Security Installer Community

CCTV in Schools, Nursery's or other Public Places.

morph

This topic has been started due to concern that some members have shown over fitting CCTV in Schools and Nursery's, what do you all think? is this wright or wrong ?

What special measure should we take fitting CCTV to areas like these?

I have opinions on 2 matters.

The principle. It's fine by me. There's no more (if not, less) risk to your child in a nursery covered by CCTV, than from a pervert watching a playground.

However, my only concern is the installation. I believe the installer should be vetted. Although, if work is carried out under supervision or out of hours, I don't really see a problem.

If you don't know......ask.

My son is has been in nursery since he was 4 months old (he now 3).

The nursery he is in is Ofsted inspected etc and they have CCTV cameras throughout the nursery as well as in Car park and adjacent front /rear doors.

As an parent i have always liked this - i know that everything that goes on at the nursery is monitored so should ,god forbid, anything happen then there will be CCTV evidence.

I asked the staff what they thought about the cameras and the general consensus was that after a few initial concerns they have just forget they are there and they look at them as an insurance policy for themselves - ie if there any complaints as to their actions they can just say to any aggrieved parent watch the CCTV video and judge for yourself.

on the subject of who fits it i would have assumed that the necessary authority's of a properly run nursery would have insisted on all companies being vetted as a matter of course where children are concerned.

Most installations are done as nursery is being built so babies/kids won,t be in residence and any work done after "opening" would have to be done out of hours or by special arrangement. No nursery manager in their right mind is going to let engineer loose with drills etc whilst kids are running around!!

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

How would you propose to vet them, weren't two policemen convicted of crimes the other day involving children?

43856[/snapback]

I would propose vetting to BS7858 and CRB checks, as Nova Security pointed out.

Not sure what crimes you're referring to. I know what you mean though, there is no guarantee, just minimising risk.

If you don't know......ask.

BS7858 and CRB checks,

I would agree, but nothing is fullproof and if you look at the Government and its imigration fiasco, who checks the checkers?

Dont think you could prevent a problem, but if you do your best to endure that the installers are reputable then what more can you do, after all we dont really have access to full criminal reccords and not forgetting the Rehabillitation of offenders act.

I would agree, but nothing is fullproof and if you look at the Government and its imigration fiasco, who checks the checkers?

Dont think you could prevent a problem, but if you do your best to endure that the installers are reputable then what more can you do, after all we dont really have access to full criminal reccords and not forgetting the Rehabillitation of offenders act.

43865[/snapback]

thats why its a police check..they tell the employer yes or no to whether they are suitable for work in the industry...and this debate started as to if it was right or wrong re dialling into the system and watching the kids..at least if someone was hanging around the school gates they would be challenged or beaten up depending where you live.. all school should have cctv but in house only with a dedicated user which being in a school should have been police checked..

Police Checks yes or no, conclusive vetting then.

Eng you need to get out more, sorry to burst your bubble but Vetting doesn't cure the problems your trying to prevent. The original topic never made any refference to whether they actually vet installers or not, you simply went off on one before finding out the facts.

How do you know the staff in the School or Nursery are okay, simply because a CRB records check says so, I dont think so. There was the school Janitor in Soham that was locked up for murder, surley he would have been checked out before he was employed.

What about the security gaurds using building CCTV to view playgrounds and houses etc doesn't the same principal apply or would vetting have solved the problem.

Theres problems in everthing we do in life, if we harp on about them nothing will ever get solved.

Trying to keep on topic, with respect to Nursery's and Schools.

What are peoples ideas and opinions of, for and against issues?

For

Protect crucial equipment from theft and vandalism.

Protection for staff and pupils with usefulness of video evidence.

Protection from outsiders.

Against

The possibilities off the misuse of information.

Possible effects it has on the people being monitored.

From experience work is generally done out of hours, or accompanied by a caretaker throughout.

Don't forget Schools close for long periods for holidays, most maintenance work is done during those periods.

Generally established companies will be invited in.

thats why its a police check..they tell the employer yes or no to whether they are suitable for work in the industry...and this debate started as to if it was right or wrong re dialling into the system and watching the kids..at least if someone was hanging around the school gates they would be challenged or beaten up depending where you live.. all school should have cctv but in house only with a dedicated user which being in a school should have been police checked..

43936[/snapback]

The uses of CCTV in a Nursery for the purposes of allowing parents with their children to be monitored remotely while their child is at the nursery is very different from opening up a Schools internal CCTV system to the internet.

School CCTV is usually kept in a secure office and monitored by office staff with limited access. It is generally used to monitor corridors, outside grounds and expensive equipment i.e. computer rooms.

I cant think of any viable reasons a schools CCTV system should have remote access. And I think you will find anyone involved in a Schools CCTV system wouldn't be there without first having the relevant checks.

Archived