Security Installer Community

Greetings from Australia

Grego

Another question, this time related to keypads. I have 2 x Mk7 keypads with prox. I noticed a photo on this site that had a resistor on the keypad wiring (see below).

KeypadWiring.png.fe1a2aa556d1b7f0997eaa740fc85db3.png\

So my question... If I connect 2 key/proxpads to my FX100+ I do so in series... in that I connect a cable between the FX100+ to the first keypad, and then run a cable from the first keypad to the second keypad?

Also, I assume both key/proxpads have a resistor installed on them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have several zones that are made up of windows that have reed switches and they go back to my current panel. The reed switches dont have individual resistors, and retro fitting is not an option. I assume I can install a 1k resister as per the diagram? Or do I need to do something else?

WindowZone.png.276bee6f4f21f29872ad4613c3dd2e60.png

All guidance appreciated.

15 minutes ago, Grego said:

I have several zones that are made up of windows that have reed switches and they go back to my current panel. The reed switches dont have individual resistors, and retro fitting is not an option. I assume I can install a 1k resister as per the diagram? Or do I need to do something else?

WindowZone.png.276bee6f4f21f29872ad4613c3dd2e60.png

All guidance appreciated.

Are they looped from window to window or some other configuration?

On 17/09/2023 at 21:47, al-yeti said:

Are they looped from window to window or some other configuration?

Yes, there are 'window' zones that are divided by windows on the north, south, east, and west sides of the house. Each window has a reed switch daisy chained to a 'zone' cable that runs back to the alarm panel. For example, a cable runs from the first window reed switch on the east facing side, to the next east window, and then the next... etc. From the last east facing window the cable runs back to the current alarm panel. The current alarm panel has a resistor on the panel connector (see photo up the top of this thread).

Doors are on separate individual zones. Retrofitting a resistor for each window reed switch would be challenging, as the cabling was installed when the house was constructed.

Hope this helps.

On 18/09/2023 at 02:29, sixwheeledbeast said:

You say it's not an option... but that's what I would do.

Wouldn't entertain all that stuff on one zone.

Yes, understood, and can see why it might be best option. Each window zone has at most 3 or 4 reed switches, some less. Retrofitting resistors to each reed switch would be significantly challenging as per the reasons I explained in the post above.