Security Installer Community

Upgrade from DS2 to AHD/TVI/CVI

Hello, due to my neighbour's ever-erratic behaviour including mooning at me it now looks like a full upgrade of my home CCTV system to something HD is in order. I have a number of Concept Pro and QVIS mini done and eyeball/turret cameras which are 4-mode compatiable (CVBS/AHD/TVI/CVI) and these are giving a decent picture even for the SD recording of my current DVR - my current DVR being a Dedicated Micros DS2. The unit is very good for functionality, apart from the audio recording being a tiny bit out of sync with the images, but the approx 700x500px recording resolution isn't really suitable anymore and neither is the obscure file format in which it exports footage..

I am looking for a DVR which will record analogue HD and be backwards compatiable with SD analogue so my current cameras can be used and upgraded piecemeal as and when my small budget will allow. I currently have my eyes on a Hikvision DS-7216HUHI-F2/S or a DS-7208HUHI-F1/N which seems to offer similar functionality to my DS2: scheduled day/night modes, alarm inputs, relay outputs, panic mode, event database search.... but my main query is can a remote keyboard/joystick controller be attached to these units or can they only be controlled by a USB mouse? My DS2 is mounted in a different location from the monitoring station due to noise levels and wiring constraints, so I need a DVR which can be mounted in the same place and be controlled remotely, ideally by means of a joystick type controller due to cameras 1 and 6 being full PTZ. If a DS-1004KI keyboard is compatiable then would it be connected in the "D+/D-" terminals in the DVR?

... In addition, do the OSD controls for PTZ allow for "WASH" and "WIPE" functions on the camera (ie, Aux1 and Aux2)? Three of my cameras use the WASH command to switch on an external speaker for the talkback function (there's no need for camera 6 in the back garden to boom out an audio challenge if it's somebody wandering around in the front garden that needs to be addressed) and two of my cameras use the WIPE command to toggle lights on or off whilst the third camera uses the toggle to activate a mag lock. If only a USB mouse can be used to control the system, has anybody tried 'extending' the reach of the mouse, so to say, by running the USB data lines over a wiring distance of about 25-30m and providing a 5v power supply at the far end so that the mouse is 25-30m away from the DVR but potentially still operates it?

Thanks in advance

As a side note, the Concept Pro mini domes have an electronic zoom lens but this is not controlled by the on-camera buttons - do these generally accept HIK-C coax protocol or some other format? I know they don't use Pelco-C coax protocol as I've tried it.

It's been said before but your going have much less hassle installing a full system with kit all matched together.

Some decent IP turrets will send and receive audio and alarms from the camera itself using TCP/IP.

No messing about trying to make different manufacturers compatible with each other. Single wire to each location with options of better image quality over 4-format turrets.

Unlikely to get more than 10-15m out of USB peripherals without some conversion. Have used HDMI/USB combiners myself to solve similar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrHappy said:

you buying used items from ebay ?

I don't believe this keyboard-

DS-1004KI PTZ Keyboard Hikvision

works with those machines, I think this keyboard is circa 8 year old

I bought loads of these of norbain couple years back maybe 200 at £15 each , sold them on eBay 

10 hours ago, MrHappy said:

for a tenner ?

Lol no be serious, £65-100

They sold like hot cakes , to much hikvision on the market allows the stuff to sell 

13 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

It's been said before but your going have much less hassle installing a full system with kit all matched together.

Some decent IP turrets will send and receive audio and alarms from the camera itself using TCP/IP.

No messing about trying to make different manufacturers compatible with each other. Single wire to each location with options of better image quality over 4-format turrets.

Unlikely to get more than 10-15m out of USB peripherals without some conversion. Have used HDMI/USB combiners myself to solve similar.

The problem with a full system install is I don't really have the budget for that, this is why I've been using a DS2 up to this point.

I was not aware of USB/HDMI combiners, do these work to amplify the signal so as to allow for longer cable runs? Doing a quick search only brings up things which plug into a phone's USB socket to provide a HDMI output....

They come in pairs require local power and send both over UTP. Distance varies based on Category of the cable Cat5e/Cat6 etc.

Search "HDMI/USB over Cat5"

If you don't go the full system route you will end up buying convertors or other tat to get all the functionality you want to retain to work if it's compatible at all.

It's highly possible the PTZ aspect or some of this functionality you have is not really required.

Hard to say without seeing the site, you make the site sound like an average detached domestic property with neighbours, while what you explain of the system feels like it was designed back in the 90's, for a scrapyard with night guards...

It's worth noting that the main reason I'm looking at upgrading to HD Analogue is for a quick installation - any time I have to do any work at the side or front of the property I get the next door neighbour taking photos of me either from an upstairs window or from his side passage (sometimes getting his kids to take photos) or otherwise making threats, so the less time I have to spend down the side or front doing wiring then the better. All my conduit routes are full to capacity and so an IP system would require a full rewire of my conduit; the front camera can be wired to an ethernet switch without too much bother, but the front camera is PTZ and requires at least 4 alarm inputs as well as aux relays. I already have a suitable AHD PTZ ball type camera ready for installation at the front. The front PTZ uses PIR's in order to position the camera suitably, including telephoto for the front door. There is a seperate PTZ dome at the back as there are multiple external doors in different locations for different outbuildings as well as the back of the main house. I have wondered whether panoramic fisheye cameras would do more or less the same job as the PTZ's if I had to go down the route of an IP based system which didn't have PTZ functionality; but that still doesn't solve the fact of the DVR being located remotely from the monitoring points.

I dunno whether Axis, Bosch or Vista offer Analogue HD DVR's that may be suitable - I'd require something with at least 4 alarm inputs but ideally more, search by activity as well as quick rewind or search by time/date, at least 2 audio recording inputs but ideally more, at least 2 aux outputs, ideally remote keyboard/joystick support, day/night schedule ideally (so as to provide different alarm functions), network support, Pelco P 9600 baud RS485 bus, at least 1 HDMI output - if such an output can be split for multiple monitors this would be OK but otherwise then a seperate output for at least 1 other monitor would be required (possibly 2) - these additional monitor(s) currently only have a CVBS input. Additional features such as privacy masking/blurring, intrustion detection, corridor mode would be a bonus.

Edited by Nelboy