covered.

Part p hasn't changed the way in which electrical work is carried out, therefore if you were doing it before you would stil do it the same way now. Part p just means that under some circumstances you have to be approved by a domestic installer registered inspectorate doobrie to do the job. For adding a spur in a loft or understairs cupboard then you are exempt from part p.

gobb

arfur_mo

i can think of a word that goes with that.. :whistle:

No, I mean MCB's so my post is valid.

No need to apologise. :whistle:

that'll be them cheap lights from b&q then... :whistle:

that'll be them cheap lights from b&q then... :whistle:

Usually that, sometimes it's just down to harmonics. Either way, tripping MCB's are very infrequent round mine and if they did the alarm wouldn't know about it anyway. ;)

Yes, sort of. Even in the 'olden days' (pre part p) you assumed responsibility of the instalation, or at least the circuit you worked on. If something went wrong because of something you'd done then you would be held responsible, if it was an existing fault\design flaw or similar and it was noted on the test schedule then you're covered.

Part p hasn't changed the way in which electrical work is carried out, therefore if you were doing it before you would stil do it the same way now. Part p just means that under some circumstances you have to be approved by a domestic installer registered inspectorate doobrie to do the job. For adding a spur in a loft or understairs cupboard then you are exempt from part p.

thanks for clearing that up, i am sure many other non spark installlers were confused by this - i hope as i don't like to feel lonely :rolleyes: . is it easy to portray where you will need that 'doobery' for domestics?

i can think of a word that goes with that.. :whistle:

'enormouse' like my feet, and you know what they say about men with big feet don't you? - big socks ;)

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Temp cable's elastaplasted round the house :whistle: I call that a trip hazzard, in this day & age you will get sued.

as to being sued, 'especialy in this day and age' can result from any task you fulfill incorctly or with neglegence which results in loss, harm or stress. the use of the fixing as long as it is properly applied for the purpose intended and not dependent on its original design perception, is not in itself deemed to be neglegant. put simply, use pins zip straps trunking whatever as long as it holds.

'trip hazard' not quite m8, the idea of the elastaplast was to secure the cables out of the way of peoples feet i.e arround door frames or coat hangers - not sure what you had in mind to do with it but i like your thinking - i usually employ those furry handcuffs but thats another forum ;) .

it had a secondary purpose too, as if someone fell over a cable which had become dislodged - they had a plaster (thoughtfully provided by Combat) to put on the graze/cut as all their stuff had been nicked. :whistle: i spent a lot of time on customer relations/complaints - does it show :rolleyes: ?

on a more serious note, i do emphasise it was a very very short term stop-gap measure for 2 -3 days until the main alarm was installed. where break-ins were the source of the sale top priority was given to them. now i don't say this was all heart and was done possibly to 'close' them before someone else offered a cheaper quote - but making money was not frowned on :P .

if you have never been in attendance to a house, so soon after it had been trashed, with excrement and paint smeared everywhere, over family pictures and personal belongings beleive me it's not pleasant :no: and regardless of Combats motives good or otherwise you can have nothing but sympathy for the victims. fitting those temp systems and helping people in distress albeit i was paid for my time, was something i got extra satifaction from.

i really hope it never happens to any of you, your family and freinds. just imagine yourself as a 'non trade' for a moment, you would want to do anything to increase security in order to protect your family, and restore faith in the integrety of your 'castle' its always the women who are affected the worst and need to be re-assured most, the men compensate by feeling they want to murder the intruders and would if they got their hands on them - maybe!

Combat, who i do not claim to be spotless public spirite motivated angels, but for all their supposed faults offered a very fast effective, and as far as i know unique response to fill this need, you could not always rely on the local Police to install the radio linked system to fill the gap as they have limited funds.

so like a said - scoff away!

arfur_mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived