Security Installer Community

Dedicated Spur?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
Yes, install a fused spur using the same size twin and earth as the socket you are spuring of (i.e. 2.5mm2, and fit it with a 3amp fuse. The fused spur should be adjacent to or next to the alarm control panel.

Fantastic news for the customer, firstly they have like most people just purchased a new home, decorated it and it looks great, so great that a villan decides to break in and nick property.

The customer then wants an alarm installed 'Yesterday' Does that sound familiar'

So off the installer goes and using ALL the advice given about placing the panel in a secure area especially knowing that the villan will probably return, he decides to put the panel in the loft. (it's the only place)

The installer then states sorry but I cannot get a mains supply from the ring main without chasing a cable down the wall.

Sorry 'GET REAL' it is a new house No cupboards leading to the loft.

And you have a perfectly safe 6amp well earthed lighting circuit in the loft.

It is only a 3amp spur needed

Make your own mind up!

Guest Alarm Guard
Fantastic news for the customer, firstly they have like most people just purchased a new home, decorated it and it looks great, so great that a villan decides to break in and nick property.

The customer then wants an alarm installed 'Yesterday' Does that sound familiar'

So off the installer goes and using ALL the advice given about placing the panel in a secure area especially knowing that the villan will probably return, he decides to put the panel in the loft. (it's the only place)

The installer then states sorry but I cannot get a mains supply from the ring main without chasing a cable down the wall.

Sorry 'GET REAL' it is a new house No cupboards leading to the loft.

And you have a perfectly safe 6amp well earthed lighting circuit in the loft.

It is only a 3amp spur needed

Make your own mind up!

Is there anything in IEE regs that says you shouldn't connect an intruder alarm to a lighting circuit? It is common practice to connect smoke detectors to lighting.... so what do the regs say?

I am not being lazy here. I would have checked for myself, but my copy of the regs seems to have gone awol.

Nothing wrong with connecting it to the lighting circuit. It's not usually the best idea because of the frequent bulb-blowing-MCB-tripping thing.

Not quite sure where the chasing cables down walls comes into it. There's usually a way to get a cable to the loft, either from a socket backing onto a cupboard or through some fishing up partition walls. You could even (usually) put it on the immersion circuit.

WRT smokes on lighting circuits, most will be wired with a dedicated circuit. It's only the odd few that are wired into lighting circuits IME.

Guest Guest
Is there anything in IEE regs that says you shouldn't connect an intruder alarm to a lighting circuit? It is common practice to connect smoke detectors to lighting.... so what do the regs say?

I am not being lazy here. I would have checked for myself, but my copy of the regs seems to have gone awol.

This is from the bloke who wrote about the lighting circuit.

It so happens I am a fully qualified Electrician of 36 years, JIB registered, identured 5 yr apprenticeship served , city and guilds etc etc.

I have not registered for Part P because in part I agree with it BUT I know of a million ways of circumnavigating it, and why spend about

Guest Guest
Nothing wrong with connecting it to the lighting circuit. It's not usually the best idea because of the frequent bulb-blowing-MCB-tripping thing.

Not quite sure where the chasing cables down walls comes into it. There's usually a way to get a cable to the loft, either from a socket backing onto a cupboard or through some fishing up partition walls. You could even (usually) put it on the immersion circuit.

WRT smokes on lighting circuits, most will be wired with a dedicated circuit. It's only the odd few that are wired into lighting circuits IME.

Try fishing cables up some of the new houses !!! are you joking!!!

Immersion heater supply!! new boilers do not need tanks so thats out !!

We have just wired 200 new houses a supply from the ring is impossible !!

Sorry but we must get real use the lighting circuit do not destroy the NEW walls

Shouldn't the supply to the spur be in 2.5mm as it's rated at 13Amps?

Obviously lighting ccts ain't usually wired in 2.5mm :hmm:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

I give in. Mr Guest, you're an angry idiot and I'm not arguing with someone who can't be bothered to sign up and let us all know who he is.

Your reply is contradictory and tosh by the way.

Archived