Security Installer Community

Dedicated Spur?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I've been installing an Accenta G3 mini and got it all working (quite pleased with myself :)

However, the manual recommends a dedicated spur to the main fuse board...

1) I don't have and spare breakers on my main fuse board, and

2) It would be extreemly difficult to get a spur back to the board.

Is it 'ok' to take a spur off a socket loop?

Yes, install a fused spur using the same size twin and earth as the socket you are spuring of (i.e. 2.5mm2, and fit it with a 3amp fuse. The fused spur should be adjacent to or next to the alarm control panel.

Guest IM_Alarms

And try to make sure that this circuit isn't on an RCD (earth leakage device) as a lot of socket circuits are and this may lead to nuisance tripping of the supply to the alarm panel........... not a good idea.

Is this not where part 'P' kicks in?

55526[/snapback]

As its not a new circuit or (I assume) in a kitchen or bathroom, part P (P is for P*ss take) does not apply.

Fire Member

Should do probably - But Ive heard rumours part P is going to run into trouble soon....

55527[/snapback]

Hope not, I've spent a small fortune on registration. (ECA want extra dosh while NIC lads get it for nowt!!!!

Fire Member

You can spur off an existing circuit, aslong as it's not in a kitchen or bathroom, as John says. You'll only have problems if you run a new circuit from the CU. How this is any more dangerous or difficult than spurring from an existing circuit I'll never know. Part P is just one big joke as far as I'm concearned, but let's not go there...

Trade Member

Archived