Security Installer Community

Dedicated Spur?

Guest Guest

Nothing wrong with connecting it to the lighting circuit. It's not usually the best idea because of the frequent bulb-blowing-MCB-tripping thing.

Not quite sure where the chasing cables down walls comes into it. There's usually a way to get a cable to the loft, either from a socket backing onto a cupboard or through some fishing up partition walls. You could even (usually) put it on the immersion circuit.

WRT smokes on lighting circuits, most will be wired with a dedicated circuit. It's only the odd few that are wired into lighting circuits IME.

bulbs(you mean lamps)blowing tend to trip rcd's not mcb's..most if not all new builds have split load db's with the lighting circs on the non rcd side..imo theres nothing wrong with tapping of the lighting circ as long as its protected by the correct fuse...+ smokes should have there own mcb that includes extensions in my council anyway had to fit a new db to house the new smokes...all 2 of them :realmad: well the db needed renewing anyway..all extra

Nothing wrong with connecting it to the lighting circuit. It's not usually the best idea because of the frequent bulb-blowing-MCB-tripping thing.

Not quite sure where the chasing cables down walls comes into it. There's usually a way to get a cable to the loft, either from a socket backing onto a cupboard or through some fishing up partition walls. You could even (usually) put it on the immersion circuit.

WRT smokes on lighting circuits, most will be wired with a dedicated circuit. It's only the odd few that are wired into lighting circuits IME.

hi lurch,

i bow to yours and others superior knokledge on this area, i'm no sparks but over the years like many others installed the alarm spur and automatic lighting (having been trained early days on Chubbs by a guy who was a sparks) but did not legislation come in late last/early this year which basically meant you can not legally do any electrical works now without being qualified, even in your own house? i probably misunderstood this legislation if so sorry for boring you guys.

but prior to this latest ammendment it was it not still a bit iffy (if you could not certify) as i understand it, say you fit a spur all well, good and properly safe, don't you the assume responsability of the whole of that circuit?. then say if you have tapped of a ring which served a wet area as well as the dry area where you 'tapped in' and someone gets hurt, do you become responsible for it?

i had a trained sparks and close freind working for me for 5 years, so felt quite safe from a legal standpoint. ande although i feel perfectly confident and capable, now he has gone back into his old employment being offered a dream job which i could not match the pay, i steer clear as i dont want the possible ramifications.

a valid point raised elswhere was the emergency short notice installation after a break-in, to keep clear of the above 'problem' i install the sytem as normal, then run a temp extension lead out to a socket fitting a 3amp fuse to the plug - well marked up of course, the client then gets a spur fitted by a registered sparks.

it's also a bit of a hark back to working for Combat Alarms, they advertised in Yelloow Pages a 4 hour response to install a system - how was it done? -:

husband picks up yellow pages with house trashed and wife in tears, see's advert and will even pay a premium to get some protection fast to reasure the wife and secure his battered 'castle'. so service engineer paged and sent to site with a temp control unit - you will love this :yes: - and a set of coffee table legs which screwed into it :rolleyes:.

the controls had a 3 meter flex lead and a fitted plug so you simply wacked it into a convenient socket. the only thing screwed down was the SAB, all the cables were run over doorways with elastaplast or band aids (so as not to mark paint) and contacts were done with ds tape.

i know many of the so called 'sage's will scoff and be typing 'typical cowboy firm blah blah so you must be blah blah bad example blah blah (hello again pete) ' but this gave the victims some restoration of security at a very high speed, so they usually bought the full proper system from Combat, having now 1st hand experience of Combats 'excellent' response - so scoff away, but you got to admit absolutely brilliant foot in door sales technique :yes:

i say think it through before you knock it, how long will it take you/your firm to respond? and i include all companies in this question registered or like mine not registered.

arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

but this gave the victims some restoration of security at a very high speed, so they usually bought the full proper system from Combat, having now 1st hand experience of Combats 'excellent' response - so scoff away, but you got to admit absolutely brilliant foot in door sales technique :yes:

Thought about it and its brill. Im going into the roofing business tomorrow. First i leaflet a whole neighbourhood Second i hire a helicopter and start knocking down chimneys. Third i wait for the calls to come in. Fourth ill not forget all you guys when i make my millions and i will drop in from time to time to keep up with you all.

Jef

Customers!

Thought about it and its brill. Im going into the roofing business tomorrow. First i leaflet a whole neighbourhood Second i hire a helicopter and start knocking down chimneys. Third i wait for the calls to come in. Fourth ill not forget all you guys when i make my millions and i will drop in from time to time to keep up with you all.

Jef

Jef, your gonna still need yellow pages though :P

:new_rofl:

arfur_mo

Oh Arfur..... I just can't wait to see the replies you are going to get to that...

i bet, can't wait for 'em Alarm Gaurd :P never one to duck out of an honest discussion - gobby all me life.

still, at least its a true story experienced directly by me in my 20's so not hearsay or conjector (and no, not the roaring ones - the farting ones after a curry) and i'm now late 50's :cry: .

i only worked for them for 9 months and earned an absolute fortune, times of 16 fold green shield stamps with petrol - i have still got some of the plates and glasses. i was the only one allowed to book 6p a mile all other only 2 or 3p. (old money) they were happy to pay (rare) )it as they knew i fixed and tested the alarms properly, no go backs. some engineers thinking they were 'clever' would go in, 5 mins max and sign it as done to run the milage up - so repeat 'free' call needed - i was more than happy to zig zag across london and home counties @ 6p a mile, i got nearly as much pay in milage as wages - if only the others knew - i had to agree to open my wage packet 2 miles from the office or there would have been a riot.

i had got married 4 weeks after i started, the car i had (should i say wreck) had a massive fuel tank, i used to drive in a garage and fill it up with fuel = 3-4 times the value of the car, i could see cashiers writing down the reg and having the door half open in case i did a runner.

but it was a burn-out job, on service 1 week on 1 week off standby. the week you were on call you worked all day and night, and the week you were off invariably you got called out to 3 or 4 jobs on the emergency installs. i actually did 4 and 5 days straight through several times, i decided it was getting to far dangerous driving so zombiefieid.

most of the calls were for flat batteries as routine maintenance was shall we say not a high priority :no: a real culture shock after working for Chubbs - but broadens your experience really quick, from doing everything to a laid down strict measured proceedure on pain of dismissal or worse, to flying headlong by the seat of your pants - mind you the installs were of a really high standard apparently to reduce calls outs - which was a bit perverse given they rarely serviced systems.

i know one or two who spend their sad spare time - actually it seems all of it :rolleyes: , tracking my posts down to rubbish me - am i bovvered :no: .bring it on

i won't name them as that would be imature and churlish - anyway i don't need to - they will be along soon to introduce themselves :whistle: so i've now given them plenty of ammo to work with to give them a fair chance.

regs

arfur_mo

i'm no sparks but over the years like many others installed the alarm spur and automatic lighting (having been trained early days on Chubbs by a guy who was a sparks) but did not legislation come in late last/early this year which basically meant you can not legally do any electrical works now without being qualified, even in your own house?

:hmm: Well we've always had the Electricity at Work Act 1989 & BS7671 which are largely ignored by the security industry, Part P is mainly for the plumbers & kitchen fitters to certify their bodges.

sent to site with a temp control unit - you will love this :yes: - and a set of coffee table legs which screwed into it :rolleyes:.

the controls had a 3 meter flex lead and a fitted plug so you simply wacked it into a convenient socket. the only thing screwed down was the SAB, all the cables were run over doorways with elastaplast or band aids (so as not to mark paint) and contacts were done with ds tape.

Temp cable's elastaplasted round the house :whistle: I call that a trip hazzard, in this day & age you will get sued.

Archived